Why become a member? ×

Effective Detuning Pedals

mattbass6

I’m not sure if this is the right place to post, so please feel free to move to the relevant thread if that is the case. In a nutshell, I’m pretty much done with 5 and 6 string basses but the band I’m in, does require a low B on occasions. Is there a pedal that can be used that tracks well, for a 4 string bass. I’m so utterly comfortable with my current basses as far as feel, string spacing, scale length and sound, I’m loathed to use anything else. Any help is appreciated. Cheers ☺️

I've used the Digitech Drop quite a bit and found it good enough for playing live up to 3 semitones down provided it gets a clean signal. Any further down and the chorus thing mentioned above gets too noticeable for my liking. Taking E down to B would be asking a bit too much in my experience.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The Akai UB-1 Unibass (assuming you can find one!) lets you add a 4th below or a 5th above the note you're playing.  You can also add a synthesised octave above your root note, and add a 5th above that, so it becomes like a rhythm guitarist in a box.  Admittedly, it lacks the flexibility to play any other chords other than a basic root+5th above your line, but he doesn't miss notes (unless you do) and you don't have to pay him or buy him a pint!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, pbasspecial said:

Could you get away with a hipshot D tuner or have a bass strung BEAD?

I did think about this, but it’s also about not swapping basses live, unless I really have to. I may as well just stick to the 5 string. Thanks though ☺️

• Like 1

I use the Digitech Drop, it's OK for a tone down but anymore and it sounds way too artificial, don't get me wrong it sounds artificial even on a semitone drop but not so much that your average punter would notice it! It's a shame as it works really well on guitar but just doesn't manage it on bass but, it is the best I have found so far!

• Like 2

On 18/03/2023 at 00:25, Ed_S said:

I've used the Digitech Drop quite a bit and found it good enough for playing live up to 3 semitones down provided it gets a clean signal. Any further down and the chorus thing mentioned above gets too noticeable for my liking. Taking E down to B would be asking a bit too much in my experience.

Drop the E down to D then use the pedal to take it the rest of the way to B? 🤔

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, miles'tone said:

Drop the E down to D then use the pedal to take it the rest of the way to B? 🤔

Absolutely worth a try - I’ve used it to go 3 semitones down from both E and Eb, and it worked equally well, so that little bit extra seems feasible. I used a Thumpinator in front of the Drop on my live board and felt that it performed better than the one on my rehearsal board for which I didn’t splash out on another HPF.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I was in the same boat recently and bought the Digitech Drop. I played it for about 30 seconds and it went back in its box to be sent back. The tracking was really poor and it was quite glitchy. It was borderline unusable (for me, anyway).

Edited by 40hz
  • Thanks 1

On 18/03/2023 at 23:54, mattbass6 said:

I did think about this, but it’s also about not swapping basses live, unless I really have to. I may as well just stick to the 5 string. Thanks though ☺️

5 string sounds way, way better than the Drop (which is about the best) in my opinion.