Why become a member? ×

Which wireless?

M@23

I will just say that if you have a lot of stuff going on there are free apps for your phone that measure wi-fi congestion. Even the stuff that uses non standard frequencies usually has a conversation chart in the manual, so you can do a scan of a venue and then place your stuff (both in terms of what channel it's set to and physical place) accordingly.

I'm not at a gig right now but I fired up the app on my phone and you can see our two access points at home (the green ones) out of the way of our neighbors, various red and purple. You can see how congested channel one is, as most cheap home routers are set there by default and not many people can be bothered or know that they should move them. My stuff is on channel 8 (and blasting most of 5 to 10 by proxy) so the best channels to place a new device would be 3, 4, 13 or 14.

If you're having trouble at a venue is a great thing to be able to visualise what's going on.

Screenshot_20230518-225603.png

Edited by Jack
  • Like 1

On 17/05/2023 at 21:39, oldslapper said:

The only concern I have about the WL20 is that reviews state that they’re suited for passive pickups, not active and I swap between active and passive. Do you guys use both/either? 
Thanks.

John 

I think that that's due to the way that WL20s charge, using a stereo jack, which wouldn't necessarily be compatible with the stereo jack socket used to switch active basses on (ISTR reading here that some makes of active bass can be used with the WL20 - it depends on which way round -9V and ground are wired on the ring and sleeve in the bass). If that's the only issue, it can easily be overcome by using a short mono jack plug to mono jack socket lead, plugging the plug into the bass and plugging the WL20 into the socket.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, warwickhunt said:

; oddly the Line 6 G50 has the option to tune it as if you are getting signal loss from using differing length leads, which I found very odd.  

why odd? All this "I like the sound of passive" that is trying to emulate that

6 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

why odd? All this "I like the sound of passive" that is trying to emulate that

I suppose I regard it a bit like IRs in as much as it is just an EQ tweak from what you have; if you want to sound passive/long cable/8x10/Aguilar... just tweak your EQ a bit (assuming you are starting from a good starting point ;) ).

• 1 month later...
On 26/04/2023 at 16:14, Al Krow said:

I've had:

(Crowded) 2.4 GHz space 

• Smooth-hound - great piece of kit and Chris, the UK manufacturer, provided fantastic customer service e.g. replacing the plastic battery cover which has a tendency to easily break, without charge.
  • Shure GLXD16 - didn't really find much, if any, benefit over the Smooth-hound and it's significantly bulkier / more expensive, so moved it on;
  • Boss WL-20, super compact; frees up space on the pedal board and has generally been really good, but I've been experiencing drop outs (like the OP) recently since we've started using wireless IEMs in the same 2.4 GHz space;

5.8 GHz

• Lekato WS-50 (around £60) 
  • Subsequently added the Nux C-5RC

Had a chance to try out the Lekato WS-50 back at the most recent venue where I was getting out drop outs with the Boss WL-20, at a gig last night. Worked very well over 2 x 1 hr sets, which is promising start. 

I've not yet tried out the Nux C-5RC yet, but maybe good to have these as a back-up option. 

Either way, I'm relieved to so far have managed to dodge the bullet of having to fork out £539 on a Shure GLXD16+ !

• Like 1

I ordered the WL-50 and found it had a tiny bit of distortion in the signal so I sent it back. Shame as a cheap unit it looked promising 

It was with a passive PBass 

I gave the WL-80 2.4 ghz model and that seems ok 

I guess the QA is hit and miss with the low end units 

5 hours ago, BassAdder60 said:

I ordered the WL-50 and found it had a tiny bit of distortion in the signal so I sent it back. Shame as a cheap unit it looked promising 

It was with a passive PBass 

I gave the WL-80 2.4 ghz model and that seems ok 

I guess the QA is hit and miss with the low end units 

Are those the Boss units? Not particularly budget, though.

15 hours ago, BassAdder60 said:

Sorry I meant the WS-50 Lekato was the unit I returned as it distorted slightly the input signal 

Ah ok thanks. Following your comment, I have A/B'd the three wireless units I currently have, the Boss WL-20 (2.4 GHz),  Lekato WS-50 (5.8 GHz) and Nux C-5RC (5.8 GHz), with my three gigging basses (Elrick, Yamaha BB 2005 and Spector Euro 5LX). The basses are all active.

I agree with you that, in isolation, and now I'm listening out for it there is a detectable distortion with the Lekato WS-50 (5.8 GHz) on two of my gigging basses (Elrick, Yamaha BB2005) which I didn't spot in the band mix at Sat night's gig, when I was playing the Yamaha. It's actually very noticeable distortion on the Elrick in active mode when digging in, but less so in passive mode, and even less with the Yamaha.

The Boss WL-20 (2.4 GHz) and the Nux C-5RC (5.8 GHz) are, on the other hand, clean and have an appealingly slightly brighter tone than with a guitar lead.

The Lekato however seemed fine with my Spector with EMG pups and gives less interaction interference with the onboard preamp on that bass than the Boss (slight) and Nux (noticeable) - but I'm hoping that sorting out the shielding on the Spector will address that. If it does then I'll likely be sending the Lekato back, otherwise it will be a case of using the Lekato with the Spector and the Nux with the Elrick and Yamaha.

For overall tone/sound I'd rate the Boss WL-20 (£145) as being the best of the three, followed by the Nux (£135)** and in third place the Lekato WS-50 (£60). However the Lekato didn't suffer from the drop outs I experienced with the Boss at the same venue I've now used them both at (I've not yet tried the Nux out with a live band), and suggests that the 5.8 GHz is the better option than 2.4 GHz for avoiding drop outs. And almost certainly why Shure have added 5.8 GHz to the GLXD16+.

Edited by Al Krow
**there's a mint one going for £87 inc P&P on eBay right now
  • Like 1

On 17/05/2023 at 21:39, oldslapper said:

The only concern I have about the WL20 is that reviews state that they’re suited for passive pickups, not active and I swap between active and passive. Do you guys use both/either? 
Thanks.

John 

Have a look at the WL-20L, these are a low impedance version and should be suitable for active bass.

I have this set, and it works great. I don't have an active bass, but was looking at buying one when I bought the WL-20L so wanted to make sure it would be compatible for future options.

I have been getting a bit of interference now we are using a wireless desk and some members are using wireless IEM's, but I found that if I rescanned after everyone else had set up then it was fine and I just had a 2 & 1/2 hour pub gig with no issues.

On 30/06/2023 at 09:46, markbunney said:

Have a look at the WL-20L, these are a low impedance version and should be suitable for active bass.

I have this set, and it works great. I don't have an active bass, but was looking at buying one when I bought the WL-20L so wanted to make sure it would be compatible for future options.

I have been getting a bit of interference now we are using a wireless desk and some members are using wireless IEM's, but I found that if I rescanned after everyone else had set up then it was fine and I just had a 2 & 1/2 hour pub gig with no issues.

Nice tip about putting the Boss WL-20s back in after everyone has set up their IEMs etc. I'll give that a go to see if that prevents drop outs and also doesn't cause issues with our 2.4 GHhz IEMs.

@oldslapper I've got the WL-20s and had no issues with active basses.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Al Krow said:

Nice tip about putting the Boss WL-20s back in after everyone has set up their IEMs etc. I'll give that a go to see if that prevents drop outs and also doesn't cause issues with our 2.4 GHhz IEMs.

@oldslapper I've got the WL-20s and had no issues with active basses.

Belt and braces. I always re-pair mine AFTER everyone else has set up. It takes 10 seconds. No issues so far.

Rob

• Like 1

2 hours ago, warwickhunt said:

Does pairing them fresh each time mean that they select alternative frequencies?

I believe so. And not close to currently occupied frequencies. The manual does say to do this, once everyone else is up and running. 

Edited by ossyrocks
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, oldslapper said:

Cheers @Al Krow I sourced a SmoothHound system in the end. The guitarist has the same system and it’s working well so far. 

I had a SmoothHound for a few years, before swapping to the more compact Boss WL-20, and was pretty happy with it. But all in the days before we started going wireless IEMs and crowding the 2.4 Ghz space - it was a simpler, more carefree time 😊

• 2 weeks later...
On 28/04/2023 at 11:57, BassAdder60 said:

I use my cheap Lekato  WL-80 for soundcheck only then switch to a cable for the gig 

I had the Boss WL20 and Line 6 G30 but suffered drop outs at certain venues. Cable for me is the preferred solution 

Ok update … having found the Lekato adding a tiny bit of distortion I’ve stopped using them. 
Enter Boss WL-50 and although it’s half of the WL-20 I really like it so far.

What I’ve learnt is switch your mob to Airplane mode if near your amp and for practical use stay within 10-15m with clear line of site it works just fine without any signal degradation 

The bonus of cable input on the receiver was the feature that decided it for me, cable sat near rig will suffice as backup. 

I was finding my guitar leads were twisting, constantly under my feet and on occasion stood on nearly yanking at the Jack so wireless is worth it I feel. 
I can’t justify £500+ on Shure so Boss will do for me 

Edited by BassAdder60

On 01/07/2023 at 20:31, ossyrocks said:

Belt and braces. I always re-pair mine AFTER everyone else has set up. It takes 10 seconds. No issues so far.

Rob

Still struggling with my WL-20 in terms of range at quite a few gigs. Seems to need line of sight (which ties in with @BassAdder60's comment above) and even then the range is often not great - just a few metres tops before it's cutting out.

I also agree with the Lekato WS-50 adding a bit of distortion which actually can be noticeable depending on the bass and on the board pre its interacting with.

So I guess my hope is currently being pinned on the Nux C5RC 5.8GHz which I need to try out at some forthcoming gigs.

I've been tempted by the new Shure GLDX16+ but it's £spendy which might be ok if it did everything else brilliantly. I'd however recommend watching the following review before parting with £500+ on that system: 

Edited by Al Krow

8 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Still struggling with my WL-20 in terms of range at quite a few gigs. Seems to need line of sight (which ties in with @BassAdder60's comment above) and even then the range is often not great - just a few metres tops before it's cutting out.

I also agree with the Lekato adding a bit of distortion which actually can be noticeable depending on the bass and on the board pre its interacting with.

So I guess my hope is currently being pinned on the Nux C5RC 5.8GHz which I need to try out at some forthcoming gigs.

I've been tempted by the new Shure GLDX16+ but its £spendy which might be ok if it did everything else brilliantly. I'd, however recommend watching the following review before parting with £500+ on that system: 

Hmmm I’m glad I got the Boss WL-50 based on that !! And less than £200

The latency on the boss is very low and range and format is good enough for myself. 

Bought the Legato WS50 (£47 Amazon) which operates at 5.8 and I've not had a bit of bother.  I was genuinely concerned it was going to be garbage at that price (I'd have sent it back via Amazon returns policy) but I hear no difference between it, a cable or my Line 6 unit.

• Like 2