Why become a member? ×

One five string to rule them all

horrorshowbass

I haven't played a "real " Lakland but I find that the Skyline models punch well above their price point. 

I also have a Squier Dimension (active single H), the Fender version comes with HH too. Not fancied in the USA which means that there are bargains to be had. 

Try one before excluding them from your list. 

I wouldn't exclude Yamahas either. 

Edited by TheGreek

33 minutes ago, TheGreek said:

I haven't played a "real " Lakland but I find that the Skyline models punch well above their price point. 

I also have a Squier Dimension (active single H), the Fender version comes with HH too. Not fancied in the USA which means that there are bargains to be had. 

Try one before excluding them from your list. 

I wouldn't exclude Yamahas either. 

Excellent call with the Dimension. Very underrated IMO.

G&L L-1000 5 string wideboy. To hell with "versatility" - simply give me a bass that just sounds great and doesn't need any added salt and pepper. 

While you're fiddling with pickup selection, blending and your 4 band EQ, I'm already at the first chorus ;)

• Like 3

I've had all but the thumb, and tried to recreate a 5 string Warwick vibe with my ACG. 

All were good, but the best 5er I've owned is my current Vigier Excess. Monstrously good in every way. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, bubinga5 said:

its millimeters. good lord anyone would think you were climbing Mount Everest. with respect.

Never the less, it does make a difference!

I've had two of them, love the sound, but moved them both on pretty quickly - plenty of other good basses out there if there if you don't get on with a particular model.. 

1 hour ago, peteb said:

Never the less, it does make a difference!

I've had two of them, love the sound, but moved them both on pretty quickly - plenty of other good basses out there if there if you don't get on with a particular model.. 

Me personally I couldn't give a monkeys. 17mm to 19/20mm. just adapt to it. Doesn't take long. Cant do it. bollocks your just lazy.

Too many bass players saying they cant do this they cant do that about the smallest differences on string spacing. Oh I need a high mass bridge blah blah. Grow a pair and just make music. I hate to say it but someone like Jaco Pastorius or James Jamerson would laugh at this

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, bubinga5 said:

Me personally I couldn't give a monkeys. 17mm to 19/20mm. just adapt to it. Doesn't take long. Cant do it. bollocks your just lazy.

Too many bass players saying they cant do this they cant do that about the smallest differences on string spacing. Oh I need a high mass bridge blah blah. Grow a pair and just make music. I hate to say it but someone like Jaco Pastorius or James Jamerson would laugh at this

And yet those two bassists played the exact same respective bass with the exact same setup through most of their career (and they are far from the only examples of that among acclaimed professional bass players either).

I do realize that music is not sports, but there is a reason why elite sports people are picky about their equipment.

And there's a reason why there is not just one bass model on the market with one set of definite ultimate specs, and trust me it is not because most people think it is a great idea to waste time and energy on learning to know each of them to the point where they might very well be feeling decently, but never perfectly, and definitely not equally, familiar and at home with all of them when they actually got a choice. 

People have personal preference, different playing styles, and playing different styles of music, and on a very basic practical level different people are simply born with different physics, and I bet that even you do actually feel more comfortable, at home, and play better on some basses over others. 

I know for certain that I do at least.

Why settle for less than optimal and ideal when you actually got the choice?

Edited by Baloney Balderdash

7 minutes ago, bubinga5 said:

Someone's in a fiesty mood tonight!

U ok hun, etc...

Edited by neepheid
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

51 minutes ago, bubinga5 said:

Not really sure WTF you're on about here. I regularly switch between a P bass & a jazz depending on what gig I'm playing and once borrowed a SR5 off a mate to record an album, because I didn't have a 5 string at the time.  It sounded fine and he loves that bass, but for me the string spacing and the fact that the G string feels (to me) like its clinging to the edge of the fretboard. It works for him but not for me, so I went and got a different 5 string - simples! 

I'm guessing that I make more music, more regularly and at a higher level than you ever have, so watch the attitude... 

Edited by peteb

1 minute ago, bagsieblue said:

One five string to rule them all??.....

Stingray 5 String would be my choice.

I wouldn't argue with that and believe that I actually bought one off you! A great bass, but just not for me.... 

Edited by peteb

On 22/04/2023 at 04:18, horrorshowbass said:

Or just cus they're ugly?

This. Control plates are even worse.

I'm a big Ibanez fan, so an SR or a BTB. And yes, I own 5s or 6s in both ranges, so this is definitely a 'buy what I have post'. But I want an EHB or two, so add them to the list. Both SR and BTB have MS options if that tickles your nads.

Other than the stingray they're all slightly quirky designs, is that what you're after? 

I think Warwick make great 5 strings with incredible tone but the thumb is an extreme design - if it's one to rule them all I'd probably look more towards a streamer for playability & looks. 

Other than that I always look at Sandberg's with a view to being my next bass but haven't actually bought one yet. 

On 21/04/2023 at 23:24, peteb said:

I've had a couple of SR5s - they sound great but I just can't get on with the string spacing. 

From my own experience with my Spector ReBop 5, this can be a valid point.

I love this bass in all respects other than the narrow string spacing.  And I suspect that because I'm left handed but play right handed this tends to magnify the natural weakness in my right hand to effectively adapt and adjust as well as it might.  Especially since I only get time to practice at weekends.

The only other 5-string basses that offer 19mm string spacing yet possibly tick enough other boxes for me are the Ibanez BTB or MTD Kingston, and I may have to check them out at some point.

11 hours ago, bubinga5 said:

Rude and I’m sure you’ll realise it once you’ve sobered up.

I’m in multiple bands for which I use different basses. The one consistency I require is string spacing.

• Like 2

On 21/04/2023 at 18:17, horrorshowbass said:

OK so bitta craic.

You have £1500ish quid to spend on a new 5er.

Options:

Thumb

Bongo

Stingray

Dingwall

Which one and why?

I think they’re all great choices. Personally, I don’t like Warwick basses or their owner, so the Thumb is out AFAIC.

I’m assuming ‘new’ means new to you rather that brand new ‘cos none of them are within the budget stated otherwise.

Of the remaining three, I’d probably go Dingwall, but it would be a very close decision between that and a Stingray, with the Bongo as a close 3rd.

That said, I’m very happy with my Lull BBM5 and Status S2 five stringers. Maybe they’re worth considering, although £1500 rules Status out too.