Why become a member? ×

Annoying pop-up adverts

snorkie635

2 minutes ago, nilorius said:

This topic is very deangerous !!! I will not risk to respond.

Too late!

in all honesty we hoped to remove all ads and rely on people becoming supporting members instead. That was the plan but I don't think any moves have been made to help ease that transition yet.

• Like 2

I don't see anything on BC I would describe as pop ups.

I see banner ads at the top of the page, which I find completely unobtrusive, but nothing that intereferes with using the site.

I would define pop ups as those ads or vids you get which open in the middle of a page, usually obscuring whatever it is that you're trying to look at. I've never seen them on BC.

Tbh I have no problem with the people that own and run the site trying to make money off a service I use everyday.

Which reminds me.......(Finally gets round to renewing supporting memebership)

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

I only see adverts at the top of the page, integrated into it as opposed to being a pop up. I have zero problem whatsoever with that.

Although I'm a supporting member, this wonderful site, which has been a daily part of my life for 13-14 years has to be paid for somehow! 

Edited by 40hz
  • Like 1

Running a bit of software at home called "Pi Hole" (it was originally intended to run on a cheap Raspberry Pi computer, but happily runs on any Linux based computer). It acts as a DNS service that blocks known advert sources. I also run the Ublock Origin extension in the Firefox web browser, and see virtually no adverts. If you use Google's Chrome browser, any of Microsoft's browsers (Internet Explorer, Edge, etc) or Safari then just stop and install Firefox with Ublock Origin. I'm always amused by how terrible other people's web browsing experiences are when I get to see what it's like without at least an ad blocker extension.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

11 hours ago, chriswareham said:

Running a bit of software at home called "Pi Hole" (it was originally intended to run on a cheap Raspberry Pi computer, but happily runs on any Linux based computer). It acts as a DNS service that blocks known advert sources. I also run the Ublock Origin extension in the Firefox web browser, and see virtually no adverts. If you use Google's Chrome browser, any of Microsoft's browsers (Internet Explorer, Edge, etc) or Safari then just stop and install Firefox with Ublock Origin. I'm always amused by how terrible other people's web browsing experiences are when I get to see what it's like without at least an ad blocker extension.

Ublock Origin is available for Chrome too, and works just as well, so you don't need to change to Firefox to do this.

Firefox fanboi axe grinding, detected... ;)

• Haha 1

On 20/04/2023 at 18:41, 40hz said:

I only see adverts at the top of the page, integrated into it as opposed to being a pop up. I have zero problem whatsoever with that.

Although I'm a supporting member, this wonderful site, which has been a daily part of my life for 13-14 years has to be paid for somehow! 

This. If seeing a few ad's means I can use and benefit from this site for free, I'm perfectly OK with that.

You can't expect to get something for nothing.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, neepheid said:

Ublock Origin is available for Chrome too, and works just as well, so you don't need to change to Firefox to do this.

Firefox fanboi axe grinding, detected... ;)

Google are removing the ability for Ublock Origin and similar extensions to function in a future version of Chrome. They've postponed the change a couple of times but the change is inevitable - after all, Google make the overwhelming majority of their revenue from adverts, so it's in their best interests to prevent people blocking them.

• Sad 1

Rather weirdly,  my ad-blocker stopped me posting any replies in any threads today.  ( Firefox + Ad Blocker Ultimate )

Never done that before , no changes made by me.  It just decided this all on it's own. I've been using ABU for years, but it never has hindered me on BC. Till today.

I hit reply to a thread and the message box won't appear , but the ' add files ' box does.  I checked ABU first and that was the problem. Soon as i disabled on here, the reply message box appreared as normal.

Confused,

Acacia Ave.,

Tonbridge Wells.

Edited by fleabag
  • Haha 1

Turns out that ABU has gone rogue and no longer did it's job, causing the above in my last post and more misdemeanours on other sites.

Kicked out ABU, and  drafted in uBlock Origin for Firefox and all is right with the world.