Why become a member? ×

What is a Vintage Modified Fender or Squier?

prowla

It’s just a name for one of their product lines really. They tend to have some looks/features of the original era instruments but perhaps with a modern tweak here and there. 
I.E might have a hi-mass bridge or 4 bolt neck that the original didn’t etc. 

I think the idea was to approximate a 60s/70s-era instrument that had been tweaked or upgraded as many were back in't day. Ther Vintage Modified fretless Jazz (the only VM I've had) was basically a Jaco copy - lined, no pickguard, siver knobs etc.

The Squiers were good quality too - made in Indonesia before production shifted to China for the early CV models. These days they're a bit of a bargain as they're next to nothing and have SD Design pickups, real rosewood boards etc. I'm still on the lookout for one of the PJ models coming up locally to me.

My VM70s strat is the best £140 I've spent on a guitar in years. Probably not the most authentic reissue (although the poly finish gives that authentically seventies plastic-dipped feel...) but the neck is brilliant, nice and light, and the pickups are hot with a mid push that sounds almost Telecaster-ish. Plus at that price when I accidentally picked the gig-bag up unzipped and it took a header into the warehouse floor I only cried a little bit!

Edited by borntohang

I had a Squier VM Jazz fretless, which when it came out was kind of industry standard entry level fretless.  Ebanol board, as I recall.  Quite nice. 

I also had a Squier VM Mustang, which was a great little bass.  In fact I've had two, both sold of course.  I'd probably buy another one if a black/maple came up for sale.  Stock pup was a bit meh but an easy upgrade.

5 hours ago, asingardenof said:

They're kind of like the Classic Vibe series with a few modern features. I used to have a VM 70s Jazz and it was fantastic, the fact that it weighed about as much as a planet notwithstanding (at least that part was period-authentic!). 

Actually, that was my next question...

What does "Classic Vibe" mean?

They're not labelled as such (neither VM or CV), are they?

2 minutes ago, Burns-bass said:

You can sometimes pick these up cheaply, as people wrongly assume they have a Squier Affinity.

They are pretty amazing from my experience. 

I think these days it's the other way round!

22 minutes ago, prowla said:

I think these days it's the other way round!

Not explicitly labelled on the guitars, no. Classic Vibe was basically a marketing term for slightly more accurate Squier reissues, or at least visually accurate. 'High end' manufacturing (for the price point), tinted necks, classic hardware and alnico pickups. 

Worth having a browse through the wiki:

https://www.squierwiki.com/Classic-Vibe-Series

https://www.squierwiki.com/Vintage-Modified-Series

20 hours ago, PaulThePlug said:

I think the Serial # start CV and VM...

No, but Chinese made models will start with C and Indonesian with I. The letters following usually indicate factory - my VM strat is ICS for Indonesia/Cor-Tek for example. My Chinese CVs are Cxx but the newer ones have Ixx serials. 

I should really stop buying so many Squiers. 🤦‍♂️

On 10/02/2023 at 15:52, prowla said:

The Classic Vibes had a sticker on the pickguard cling film, but I don't recall if the Vintage Modifieds also did:

DSCN4764.jpg.e76afd23e07b98a9d270a259bea40bbb.jpg

Vintage Modified and Classic Vibe were just the names of two of Squier's ranges of instruments. VMs were made in Indonesia, and CVs were made in China, and in my experience, the Classic Vibes were better quality, but a bit more expensive. A few years ago Squier disconnected the Vintage Modified range, and moved production of the CVs to Indonesia, so the current Classic Vibes are somewhere between the original Classic Vibes and Vintage Modifieds of 10-15 years ago.

Also, only Squiers were with Vintage Modified or Classic Vibe, Fenders weren't (although the Fender Modern Player range were made in the same factory as the Classic Vibes were)

Edited by Jono Bolton