Why become a member? ×

Which wireless?

M@23

2 hours ago, Paul S said:

Could always stick the dongle in a strap-mounted holder and use an extension lead into the output jack?

That's what I would do.

(That's what I do with a Nux MP2 AmpPlug thingy, as I don't like it sticking out on my bass)

38 minutes ago, warwickhunt said:

Agree (even though I use one)... now if only you could ditch the useless plastic and just put the chip internal on the bass!  No dongle, no cable; it would drive tech savvy watchers mad at a gig.  LOL

oooh, that's an interesting idea! Especially the bit about driving observers crazy :D

10 hours ago, EBS_freak said:

Daft - wireless tech goes obsolete.

Tech gets smaller/cheaper over time (generalisation, caveat being next level is inherently dearer initially) and it could be an internal chip slot to fit the next upgrade.  Replace jack sockets with push/push switches to turn off and then no mods needed to bodies or scratch-plates... I must stop giving away my ideas till the patents opens!  :)

Well .. I’ve decided to return my Boss WL-50 and I’ve ordered the Shure GLXD16+ !!

I like the idea of the tuner and dual band 

Now question for other users where do you have the transmitter ? Back pocket, belt, strap or strap holster ? 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, BassAdder60 said:

Well .. I’ve decided to return my Boss WL-50 and I’ve ordered the Shure GLXD16+ !!

Now question for other users where do you have the transmitter ? Back pocket, belt, strap or strap holster ? 

On the strap in a holster. I find it the least problematic when taking the bass on and off. I have used a few over the years, Neotech being the one that has remained in situ. Do a google search on wireless pouch to have a look at which floats your boat.

You'll find out why you dont want it on your back pocket or belt the first time when you forget to unclip it and look like an idiot... or the unit falls to the floor.

Clipped onto the strap is great, until it slips off and gravity takes over.  

Edited by EBS_freak
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, EBS_freak said:

On the strap in a holster. I find it the least problematic when taking the bass on and off. I have used a few over the years, Neotech being the one that has remained in situ. Do a google search on wireless pouch to have a look at which floats your boat.

You'll find out why you dont want it on your back pocket or belt the first time when you forget to unclip it and look like an idiot... or the unit falls to the floor.

Clipped onto the strap is great, until it slips off and gravity takes over.  

Is the Neotech one the medium size pouch ? 

16 minutes ago, BassAdder60 said:

Is the Neotech one the medium size pouch ? 

I use the Neotech small size for my ULXD1 transmitter.

ULXD1 is 86 mm × 66 mm × 23 mm (3.4 in. × 2.6 in. × 0.9 in.) H × W × D

GLXD1 is 115mm x 66.94mm x 28.51 mm (4.5in.  x 2.6in. x 1.1 in) - found out this is without antenna

EDIT:

Medium Neotech is 

4" x 2.5" x 0.8" (10.2cm x 6.4cm x 2cm)

My email tells me that I'm using -

image.thumb.png.e6de9cbb0a1d14c0043775646f069927.png

and

image.thumb.png.15ccb0e2c05d4b463dd2cbe2a3de2d26.png

Another edit.... Hang on... 

EDIT: going by the dimensions, I dont think Neotech is the route to go for GLXD!

Edited by EBS_freak

22 minutes ago, BassAdder60 said:

I just got mine delivered about an hour ago and its absolutely solid, quite heavy and solid construction. The tuner is super accurate so my polythene is off the board and likely retiring now, I am doing an outdoor show later today so will report back how it goes! I have ordered a Levy's holster which should be here later so won't be here in time for the gig unfortunately so will either have it on the strap or in my back pocket.

IMG_7253.jpg

Edited by maidens97
  • Like 4

3 minutes ago, EBS_freak said:

I use the Neotech small size for my ULXD1 transmitter.

ULXD1 is 86 mm × 66 mm × 23 mm (3.4 in. × 2.6 in. × 0.9 in.) H × W × D

GLXD1 is 115mm x 66.94mm x 28.51 mm (4.5in.  x 2.6in. x 1.1 in)

It may fit... as there's a bit of stretch... but cant say for certain. GLXD1 looks to be quite a bit taller.

Are you using a wireless set-up for your bass, Russ? If so, which one did you go for?

24 minutes ago, BassAdder60 said:

Levys strap pouch 👌

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, BassAdder60 said:

I’ve ordered the Neotech medium for now 

Now what about a spare cable ?? 

Anyone making these on eBay ?  

I have just ordered one of these ones, I'll be using this one instead as it is a right angle jack instead. The one provided is very high quality though but is a straight jack. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/151008769692?_trkparms=amclksrc%3DITM%26aid%3D777008%26algo%3DPERSONAL.TOPIC%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20221115143056%26meid%3D3017093d04864a3386613f0b464710bf%26pid%3D101612%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D1%26itm%3D151008769692%26pmt%3D0%26noa%3D1%26pg%3D4375194%26algv%3DRecentlyViewedItemsV2%26brand%3DNeutrik&_trksid=p4375194.c101612.m4236&_trkparms=parentrq%3A921986f51890a4f16f8bc610ffffcf4a|pageci%3A18ba8ef4-2bad-11ee-81b9-22f8284f7967|iid%3A1|vlpname%3Avlp_homepage

Edited by maidens97

33 minutes ago, EBS_freak said:

I use Shure ULX-D.

Cheers - not come across too many folk using that one - looks like it's a serious bit of kit!

Grateful if you could cover the key benefits of that unit over the GLXD / GLXD+ systems which would justify the additional spend?

2 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Cheers - not come across too many folk using that one - looks like it's a serious bit of kit!

Grateful if you could cover the key benefits of that unit over the GLXD / GLXD+ systems which would justify the additional spend?

Off the top of my head...

Encryption

Ability to put on a network and configure remotely using Wireless Workbench (plus remote monitoring of battery life etc)

High Density mode (run more units at lower power (e.g. 12 units typically fit in channel 38, in high density mode, this runs into the 100s)

Dante output - do audio over IP (on dual+ receivers)

Rackable to RF distribution units

All metal constuction

Wide tuneable range not in 2.4/5 Ghz (e.g. in licensable frequency ranges)

Lower latency (2.9 vs 4+ (see previous conversations above))

30mw vs 10mw transmission

Ummm..... I think 48khz vs 44.1khz (not sure on GLXD+) - but notable as Dante favours 48 and 96khz...

As you will see, most of the differences are to make the ULXD tour friendly where there's likely to be a lot more radio being deployed. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, BassAdder60 said:

I’m probably in the minority, but my transmitter stays with me, clipped onto the outside of my back pocket. The clips on these are really strong and I’ve not had an issue with them falling off. I like to keep the transmitter with me so when I change basses I can stay with the same pack. I have another transmitter, but that’s on rotation when the charge in the other one runs out.

24 minutes ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

I’m probably in the minority, but my transmitter stays with me, clipped onto the outside of my back pocket. The clips on these are really strong and I’ve not had an issue with them falling off. I like to keep the transmitter with me so when I change basses I can stay with the same pack. I have another transmitter, but that’s on rotation when the charge in the other one runs out.

I always take the clip off, pop it in the Levys pouch and mount it on the strap. Changing basses I just unplug then unclip the strap locks and swap strap and trans. 

Edited by walshy