Why become a member? ×

Which wireless?

M@23

On 03/08/2023 at 15:04, Al Krow said:

Really good run through of wireless systems generally:

In terms of 5.8GHz systems - he gives a big thumbs up to the Nux (14.20) and also recommends the Lekato (14.44) as a more budget option.

My own experience is that the Nux works better with my active basses (apparently it's advertised as being designed for active bass compatibility) and doesn't have the distortion that the Lekato had when digging in.

With the Nux, I'm finding that if you max the treble EQ and with certain directions / positions of Nux transmitter you can get a high-pitched whine, but having the treble at normal settings and lining the transmitter bug either towards or away from the very bottom of the bass, depending on which bass and where the preamp is located, pretty much eliminates that whine.

PS - liked his point that we're never going to eliminate the risk of drop-outs with wireless, even Metallica with some of the highest end gear on the planet and large sound crews suffer from occasional wireless drop-outs!

NONE of them would work for me... 

Where the transmitter is directly attached to the jack, it would physically drop out after the first bit of jumping around (the whole reason for having a wireless). 

1 minute ago, urbanx said:

NONE of them would work for me... 

Where the transmitter is directly attached to the jack, it would physically drop out after the first bit of jumping around (the whole reason for having a wireless). 

Do you have an old / loose barrel jack? 

• Like 1

Just attach the very light weight transmitter jack onto your strap and get a short lead to go into your bass barrel jack.

Something those of us who used / still use Smoothhound wireless were very accustomed to doing 😊

Edited by Al Krow
  • Like 2

Just now, Al Krow said:

Just strap the very light weight transmitter jack onto your strap and get a short lead to go into your bass barrel jack.

I've got a Line 6 G30, which has a separate transmitter, which I keep on my strap (1st pic) But I've had the dreaded battery door problem. So now it's a £175 paperweight. I've tried zip ties and elastic bands, but it just doesn't stay shut anymore. Hence I'm wired in the second pic! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BassAdder60 said:

My Shure GLXD16+ is in a neoprene pouch which goes in my back pocket 

Nice!

I'm just aggrieved to spend £500+ on a system when I have £180 of wireless already, even if it's useless :(  That's getting on for 'new bass' territory.  

4 hours ago, Woodinblack said:

That wouldn't dislodge the lightweight 5g ones i have, unless your jack socket had a problem. 

You didn't see the landing! 

Seriously tho, really?

Our guitarist who is pretty static has lost his plug in one a couple of times while playing live, it's put me off. I really chuck myself about while playing, but always look after my gear. 

33 minutes ago, urbanx said:

Nice!

I'm just aggrieved to spend £500+ on a system when I have £180 of wireless already, even if it's useless :(  That's getting on for 'new bass' territory.  

You didn't see the landing! 

Seriously tho, really?

Our guitarist who is pretty static has lost his plug in one a couple of times while playing live, it's put me off. I really chuck myself about while playing, but always look after my gear. 

Haha - with you on the £500+ system - definitely been a discussion point on this thread! There's very decent 'mid range' stuff, but whether they are 100% as good? Well I'd love to put my (£140 new, I bought for less used) Nux 5.8Ghz up against the Shure GLD16+series and see if there's any difference, I've certainly not been disappointed with the Nux so far.

I think the barrel jack point maybe quite relevant to what you're saying though: one of my older gigging basses (which also cost less than £500 second hand, as it happens!) wasn't holding a lead in that well let alone a wireless bug, so I've got a new barrel jack fitted to sort.

11 hours ago, Al Krow said:

Haha - with you on the £500+ system - definitely been a discussion point on this thread! There's very decent 'mid range' stuff, but whether they are 100% as good? Well I'd love to put my (£140 new, I bought for less used) Nux 5.8Ghz up against the Shure GLD16+series and see if there's any difference, I've certainly not been disappointed with the Nux so far....

I've said a couple of times that I love the Shure and I've only ever had one dropout with mine. But also I've had (in order) the Line 6 G30, Smoothound and Line 6 G55 and they've all been more or less fine. I only went to the Shure as at the time it allowed me to have one system for both my rack helix and my pedalboard helix stomp.

• Like 1

On 27/11/2023 at 17:04, urbanx said:

I've got a Line 6 G30, which has a separate transmitter, which I keep on my strap (1st pic) But I've had the dreaded battery door problem. So now it's a £175 paperweight. I've tried zip ties and elastic bands, but it just doesn't stay shut anymore. Hence I'm wired in the second pic! 

Any help?

• Like 1

14 hours ago, urbanx said:

Awesome, cheers matey!

I'll still need some back up added to that fix (elastic band or zip tie, lol) 

It's just reminded me that I have a G50 transmitter that the door came off - I got a replacement door but I couldn't manage to get it exactly correct when I put it on. However, I'm taking a few Line 6 things to a former Line 6 tech who still repairs them and I'll see about burdening him with that too 😁

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
16 hours ago, Rick05 said:

Just looking at buying my first wireless system and the Shure Glxd16 seems to be the best option and worth the price.

Does anyone has had any experience with the new NUX B8 system. It seems to have some good features at a lower price than the shure, like the tuner receiver.

https://www.nuxaudio.com/b8.html

I'm always scared with 2.4ghz set ups for interference, but I've had 2 sets of the NUX bugs as well as a preamp from them and can't recommend enough. Quality gear at a good price

• Thanks 1