Why become a member? ×

Nickel roundwounds with low finger squeak - suggestions

franzbassist

After many years of using flats I'm thinking of going back to rounds on my fretless, but I don't want to lose that wonderful glide you get with flats so I am wondering what is out there that has a) minimal finger squeak b) a smooth, slinky feel.  Oh I've tried groundwounds and don't like them - too grippy.

As my bass is strung through body they will need to be at least 38" from ball end to taper, oh and I need a 5 string set.

My first thought is Ernie Ball Slinky?  I fancied DR Sunbeams and GHS Pressurewounds too, but they aren't long enough.

Suggestions most welcome!

Edited by franzbassist

Thanks, all, for the replies.  BC is such a fab font of knowledge.

I think my challenge will be finding strings that are consistently the right length.  I love LaBellas and have used white nylon flats on this bass for years, but their QC is awful as I've had lots of strings shorter than the 38" they specify as extra long.  Fender don't appear to do extra long 7150s, but if DR's QC is reliable then their standard long scale could work at 38", same for Elixir's extra long scale (also 38").

You could get Newtone to make them for you.

They have a choice of core and wrap wire. IIRC it's the 'platinum' series that is advertised as a lower noise / smaller wrap wire option.

They will make any length you want. Just follow the measuring instructions carefully and about 2 weeks later a set will arrive.

Very nice strings!

10 minutes ago, fretmeister said:

They have a choice of core and wrap wire. IIRC it's the 'platinum' series that is advertised as a lower noise / smaller wrap wire option.

They will make any length you want. Just follow the measuring instructions carefully and about 2 weeks later a set will arrive.

Very nice strings!

Newtone would be my suggestion too, the platinum should fit the bill perfectly, the custom option works out as the same as the standard options in terms of cost.

I'll be ordering a short scale 5 string stainless set this weekend. 

Matt

As above, I find DR Pure Blues to be very silky and comfortable.  Another option is Thomastik Infeld Nickel Rounds - possible the silkiest rounds I've played.  Very expensive and very quiet in terms of finger squeak.  I'm not sure about lengths but TI are pretty good at sharing specs

1 hour ago, fretmeister said:

Very nice strings!

Seconded, awesome strings!

21 minutes ago, franzbassist said:

Not sure that's correct.  Standard set is £38 whereas custom set comes in at £46, unless I am doing something wrong!

you are correct, i'm not sure how i was confused there, i'm sure i have configured a custom set before and the cost was pretty much the same as a standard set. (within a couple of quid at least)

they offer extra long as an option on the standard sets, might be worth asking what length that is?

matt

1 minute ago, Matt P said:

they offer extra long as an option on the standard sets, might be worth asking what length that is?

Thanks Matt.  I already know the answer as I asked them a while back - it's 38" so as long as their tolerances are good, and I suspect they are, I should be okay.

• Like 1

I would say the Thomastik Jazz rounds are the perfect roundwound strings for fretless- very supple and smooth, but plenty of growl and bite. However, just checked, and they're 36" total length ( and £94 for a 5 string set!!!).

So reading the above is a complete waste of your time...

... sorry about that.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Sambrook said:

I would say the Thomastik Jazz rounds are the perfect roundwound strings for fretless- very supple and smooth, but plenty of growl and bite. However, just checked, and they're 36" total length ( and £94 for a 5 string set!!!).

So reading the above is a complete waste of your time...

... sorry about that.

No worries, I appreciate the input :)

3 hours ago, Pow_22 said:

Fender 7150 pure nickels are my go to rounds when i need rounds. As a flats player these are the only rounds i can tolerate :)

These are better for finger noise, however I find they go dead quicker than any other string I tried. Which could be a good thing but the tone wasn't for me. But certainly they have reduced string noise. 

Edited by Twincam
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Old Horse Murphy said:

I use Ernie Ball Slinkys, Gareth. I find them really quiet, especially after a couple of hours of play. 

Thanks Nick.  Hope you are keeping well.

48 minutes ago, Moving Pictures said:

DR Pure Blues are very consistent in quality, tone and feel. I use them on a couple basses and they are strung through the body. No issues there. They last quite a long time. 

Thanks MP.

• Like 2