Why become a member? ×

Are we being discriminated against .

Ralf1e

It's a difficult one.

Even my favourite music is annoying if I don't want to listen to anything.

I'm now lucky enough to be in a detached house, but when I was in flats or terraced places I either made sure my neighbours were out or I played at a volume low enough that it could not be heard through the walls at all.

In the absence of agreement with a neighbour I don't think anything else is fair.

I do realise that many will disagree with me, but that is one of the reasons I moved to a pretty poor condition detached and then slowly did it up (still happening after more than a decade - as I tell my wife, everything is in the planning and I don't like to rush things).

• Like 1

Usually I'm the one making noise and think earplugs or noise-cancelling headphones are a good solution for people that are annoyed by it. But it does need to be within reason.

I had to go out of my house at 2am a week or so ago as a car of lads was parked directly outside playing music really loud for well over an hour with a massive car soundsystem. I was feeling it could've turned into a 'falling down' type situation but they drove off without much hassle. Yesterday I noticed the front of the house had been egged - I've turned into an old man!

18 minutes ago, SumOne said:

Usually I'm the one making noise and think earplugs or noise-cancelling headphones are a good solution for people that are annoyed by it. But it does need to be within reason.

I disagree with that quite a lot.

We all have the right to "quiet enjoyment" of our homes. That means we shouldn't be forced to consider ear plugs etc due to the actions of others. That isn't quiet enjoyment - that's having to take steps to deal with the selfishness of others.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, fretmeister said:

We all have the right to "quiet enjoyment" of our homes. That means we shouldn't be forced to consider ear plugs etc due to the actions of others. That isn't quiet enjoyment - that's having to take steps to deal with the selfishness of others.

Totally agree on that

13 minutes ago, fretmeister said:

Yeah, I do agree with you. People should be considerate of others and houses should be built with good noise insulation and not all right on top of each other...but failing that, noise cancelling headphones work really well. I'm mostly saying that as I've lived in some pretty crappy and noisy places: next door to a pub, above a restaurant on a high street, sharing in a dorm type room with no door, in a block with other flats above below and on either side, and noise cancelling headphones kept me reasonably sane.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, OliverBlackman said:

Well last night a neighbour (about 6 houses away but it’s a small cul-de-sac) had a Eurovision party until 3am that was very loud. I will therefore be swapping my 300w combo for a 1000w rig and playing at full volume until further notice. 

I'd say that's fair enough (the Eurovision party). Partying at the weekend is reasonable; and 3am is reasonable for a decent party. 

Any pics? Did you dress up for the party? Or stay at home, being miserable???

Been battling this for years with bass which carries like a whale call.  Way I see it is...Place yourself in your neighbours shoes living next to someone for eg learning a loud instrument with all the squeaks, fluffs and downright pain coming though the walls...enough to drive u nuts. It is encumbent on the person making noise to manage the problem and be reasonable but a blanket catch all is totally wrong.

My neighbour said recently with some attitude he could hear me practising my cello. I'm in a detached room with blankets all around and a mute on the bridge....ffs! His room is 15 feet away!

Seems compromise on all sides is the way forward and this grey suited twerp from LBC needs to be invited upstairs for a chat.

Edited by greavesbass

1 hour ago, greavesbass said:

Been battling this for years with bass which carries like a whale call.  Way I see it is...Place yourself in your neighbours shoes living next to someone for eg learning a loud instrument with all the squeaks, fluffs and downright pain coming though the walls...enough to drive u nuts. It is encumbent on the person making noise to manage the problem and be reasonable but a blanket catch all is totally wrong.

My neighbour said recently with some attitude he could hear me practising my cello. I'm in a detached room with blankets all around and a mute on the bridge....ffs! His room is 15 feet away!

Seems compromise on all sides is the way forward and this grey suited twerp from LBC needs to be invited upstairs for a chat.

My crude guess is he the Noise traffic agent from the original link would have seen it differently if he had been invited in to her Knickers.

Maybe he is already in the opponents Knickers.

Poo happens.

Edited by Ralf1e
better explanation
  • Haha 1

You should hear the absolute racket my neighbour makes. It’s usually his TV, though the other night at 3am he was shouting, hammering and banging.

Luckily, I was still up, playing my drums, otherwise he’d have woken me up.

• Haha 7

36 minutes ago, ambient said:

You should hear the absolute racket my neighbour makes. It’s usually his TV, though the other night at 3am he was shouting, hammering and banging.

Luckily, I was still up, playing my drums, otherwise he’d have woken me up.

I hope you were playing in time otherwise you might have woken him up 🤣

My wife who is a drummer says yeah "give me all your loving" bang bang bang bang

We have upstairs neighbours with noisy kids and next door have a woofy dog, so I feel that as long as I'm not ridiculous with playing music nobody is likely to complain. I still keep it to daytime hours and rarely use an amp. If I'm practicing something repetitive on double bass I'll use f-hole plugs and a rubber practice mute on the bridge, which hopefully makes it a bit more tolerable. Soundproofing is definitely lacking in our building, an ex-council "cottage flat", so coping with that is mostly a matter of attitude and being on reasonable terms with the neighbours. 

On 12/05/2023 at 10:47, fretmeister said:

I agree to some extent, but not to the extent of absolute silence which some people seem to expect or feel entitled to. Complaining about small amounts of noise is just as selfish as making excessive amounts.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Count Bassy said:

the absolute silence which some people seem to expect or feel entitled to

The @rse who complained about our band from 400m away also complained to the local farmer about sheep noise... And he reported his direct neighbour "for burning noxious waste and making excessive noise" - on investigation it turned out the burning in question was on 5th November, and the excessive noise was kids going ooh and aah as fireworks went off.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Count Bassy said:

I agree to some extent, but not to the extent of absolute silence which some people seem to expect or feel entitled to. Complaining about small amounts of noise is just as selfish as making excessive amounts.

Exactly. Expecting absolute silence when one lives in any kind of urban environment is utterly unreasonable. Even out in the sticks, it's not achievable. I'm sitting typing this in rural Hampshire with the patio doors open and the bloody birds are squawking away, some selfish so and so is mowing his lawn (the audacity of the man) and a blasted helicopter has just flown over. Disgraceful. I'm going to send a strongly worded letter of complaint to my local council.

On 14/05/2023 at 15:03, anzoid said:

Also here: https://www.theguardian.com/music/2023/may/14/musician-forced-london-flat-fiona-fey-mediaeval-babes-noise-abatement
With a few more details in about rehearsing with others that don't appear in the change.org petition.

Maybe the fact she's from the group Mediaeval Baebes will help bring attention to the issue...

I can't belive anyone would consider a group practice in a 1st floor flat, acceptable.

I suspect she'd already pushed the limit by playing a piano several hours a day. 

On 14/05/2023 at 10:42, paul_c2 said:

I'd say that's fair enough (the Eurovision party). Partying at the weekend is reasonable; and 3am is reasonable for a decent party. 

Any pics? Did you dress up for the party? Or stay at home, being miserable???

At 3am I was trying to sleep, like most people do at 3am….

2 hours ago, Dan Dare said:

Exactly. Expecting absolute silence when one lives in any kind of urban environment is utterly unreasonable. Even out in the sticks, it's not achievable. I'm sitting typing this in rural Hampshire with the patio doors open and the bloody birds are squawking away, some selfish so and so is mowing his lawn (the audacity of the man) and a blasted helicopter has just flown over. Disgraceful. I'm going to send a strongly worded letter of complaint to my local council.

If the noise is sufficient to keep people awake in the early hours, that isn’t reasonable no matter where you live (with the exception of student halls). If you want to make noise that late, go to somewhere with a license to be that noisy.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, OliverBlackman said:

If the noise is sufficient to keep people awake in the early hours, that isn’t reasonable no matter where you live (with the exception of student halls). If you want to make noise that late, go to somewhere with a license to be that noisy.

I think you're right. Reasonable would be to party to 11pm or midnight then turn the noise down, but I think most people would ignore it for one night. You'd probably get one person complaining if they had to be up in the morning. 

This kind of thing really depends on past history, generally people who hold house parties tend to be repeat offenders.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TimR said:

I can't belive anyone would consider a group practice in a 1st floor flat, acceptable.

I suspect she'd already pushed the limit by playing a piano several hours a day. 

I've had two or three people on acoustic instruments (no drums, no amps) in stone built tenement flats, no later than early evening without any complaints, but I feel like that wouldn't work in my current flat.

Matey boy has his music on again. I think it's probably more that it's that dreary winey Oasis. How many times can you listen to one album? 

Please make it stop, it's awful. 

I'm off to band practice...

Edited by TimR