Why become a member? ×

new Ampeg Di preamp

danbowskill

Interesting.

Frankly about time that Ampeg a really high quality 'SVT emulator' pedal considering the Tech 21 has been doing it for decades and Origin Effects have really done well with it as well. 

This might have to go on the list. 

• Like 2

Around £350 seems to be the general price. Expensive for sure...if it's well made I guess it's in a similar ball park to other premium preamp pedals (Darkglass etc).

I wonder if the cab SIM can be used out of the Quarter inch jack as well as DI? ... I know it seems pointless into a head/cab rig but I've always felt it adds something 🤷..like in the tech 21 pedals.

Edited by danbowskill

19 hours ago, danbowskill said:

Cheers Dan - good spot.

A LOT of useful extra features on this unit not available on my Tech 21 VTDI, which is a great piece of kit, and which makes me think that this could be worth checking out, and would seem to easily justify the £100 premium over the VTDI:

- two stomp switches which allows you to set the clean tone you want as an always-on and kick in the drive when needed, rather than having to choose between one or the other with the VTDI (or faff around with resetting the dials - not really something you want to be doing on a live set);

- the dirt has both saturation level and separate volume level;

- three "classic" factory cabs sims for 115, 410 and 810 cabs or up to three cabs of your own by using the (free) Ampeg IR Loader app (via USB port), plus separate volume control;

- semi-parametric mids;

- ultra-Hi and 3-way ultra-Lo switches (including a cut to the Lo - which I'm guessing is equivalent to an hpf);

- variable compressor up to 10:1 ratio - albeit one knob functionality and no metering;

- aux-in (with separate vol control) / headphone section - making it perfect silent home practice home tool.

Given the prices of the recently launched Bergantino pre-amp and the Origin kit, and all the extra features this is offering over a VTDI, it's pricing doesn't seem particularly excessive? If it sounds good, Ampeg could be onto a winner here. 

Edited by Al Krow
  • Like 5

I'm tempted to sell my darkglass head and replace it with this and a power amp...

It should have an effects loop though! I use reverb and delay in my sound, and they need to sit behind drive. Why do so few people put an effects loop on preamp/DI/cab sim pedals like this?

Is there an easy work around for this that I'm not aware of?

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Vin Venal said:

I'm tempted to sell my darkglass head and replace it with this and a power amp...

It should have an effects loop though! I use reverb and delay in my sound, and they need to sit behind drive. Why do so few people put an effects loop on preamp/DI/cab sim pedals like this?

Is there an easy work around for this that I'm not aware of?

Just been checking the video clip that Dan posted in the OP and, apart from loving that bass riff at the start (is that from a song or original?), I think there is indeed effects loop through (03.21 of the clip) - so no work around required!

And, damn! That's a good meaty drive tone at 03.40...

As it happens, I have just recently sold my DG head 😅

Edited by Al Krow

3 hours ago, krispn said:

No fx loop on this 

Yeah it's a real bummer. Obviously I could run the preamp out into effects before whatever power amp I'm using, but then there's no point in this being a DI cuz I'd have to take the DI from somewhere further down the chain.

I keep watching all the demo videos for this, and can't get past thinking it sounds better imo than the darkglass vintage microtubes, which is my main sound at present.

Realised I'd never tried running my delay and reverb up front, so gave it a go, and with the low drive I usually run as my main sound it kind of sounds cool.

I might be back to thinking I can forgive it the lack of an FX loop...