Why become a member? ×

Passive lightweight 5 string recommendations

IanA

As the title says… Do any of you have any suggestions for a nice light weight passive 5 string? Preferably jazz style but poss precision as well, maybe even something a little different…

cost wise probably around £2k… ish, will probably sell my Sadowsky modern to fund it

Edited by IanA

2 minutes ago, TheGreek said:

I don't have any experience of them but they seemed to be well regarded. Have you tried any of the Ibanez range?

Alternatively, with a £2K budget @Andyjr1515 could build you whatever you want (if he isn't already inundated).

I do like the look of some of the Ibanez stuff… maybe I should get down to guitar guitar and check some out…

The SR5005 looks gorgeous but they seem to come in quite heavy…

11 minutes ago, TheGreek said:

Wry lovely! There is one of those on the sale section at the moment I think…

I have been looking at @Owen L1000… The colour is the only thing that has me on the fence… Having said that it would likely look great on stage!

20 minutes ago, fretmeister said:

You can order a Sandberg TT5 as a passive Superlight. Or find a used one and make it passive.

The active one I had was under 7lb.

Am I right in saying that BD are the only Uk distributor for the SL basses.

Yours was a sweet looking instrument… I was very close to pulling the trigger on that!

12 hours ago, IanA said:

Am I right in saying that BD are the only Uk distributor for the SL basses.

Yours was a sweet looking instrument… I was very close to pulling the trigger on that!

No, GUITARGUITAR sometimes have them, and so does Classic & Cool Guitars.

I ordered my Superlight Lionel through Classic & Cool.

But BD usually have the best stock.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Moving Pictures said:

I’m very happy with my roasted pine American Pro II Jazz V. Light weight, balances nicely and sounds good. Worth investigating. Pictured here with my Xotic Jazz V, which is also light. 

IMG_0536.thumb.jpeg.b00011e8bf48287721690a8cd44094f2.jpeg

Thanks for that, I have asked Anderson’s to weigh the ones that they have there to see if they might be suitable 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, IanA said:

Thanks for that, I have asked Anderson’s to weigh the ones that they have there to see if they might be suitable 

Andertons have always refused to weigh stuff for me over the years. Every time they've just told me that I can rely on the returns process. Even when I've pointed out that I might need to go through every one they had in stock.

GG have weighed stuff, and GAK have always been really helpful for that too.

Peach weigh all their stuff and put the weights and serial numbers on the website.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, fretmeister said:

Andertons have always refused to weigh stuff for me over the years. Every time they've just told me that I can rely on the returns process. Even when I've pointed out that I might need to go through every one they had in stock.

That's not good customer service. It's like refusing to tell you what colour or how many strings a bass has.