Why become a member? ×

Seating arrangements...

bluesparky

When i practice at home i'm usually seated, and after years of searching for the perfect throne i came across this:
[url="http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/6170996/Trail/searchtext%3EMANAGER%27S+CHAIR.htm"]chair[/url]
It had all the things i was after:
Leather (hmm.. feels nice!)
Wheelie ('cos it's fun)
Spins round (again, 'cos it's fun)
Reclines (Hmm.. comfy)
Fitted my desk wonderfully (handy!)
and above all, most importantly, it has no arms so when i practice, the neck or body isn't continuously bashing against them.

UNFORTUNATELY, the base is made of plastic, which has now snapped in several places where the castors join the legs. Once it cracked, then broke in one place it pretty much destroyed itself in a matter of hours due to the structural integrity being shot to bits.

This has now essentially just left me with just a comfy seat - which is pretty pointless.

My desk is an Ikea one, nothing fancy, average height from the ground, and it fitted it perfectly.

So, now, i've got to get another chair (there is no way to fix this one and it is out of warantee - by only a fricking month!).

I'm sure most of you haven't put this much thought into what you sit on, but i did actually spend ages looking for this and thought i'd found the perfect chair when i got this.
It's just a big pity the base is made out of crap plastic.

Any suggestions / thoughts?

In my mind this post is bass related as i bought it to be comfy for when i was playing - more so than when i was actually doing proper work at my desk - i know what's more important to me!
Cheers.

[quote name='bluesparky' post='475629' date='Apr 30 2009, 12:06 AM']In my mind this post is bass related as i bought it to be comfy for when i was playing[/quote]

According to someone on another post - Anthony Jackson had a fat arse, he thought that was Bass related.
So yer, you should be fine... :)

Garry

Why don't you fashion a new base for it? Could be done from wood or steel (or aluminium), it might not look pretty, but it will be stronger.

I know I've done it on one of my now ex chairs, snapped one of the legs after I lent back too far (that hurt, not so much my head hitting the floor, but the back of the chair assaulting my arse), and the chair now sports a plastic shell made of the original leg with a chunky aluminum strut inside it.
Well, it did before the welds holding the seat together gave up the ghost, and aquiring welding gear wasn't cost effective.

I used to sit on one of these but it eventually burst. Good for your posture and your lower back. I haven't replaced it yet because the last one was a fiver and I am too tight to pay any more than that.

[url="http://www.argos.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Search?storeId=10001&catalogId=1500001501&langId=-1&searchTerms=75CM+GYM+BALL&Submit=GO+>"]http://www.argos.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/s...;Submit=GO+>[/url]

Edited by paul h

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='475636' date='Apr 30 2009, 12:17 AM']I use a little wheeled chair [url="http://www.wilkinsonplus.com/content/ebiz/wilkinsonplus/invt/0263979/0263979_l.jpg"]like this[/url] that I pulled out of a skip when I lived above an office supply shop.[/quote]

I use a cheapo version of this as my pc chair :)

[quote name='leschirons' post='476588' date='May 1 2009, 12:40 AM']I tend to practice standing up as I found I could play great when sitting down and then cocked it up on stage so I think it made me over confident.[/quote]
I find that too, it's a lot easier to play sitting down and the different angle of my arm when i'm standing often means i can't quite play as smoothly as when i'm sitting down.
The practicing standing up is definitely a sensible thing that i should do.
Thanks for the input, I'm still not sure what road to go down.
I'm still too upset about my beloved chair being broken - I feel like Marty Crane from Frasier!!

Mine's a bar stool - nicked it from a pub in York. I've an office type chair too but I don't like it spinning around.

tip - on no account use a Marshall 4x12. I sat on one once , missed , hit my arse bone on the knuckle corner and was laid up for a week with a broken coccyx.

[quote name='Zoe_BillySheehan' post='477574' date='May 2 2009, 10:15 AM']what about a [url="http://img3.musiciansfriend.com/dbase/pics/products/1/7/6/252176.jpg"]Bar Stool[/url]?

Z
x[/quote]

That looks quite cool actually!
I'd have to be pretty strict about my posture though, i can see myself easily have a bent back and stooping a bit much!