Why become a member? ×

Long horn jazzes.....

Woodwind

Well normally I'm spitting nails about the sponsored posts that show up on my Instagram feed, but this evening I get a post from BassBros.

A Fender Long Horn Jazz -

https://bassbros.co.uk/product/1989-fender-longhorn-jazz-bass/

Coming from my ignorant point of view I have never heard of this model before.

I'm not a Fender fan, at all, but there was something about this body shape that really appealed.

Almost a subtle cartoonish exaggeration of a jazz shape.

Any long horn players here?

Edited by Woodwind
  • Like 1

IIRC the one I used to own also had a different tone circuit called TBX which I think allowed some highs to leech through when the tone was rolled off giving a scooped sound. They also had a couple more frets and for some reason wider string spacing at the bridge which was wider than the usual Fender BBOT.  I don’t think the neck was wider and this lead to they E and G strings being VERY close to the neck edges (I think this is shown in the pictures in the link in the 1st post)….  The body shape felt great however and the bass was comfy to wear.  I replaced mine with a 75 type jazz which IMO was a significantly better instrument.

I had one for 15 or so years, sold it last month

22 fret

scratch plate is different shape

Alder body, heavy, but least neck dive of any Fender I’ve played 

Most gad the TBC circuit 

Fender have certainly made considerably worse instruments 

• Like 1

Apparently my Jazz is one, although such is my ignorance of these things I wasn’t aware until someone here commented on a picture I put up on my cab rebuild thread. I guess one day I should get round to trying a short horn Jazz for comparison…

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 11/04/2023 at 08:52, Cosmo Valdemar said:

I've got a soft spot for the Longhorn. It's endearingly goofy. And it reminds me of being a teenage Manics fan as Nicky Wire played one in the late 90s.

fullsizeoutput_2a27-scaled.jpeg.jpg

Forgive my lack of knowledge on these. But are those factory pickups? 

I find the placement interesting.

what are the controls for the 3 pu's? Can you have bridge and neck only? What effect does the neck pu have on the tone.

2 hours ago, Twincam said:

Forgive my lack of knowledge on these. But are those factory pickups? 

I find the placement interesting.

what are the controls for the 3 pu's? Can you have bridge and neck only? What effect does the neck pu have on the tone.

This particular bass was modded with a neck pickup - if you look closely the routing is a bit more squared off than the others.

I seem to remember he added the neck pickup to get a bit closer to his Rickenbacker sound.

Not sure how it's wired. Wired! 🤣

• Like 1