Why become a member? ×

Thomann return - or not?

lownote

I need the hive wisdom please.

I've just bought a B stock Harley Benton B550FL from Thomann Germany. When it arrived straight out the box it had a thumbsized impact bruise on the bottom edge of the body, and one of the pickup screws spun uselessly in its hole. Other than that it's a remarkable instrument for just £167. So I reported these issues to Thomann and today, with the email equivalent of shooting dark glances at me they had me photographing all the packaging and the bruise and they've now gone off to deliberate what to do about it. They could accept a return, or make me keep it. 

Now, I really like the bass.  The bruise on the body doesn't worry because as the bassist I can't see it. I have successfully replaced the loose pickup screw with a longer one of my own, which does work - although it's so long it's close to coming through the other side of the body. So I could live with the bass as is.  But the B stock price was less than a tenner off the brand new price, and Thomann themselves say B stock gear 'may have slight signs of use'.  Now to me a loose pickup screw and a significant bruise isn't slight and would certainly put off a buyer if I try to sell it on sometime. 

So do I keep it and let Thomann get away with offloading damaged goods, or return it for a refund?  They can't send me another because they're out of stock at the moment. 

DSC_2943x.jpg

Edited by lownote

• lownote changed the title to Thomann return - or not?
1 hour ago, lownote said:

Now, I really like the bass. 

Only you can decide. If the above is true, however, £187 isn't much to shell out for it. There's a reason something is described as B stock and reduced in price. Perhaps try to get a few quid back from Thomann? Or are you buying it to flip it?

1 hour ago, Waddo Soqable said:

S'manth got a good hefty part refund for a similar damage, I'd say you suggest to them £100 part refund and you'll "take a chance" and keep it.. They'll counter offer but you should get a substantial bit off the price.. 

indeed.

I received a cosmetically damaged bass from Musiker, it had suffered an impact around the bottom button strap resulting is some finish flaking off. It was a B stock, which they described as nearly new but opened or used for demo etc.

I told them what I anticipated the repair cost (inc shipping )would be and said I’d keep it if they discounted it by that much plus a bit for inconvenience, all in all about £130 on a £270 instrument.

They knocked off £100, which I accepted … and I’ll fix the damage myself.

IF you like it then a similar approach would be worth considering.

S’manth x

Hope you get it sorted. Something to consider is trying to bargain for a gift voucher and not a straight refund. £40 gift voucher will cost Thomann less than a £30 refund. I’ve done this before and spent it on accessories which I was happy about and the shop was happy about. 

• Like 1

Try to negotiate...

If they won't reduce the price significantly try to negotiate "store credit" - that encourages you to remain their customer, spending their money with them, and hopefully you are happy with the outcome and spread the word about their good customer service.