Why become a member? ×

It’s just a lump of wood isn’t it?

Rayman

19 minutes ago, Ralf1e said:

I have a Squier P bass 50th anniversary 1996 I bought for £50 made in Taiwan (apparently they are very good) Gave it a neck shim and some love. Unbelievable transformation.

I was stunned when I played it. Great feel, huge sound, lightish weight.

My cheapest bass but not put to shame by some of the other higher value I own.

I'll join you.

It's been said before, but compared to the equivalent cheapo or "starter" instruments that were available back in the day, the stuff you can buy now at the lower end is astonishingly good, and usable at pretty much any level if needs be. 

I've got a lot of time for the Squiers of all types... likewise, as came up in conversation earlier today, the budget MM Sub Stingrays made in Indonesia are excellent imho. 

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Waddo Soqable said:

It's been said before, but compared to the equivalent cheapo or "starter" instruments that were available back in the day, the stuff you can buy now at the lower end is astonishingly good, and usable at pretty much any level if needs be. 

I've got a lot of time for the Squiers of all types... likewise, as came up in conversation earlier today, the budget MM Sub Stingrays made in Indonesia are excellent imho. 

There is a black one up for sale on either gumtree or facebook market orc evil bay for I thought a good price.

Can't remember which it was. Sorry it's not black its white and in Scotland on ebay seller has no feedback

Edited by Ralf1e

Oh well dare I get this back on track. As a now bonafide cumadgeon that's been there and got every conceivable T shirt for his troubles I can honestly say it gives me great pleasure knowing my penny h'penny Squire P bass sounds just as good over by the compost toilets as the gazzillion quid thingy the guy in the other band is using. Yep it really is just a piece of wood and totaly at the mercy of the sound dude who really will do his best to pump the bass control and cut back the mids to zero...rendering ur oh so carefully crafted "tone" to boom and mush.

Incidentally my next bass is going to be made from finely wittled willow...you know the bendy stuff....should be amusing...haha

3 hours ago, greavesbass said:

Oh well dare I get this back on track. As a now bonafide cumadgeon that's been there and got every conceivable T shirt for his troubles I can honestly say it gives me great pleasure knowing my penny h'penny Squire P bass sounds just as good over by the compost toilets as the gazzillion quid thingy the guy in the other band is using. Yep it really is just a piece of wood and totaly at the mercy of the sound dude who really will do his best to pump the bass control and cut back the mids to zero...rendering ur oh so carefully crafted "tone" to boom and mush.

Incidentally my next bass is going to be made from finely wittled willow...you know the bendy stuff....should be amusing...haha

Sound is not the only issue, there's also playability. My Squier jazz sounds as good as my custom, but my custom is way nicer to play. In that respect it's not just a lump of wood. 

Now if you're perfectly happy with the way your Squier plays, then you have a bargain, but I have to say the compound radius '61 spec'ed neck, smooth set neck joint and contoured body on my custom is a work of art, sublime to play, and as far from a lump of wood as it's possible to get. To call it otherwise would be an insult to the luthier and as good as the Squier CNC machine is at pumping out a very decent mass produced BGs, there's no comparison when it comes to playability. 

Edited by Boodang
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Boodang said:

Sound is not the only issue, there's also playability. My Squier jazz sounds as good as my custom, but my custom is way nicer to play. In that respect it's not just a lump of wood. 

Now if you're perfectly happy with the way your Squier plays, then you have a bargain, but I have to say the compound radius '61 spec'ed neck, smooth set neck joint and contoured body on my custom is a work of art, sublime to play, and as far from a lump of wood as it's possible to get. To call it otherwise would be an insult to the luthier and as good as the Squier CNC machine is at pumping out a very decent mass produced BGs, there's no comparison when it comes to playability. 

In my personal experience, with my skill level, with my particulary physiology, my £400 Sire is the most playable, nicest-feeling-in-the-hands bass I have ever played.  Not the best sounding, although it sounds fantastic out the box.

Playability is as much about design as it is about any other factor.  The best luthier in the world using the most exotic woods, glued together with mermaids tears, using a sub optimum design will not make as playable an instrument as a decent quality mass produced item that does have the optimum design features and touches that the luthier left off.  It's as much about what they put into it as how they put it in.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bassfinger said:

In my personal experience, with my skill level, with my particulary physiology, my £400 Sire is the most playable, nicest-feeling-in-the-hands bass I have ever played.  Not the best sounding, although it sounds fantastic out the box.

Playability is as much about design as it is about any other factor.  The best luthier in the world using the most exotic woods, glued together with mermaids tears, using a sub optimum design will not make as playable an instrument as a decent quality mass produced item that does have the optimum design features and touches that the luthier left off.  It's as much about what they put into it as how they put it in.

Optimum design features are why for me, BGs are not just a lump of wood. 

PS if your Sire feels great but is not the best sounding have you considered replacing the pups/preamp? That way it would be perfect.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Boodang said:

Optimum design features are why for me, BGs are not just a lump of wood. 

PS if your Sire feels great but is not the best sounding have you considered replacing the pups/preamp? That way it would be perfect.

Way ahead of you. One Mr G Butler has supplied some pickups and cured the problem.

17 hours ago, Boodang said:

Well this is all very interesting. I also play a bit of cello and a harder instrument you will not find, in fact if you lower the strings too much the sound falls off appreciably, but with practise the set height is perfectly playable. "Playability" is I guess a very personal thing...personally I like a tiny bit of resistance...I like to feel the instrument fight me a bit...makes me work harder and to that end get a better outcome...Ive played necks that play themselves and they almost feel unsafe like my fingers gonna slip off or something. Anyway my Squire neck is fantastic...just the right amount of heft and resistance. 

• Like 1

On 17/02/2023 at 16:31, Frank Blank said:

It’s just a lump of wood isn’t it?

Yes.

...and no. My current faves are carbon fibre

On 17/02/2023 at 23:17, LeftyP said:

It's always a bonus to own nice things - bass guitars included.  Will your average punter down at The Dog & Duck notice the difference in sound between an Argos special and Fodera - probably not.  Most folk don't even notice bass players.  Just think back in the skiffle days and the old tea chest and broom handle, it worked and no-one bothered.  Should you buy an expensive bass?  If you can afford it and it brings you pleasure, why not.  Is it necessary - no, but if we only bought stuff that was necessary wouldn't life be a little dull?

It seems most people don't notice the number of strings either. I have a 4 but all my other basses are 5's and I have been playing 5's almost exclusively for 10+ years, yet last gig someone who's been coming to see us almost as long expressed surprise that I had a 5 and asked when I had started that :facepalm: 

• Haha 1