Why become a member? ×

Passive hpf for bass

Old Ozzie Guy

Ok, thanks for everyone's insight., On my behalf, I could have been more detailed in my explanation of the whole thing .One point I found interesting,, I asked similar question on here and a site in US, I got quite different responses. Again, thanks for everyone's variety of input.. 

• Like 1

Just now, Old Ozzie Guy said:

Ok, thanks for everyone's insight., On my behalf, I could have been more detailed in my explanation of the whole thing .One point I found interesting,, I asked similar question on here and a site in US, I got quite different responses. Again, thanks for everyone's variety of input.. 

Sorry, we weren't shown in out best light there!

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Baloney Balderdash said:

Just ask your mom.

At the risk of further derailment, I do think this is completely uncalled for. You've clearly demonstrated you're an insufferable derrière, and when called on it you resort to that, which is puerile and pathetic.

I missed whatever went on before the thread was tidied too, but I'm surprised that was left. 

A gracious 'whoops, I'm sorry' and bowing out would probably have been appropriate at that point. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

@Old Ozzie GuyI know you are talking about passive HPF's but this has just appeared up for sale a few minutes ago. I have one and it's a fantastic piece of gear. No idea of the specs but it doesn't really matter to me as it works in practice to tighten up the subby lows without sounding like an artificial cut off. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Old Ozzie Guy said:

Hi all, I'm asking if any one knows of any "high pass filter " (variable, passive) IV been trying to find HP(brand name) passive hpf, but can't find anywhere. Any clues? Or any other brands people know of?

Thanks 

I'm just wondering if you couldn't experiment with HPF by using DSP. In the digital domain it isn't hard to find 24db/octave filtering or variable slope and frequency tone controls. My M18 mixer offers these as does one of my PA amps. I'm sure you'd find this in most DAW's too. That would let you experiment with dual HPF fairly freely to create the sound you wanted or at the very least to try out ideas without having to make multiple purchases.

For me the main use of HPF is to protect speakers from over excursion and to clean up room resonances but doing everything in the digital domain would let you experiment to your hearts content and minds benefit.

• Like 1

On 28/03/2023 at 11:32, Old Ozzie Guy said:

What did the Talkbass crew have to say?

If you want a passive solution I'd suggest looking at how G&L and/or Peavey have done it in their basses. Outboard implementations in pedals or amps tend to be used quite differently and passive solutions tend to be lossy and therefore work pretty poorly in most of those cases, IME. And once you add makeup gain it's not really passive anymore, IMO.

On 29/03/2023 at 10:19, Old Ozzie Guy said:

Thanks for all input, I have a Boughton -12db on it's way. I'm still looking for a cheaper passive version. .

I think you need a little bit of power to make the magic happen. Otherwise we would be awash with passive HPF boxes. Your Broughton will make you so happy you forget all about it.

Maybe I can explain myself abit better. I have a Boughton active -12 db to b set 45 Hz, then I have a gob -3db passive set to 70 hz, 

Therefore "cut off" begins at (approx)70 hz at 3 db per Oct, while at 45 hz increased slope of 12 db per Oct.. soft then harder knee.. 

I hope this explains. 

PS.. before everyone starts about " lack of bottom end",, I'm try for a tone reminiscent of Jack Bruce...(Cream) with limitations of an Ampeg Micro VR, and a hofner Beatle Bass...

Pedals are a tech 21 VT, Darkglass SS comp , BBE stomp mini( set v low). Analogue delay (slap), Both hpf fx loop, Im looking to add a good gate there soon . 

8 hours ago, Old Ozzie Guy said:

Maybe I can explain myself abit better. I have a Boughton active -12 db to b set 45 Hz, then I have a gob -3db passive set to 70 hz, 

Therefore "cut off" begins at (approx)70 hz at 3 db per Oct, while at 45 hz increased slope of 12 db per Oct.. soft then harder knee.. 

I hope this explains. 

To clarify, a first order filter is 6dB/octave and a second order filter is 12dB/octave.

• Thanks 1