Why become a member? ×

G&L Tribute LB-100 vs SB-2

Supernaut

A bit one- sided for me as I own an SB-2 Tribute and have never tried an LB100.

The SB-2 is great.

It doesn't quite do "that" P-bass tone, though, even with the J turned right down. 

What it does do is more varied. 

Do be aware that it's only got 2x volume controls. 

The way that these can be used to cancel / augment each other is surprisingly varied. 

Plus it's got the MFD pickups in it, which are superb; quite hot, but full of character. 

The MFD J is one of the few that I've heard that can hold it's own against the P, or even solo'd.

Fit and finish is good, and it's a solidly built and eminently giggable bass.

Edited by Lfalex v1.1
  • Like 1

The LB is like a normal P bass and the SB has MFD pickups so I imagine it will be hotter than the LB. But you can`t really lose, go with whatever one you find sexier! :D

And the LB neck is more of a handful than the other if that makes a difference to you.

Edited by jezzaboy

I've had both (Tribute).

The SB-2 is very high output (been mistaken for an active by sound engineer), and it's really its own tone.  Body is smaller than a regular P (cinched waist).  Neck is Jazz width, but reasonably deep front to back.  No tone control, as already pointed out.

The LB-100 is G&L's P bass - "regular" Alnico split P - very nice sounding P pickup.  Body still a bit streamlined vs. a regular P but not to the same degree as the SB-2.  Neck is P width.  Regular controls (vol/tone).

IMO If you want a P bass, get the LB-100.  If you want a quintessentially G&L product that kinda looks like a P, get the SB-2.

• Like 3

I've had both too and echo what others have said

The MFD pickups on my new to me early MIK big Tribute logo SB-2 are very, very loud for a passive bass. Feels like it's got a longer neck than 21 frets and I always liked the placement and tone of the bridge single coil too. (I had a USA Custom shop SB-2 many moons ago)

The Tribute LB-100 I had was a great P bass. I just found the neck had, for me, an unusually big profile.

Andertons had new LB-100s at less than half the price of a Mexican player Precision which is just crazy cheap for the amount of bass you get for your money.  

I've never tried an LB-100 (or any other Tribute than the L2000, as it's been the only lefty Tribute bass until the Fallout came along) but I did own a USA-made SB-2. As others have pointed out, it's a hell of a lot louder and hotter than a traditional P bass. The MFD splitcoil is incredibly hot, and the bridge pickup soloed feels underwhelming in output compared to the splitcoil. But it offers some really cool and unique tonal options. With the neck volume at 75% it's about as hot as a traditional P bass, and there's a little treble roll-off. The bridge pickup can serve as its tone control: Blending in the bridge pickup adds some bite, some slight mid scoop and a wide variety of blend options. I liked mine a lot, and really shouldn't have sold it. It's one of the many basses and guitars that I've owned that I would appreciate a lot more now than I did when I owned it, because I always just turned all the controls on my amp as close to neutral as I could and all the controls on the bass fully up and didn't like tinkering with onboard controls. That's changed, and it has opened up tonal options I never really explored before. 

• Like 1

The LB-100, of course. It's G&L's answer to the Fender P bass.

The SB-2 is a completely different bass. It doesn't have a vintage P-bass pickup. Even without the bridge pickup it can't be considered a traditional P bass.

PhotoCollage_1683284753226.jpg

Edited by jd56hawk

1 minute ago, Supernaut said:

Has anyone had pickup humming issues with either model? 

Full disclosure - the shielding on my LB-100 was fsking awful - a half assed attempt with shielding paint.  It was found out by the... interesting electrics in our rehearsal room.  I got the slug tape out.  Quiet as a mouse now.

The pickup in and of itself didn't hum, and I don't recall having any bother with my SB-2, but I think I was using different rehearsal rooms when I had it.