Why become a member? ×

The Strangest Gear Demonstration Video You'll Ever Watch!

OK, didn't watch all of it just tried to find sections in which the bass was being played - increasingly a rarity on YT demos - but he seems to not really be an especially competent fretless player, or is that the point of the clip? 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Beedster said:

OK, didn't watch all of it just tried to find sections in which the bass was being played - increasingly a rarity on YT demos - but he seems to not really be an especially competent fretless player, or is that the point of the clip? 

There is a bit near the end where he says that he's only had the bass for a few months, which makes sense.

You really need to watch the whole video to fully appreciate the strangeness of it.

But yes, he only, and hard pressed, plays very little, and very badly by the end of the video, that however is not the entire point of my post, the video as a whole is, in the full context (plenty of bad bass players, nothing strange, or funny for that matter, about that as such).

Really need to watch the video.

Edited by Baloney Balderdash

1 hour ago, Baloney Balderdash said:

You really need to watch the whole video to fully appreciate the strangeness of it.

But yes, he only, and hard pressed, plays very little, and very badly by the end of the video, that however is not the entire point of my post, the video as a whole is, in the full context (plenty of bad bass players, nothing strange, or funny for that matter, about that as such).

Really need to watch the video.

Come on, save us the time :)

1 hour ago, Crusoe said:

There is a bit near the end where he says that he's only had the bass for a few months, which makes sense.

Buying that particular bass when not being able to play fretless is like me buying a helicopter however.... 

• Haha 2

10 minutes ago, Beedster said:

Come on, save us the time :)

So you are one of those people who prefer being told the point of a joke rather than hearing the actual joke?

It's really the whole video that is the point, it isn't just a one liner point, or at least that wouldn't be my point with posting this.

1 minute ago, Beedster said:

Buying that particular bass when not being able to play fretless is like me buying a helicopter however.... 

😄 When I said it makes sense, I meant I understood why his playing wasn't great. Let me know how you get on with that helicopter :D

7 minutes ago, Baloney Balderdash said:

So you are one of those people who prefer being told the point of a joke rather than hearing the actual joke?

It's really the whole video that is the point, it isn't just a one liner point, at least not my point with posting this.

I'm assuming it's just a car crash then, I find enough of that stuff on YT inadvertently without having to watch it on purpose 👍

3 minutes ago, cetera said:

Once he realises, like the rest of us do, that he can't play fretless..... he'll have fun trying to find a buyer for that anchor! 🤣

That's why I mentioned cognitive dissonance, sink that much cash into anything you have to get something out of it? 

9 hours ago, Beedster said:

I'm assuming it's just a car crash then, I find enough of that stuff on YT inadvertently without having to watch it on purpose 👍

Not my intend with posting this, if it was I would have posted a video of an actual car crash and chosen the title "Have A Laugh At Unfortunate People 👍*LOL*".

I am not laughing at the guy here, or pointing fingers, I am really just appreciating the oddness, might I say absurdness, of the video, and actually the whole implication of it, and thought others might too.

14 minutes ago, Baloney Balderdash said:

Not my intend with posting this, if it was I would have posted a video of an actual car crash and chose the title "Have A Laugh At Unfortunate People 👍*LOL*".

I am not laughing at the guy here, or pointing finger, I am really just appreciating the oddness, might I say absurdness, of the video, and thought others might too.

OK, I give in, I'll watch it tonight 👍

Seemed more like an advert for the Warwick custom shop than a gear demo, I suppose if you have that sort of money to throw around and that's what you want then why not.

Looking at his channel he is/was a gigging player and already has a custom 7 string Thumb. He's a Warwick endorsing artist but that probably stems from chucking 5 figures at their custom shop on more than one occasion.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Old Man Riva said:

I actually felt a bit sorry for the guy, but if you asked me why I wouldn’t be able to tell you?!

I quite liked him, he's an odd mix of comfortable and uncomfortable in that video, I wonder if he was simply having a bad case of stage fright in part because he's found himself a little out of his depth doing that interview? I'd happily sit and have a few beers with him 👍

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Beedster said:

I quite liked him, he's an odd mix of comfortable and uncomfortable in that video, I wonder if he was simply having a bad case of stage fright in part because he's found himself a little out of his depth doing that interview? I'd happily sit and have a few beers with him 👍

Going off his videos he's a pick player in a metal band, no complex parts but sounds good and keeps it pretty tight at a decent speed. Gonna guess he's not spent much time trying to do Jaco impressions.

Not really my thing but Warwicks sound a bit good through Darkglass.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Beedster said:

I think that’s it, he looked a little ‘lost’ in the interview - comfortable and uncomfortable sums it up well.

He doesn’t seem too sure what to play or what to say. It probably seemed a nice idea at the time, being approached for an interview, then when in the hot seat he looks distinctly uneasy …

Probably doesn’t help having seven strings, no frets, no side markers, with a hawk chasing a rabbit as your only reference point!

• Like 2

So the guy never played a fretless, decided to have one built by the deliriously expensive Warwick Custom Shop AND, that's where it's totally weird, without anything (dots, lines, ...) to help him being accurate, because he also decided to trust his ears, which aren't the best ones, that said.

But, he's honest (and quite sympathetic too) and says he can be out of tune sometimes ... well most of the time.

And the interviewer is asking such stupid questions about the way to play fretless to a guy who obviously can't play fretless!?!

Amazing!

• Haha 2