Why become a member? ×

Overplaying 😯

White Cloud

Few years ago, i was bandless for a wile, then i got an inivitation in face book if i am interested to join the band (pop rock). I went to rehearsal and was told that they where allready searching for me and heard me playing also. Then they said, "ok, let's see what can You do, play something alone, we will listen". I said "ok", thought some seconds and played to them "Donna Lee", in a good speed. When i ended, the leader - vocalist automaticaly said - "sorry, we don't need You". It all just took about 5 minutes. Nothing for me to do, i just packed my bag and went home. Nice story, isn't it ?

• Confused 1

2 minutes ago, Lozz196 said:

That’s a strange one, I wonder what the thoughts/reasons behind that were

I think it can be said like "overplaying", seems that they thought i will always play only solo in all their songs everytime. They even didn't want to jam with me on 4 chords to see what will happen !

1 hour ago, nilorius said:

Few years ago, i was bandless for a wile, then i got an inivitation in face book if i am interested to join the band (pop rock). I went to rehearsal and was told that they where allready searching for me and heard me playing also. Then they said, "ok, let's see what can You do, play something alone, we will listen". I said "ok", thought some seconds and played to them "Donna Lee", in a good speed. When i ended, the leader - vocalist automaticaly said - "sorry, we don't need You". It all just took about 5 minutes. Nothing for me to do, i just packed my bag and went home. Nice story, isn't it ?

I can’t work out if this is satire or not 😄

2 minutes ago, wateroftyne said:

I can’t work out if this is satire or not 😄

Sorry,I don't know what ''satire'' means, but if it means - joke, then, no. This boogy happened for real. So every one who playes bass and have the situation where i was - don't play "Donna Lee, Teen town, Mr.Pastorius or something like that". It can end up bad.

1 hour ago, nilorius said:

Sorry,I don't know what ''satire'' means, but if it means - joke, then, no. This boogy happened for real. So every one who playes bass and have the situation where i was - don't play "Donna Lee, Teen town, Mr.Pastorius or something like that". It can end up bad.

I honestly don’t know why they asked you to play anything solo. Or why 99% of musicians would want to hear Jaco’s bass part on Donna Lee. There’s just no version of that scenario that involves winning.

Edited by wateroftyne
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, chris_b said:

You go to audition for a pub rock band and play them a Charlie Parker tune!!!

And the they said no thanks.

Not a surprising outcome at all.

Well maybe they didn't knew the song, but at least guitarist should saw that there is everything ok with my technique and ask for some jam or quickly told me the chords from one of their own songs to see the otherside.

17 hours ago, nilorius said:

You did the Jazz Odyssey for a festival crowd...

• Haha 1

Yeah, wrong choice, you obviously should have played "Smoke on the Water". ;)

Seriously what the flip did they expect, you playing root notes from songs solo in 5 minutes straight?

Just doesn't make any sense.

It's like in that ancient Icelandic saga where a woman is tested on her wits by being told to neither come naked nor dressed, neither fed nor fasting, and neither alone nor in company for a date.

Makes me wonder how they auditioned their drummer and how he ever managed to pass.

If they wanted a bass player who doesn't womble but serve the song, fair enough, but then you would think they would have wanted to actually hear you in the context of the band actually playing songs.

I'd say probably for the best you didn't get the job cause obviously they were retards. 

Edited by Baloney Balderdash

20 hours ago, jonno1981 said:

There is a fine line between adding some colour, personality and a bit of individuality and it becoming a muso w@nkfest. 
As others have said, you’ve got to serve your audience and the song. I’d be peed off as a punter if you played a tune with a proper classic bass line and the bassist changed it too much. 

Ime the line isn't fine at all. A bassline that is a bit different is nothing like the odd festival of unmemorable it has been my misfortune to witness.

• Like 1

I think something could be lost in translation here.

Reading directly "they didn't need you<r awesome chops>". Perhaps the singer thought he was doing you a favour by releasing you to find a better band?

31 minutes ago, Baloney Balderdash said:

Yeah, wrong choice, you obviously should have played "Smoke on the Water". ;)

Seriously what the flip did they expect, you playing root notes from songs solo in 5 minutes straight?

Just doesn't make any sense.

Makes me wonder how they auditioned their drummer and how he ever managed to pass.

If they wanted a bass player who doesn't womble but serve the song, fair enough, but then you would think they would have wanted to actually hear you in the context of the band actually playing songs.

I'd say probably for the best you didn't get the job cause obviously they were retards. 

Really depends on the band. Jaco would have destroyed The Cure and Dempsey or Gallop would have been useless in Weather Report. Possibly best outcome for all parties. Band may have required a really minimal player or been more interested in the aesthetic/image. Can only really guess without asking why.

Edited by tegs07

22 minutes ago, tegs07 said:

Really depends on the band. Jaco would have destroyed The Cure and Dempsey or Gallop would have been useless in Weather Report.

The point is however that he is not actually Jaco, and just because he played Jaco doesn't mean that is the only thing he can do or that he can't also serve simpler rock tunes, or wouldn't have fitted into a band doing so.

It's a matter of their inquiry not proving anything or being suited to test whether he fit into the band or not.

For one I enjoy some complex jazz tunes as well as some much more simple rock songs. 

Their method of auditioning simply doesn't make any sense, there is no logical reasoning behind it (in that case it is at best faulty logic), and it is simply not a valid test, especially not for a bass player, as the alternative, as I wrote, would be him playing root notes for 5 minute straight solo, which would have proven exactly just as little (or actually it would in fact have proven even less).

It would have made sense though if being able to read minds were their main criteria for a bass player.

As I edited in in my original reply (while you were writing your reply): 

It's like in that ancient Icelandic saga where a woman is tested on her wits by being told to neither come naked nor dressed, neither fed nor fasting, and neither alone nor in company for a date.

21 minutes ago, Baloney Balderdash said:

The point is however that he is not actually Jaco, and just because he played Jaco doesn't mean that is the only thing he can do or that he can't also serve simpler rock tunes, or wouldn't have fitted into a band doing so.

It's a matter of their inquiry not proving anything or being suited to test whether he fit into the band or not.

For one I enjoy some complex jazz tunes as well as some much more simple rock songs. 

Their method of auditioning simply doesn't make any sense, there is no logical reasoning behind it (in that case it is at best faulty logic), and it is simply not a valid test, especially not for a bass player, as the alternative, as I wrote, would be him playing root notes for 5 minute straight solo, which would have proven exactly just as little (or actually it would have proven even less).

It would have made sense though if being able to read minds were their main criteria for a bass player.

As I edited in in my original reply (while you were writing your reply): 

Problem is without the context we are all just guessing. We don’t know what type of music they play, what their personalities are or their political etc etc. I’m sure this could be researched in advance in the same way as say going to an interview for a hipster soho media company or a city of london bank, they will be looking for different individuals to slot into the existing team and culture. 

At college I went to join a band and after 15 minutes it was clear they were all massive football fans and wanted to be a Madchester clone band. No thanks. Similarly in later life I had an interview for a major US Accountancy firm in the city. All flash, swaggering big fancy watch  squash playing types. I would have been a poor fit regardless of ability.

Edited by tegs07

2 hours ago, tegs07 said:

Problem is without the context we are all just guessing. We don’t know what type of music they play, what their personalities are or their political etc etc. I’m sure this could be researched in advance in the same way as say going to an interview for a hipster soho media company or a city of london bank, they will be looking for different individuals to slot into the existing team and culture. 

Sure, fair point, however that doesn't change the fact that their method of auditioning would prove little about a given bass player's actual qualifications to play in their band, and that there would have been far more obvious and effective ways to actually test this (that is at least if the main objective is to find out whether the applicant/candidate's playing suits the band, rather than testing the applicant/candidate's ability to conduct research and solve riddles).

Also the analogy is not quite accurate, as it is really easy to test a bass players ability in actual action, while that is not really a convenient method for testing candidates for a job in a bank.

Also him playing Jaco tells absolutely nothing about how well he would fit into the band, neither on a personal, social, skill or playing style level, and neither really would him having played just about anything else, which is my main point.

Enjoying and being able to play Jaco doesn't in any possible way rule out anything else (though, assuming it is done right and well, it at least does prove a certain level of technical proficient, unlike churning out root notes).

Again though, true, we don't know the full context, so could very well be that this was not actually the only deciding factor, however, commenting on the actual information that we did get, that still doesn't make that particular method an actual valid way to test/prove anything whatsoever, except maybe for complete lack of skills (that is as a valid method to detect lack of skills, but nothing else, and beyond that otherwise to conclude anything concerning the nature of the applicant/candidate's personality, general taste, general personal playing style and ability to adapt and fit in, would be faulty logic, likely to be based on prejudices alone, hence my initial comment about them obviously being retards), which conclusively actually would make playing something that would require a high level of skills seem like the obvious and most logical choice.

So alone judging from the information we were given it seems like the real reason that he was turned down was that he had too high thoughts about his fellow human being's ability to think rationally and failed at being able to read their minds (which sadly seems to be the shortcoming and following downfall of many a reasonable person). ;)

The correct answer when being asked "Can you play a bass solo", in an audition is:

"I can, but no one wants to hear bass solos."

Actually, it's the correct answer at all times...

Edited by TimR
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, TimR said:

The correct answer when being asked "Can you play a bass solo", in an audition is:

"I can, but no one wants to hear bass solos."

Actually, it's the correct answer at all times...

It's kind of a cliché, and I don't agree either, still in the context that was actually pretty funny. :i-m_so_happy:

2 hours ago, Baloney Balderdash said:

So alone judging from the information we were given it seems like the real reason that he was turned down was that he had too high thoughts about his fellow human being's ability to think rationally and failed at being able to read their minds (which sadly seems to be the shortcoming and following downfall of many a reasonable person). ;)

Or they'd decided within ten seconds of meeting him that they didn't want him and were letting him down gently.

• Like 2