Why become a member? ×

Zon dilemma

WalMan

I have a dilemma with sorting the pots on my Zon Legacy Elite.

The volume pot had given up so needed replacing. Got pots from Zon and they sent 5, because apparently it is possible to move the mid control from inside the cavity to the front-end that seemed like a good idea.

The usual place for this from other photos I have seen looks to be towards the back 'horn' as in the last mocked up picture. But now we have everything out of the cavity (and the mid control off the board 🤦‍♂️) it seems that there is no space in the back position because the shaft & legs on the new pots are shorter, so the board is pulled closer to the front, and there is a capacitor on the board in roughly the same position that will likely snag on the new mid pot.

So do we persevere and try to find a way to squeeze it into the usual position, or do we go with an alternate layout as pictured making a five dice face configuration, and if so with a normal side control knob or a different smaller one? The enormous top hat example is obviously not an option 🤣

I do like this bass and am not looking to sell currently, but it may become surplus to requirements (or due to GAS) and is not cheap, so I don't want to be making a change that'll put a big old dent in the value down the line!!

Currently stuck in horrendous indecision. Does the 5 dice layout work (it's growing on me) and if so do I go with a fifth standard size top or a smaller one?

Zon big1.jpeg

Zon small 2.jpeg

Zon small 3.jpeg

Zon small.jpeg

Zon standard.jpeg

Zon usual.jpeg

30 minutes ago, Doctor J said:

Why not just leave it in the cavity, where you haven't missed it all this time?

For years I chose basses that had 3 band EQ only to find I never really used the mids. I now have 3 basses with treble / bass only and if I want more mids (rarely) I use my amp. I guess it comes down to whether you use this facility much. If not I'd just go with the 4 knob option and adjust mids in the cavity.

If you find a way of getting the 5th knob into the cavity I would go with the last photo layout as it is what potential Zon owners would be familiar with and most likely hold its value better(?)

Edited by Acebassmusic
  • Like 1

If you plan to sell the bass, which is something will all end up doing, don't do anything to this Zon that will turn it into an obviously diy modified bass (and all your layouts are just suggesting this).

And as @Doctor J said, you didn't miss the mid control before, so...

Not so much a tangent, as a scarcely relevant interruption. Sorry.

In my daydreams, I have a bass that on the outside has vol + tone knobs, and a three-way switch. A pair of Nordstrand Big Splits. BB neck, TRBX body

On the inside are 12 trimpots: 2 sets of neck vol / bridge vol / treble / mids / mids freq / bass. The switch on the front goes between these two nicely set — sorry, these two "sculpted" tones. The third position is neck pickup, passive. I know what I like, and I don't need to have the knobs sitting in front of me, distractingly asking to be twiddled with.

11 hours ago, Downunderwonder said:

This is good advice.

The control was originally in the cavity on the board adjusted by screwdriver through the control cavity cover. Currently investigating putting it back.

Getting it into expected position for five knobs on the front seems unlikely to be possible unless anyone at Zon can tell us how

No to adding the 5th knob for all the reasons already given.

Adding the mid pot in the cavity is a good option, also you could then potentially move one of the other knobs into the cavity and have the mids on the front along with bass or treble.

Alternatively get a stacked pot so you can have e.g. treble/mid stacked and bass.

We’re looking at putting the original mid control back in the control cavity on the board where it always been and giving up on the idea of putting a pot on the front (a suggestion by Zon as a possibility in the first place when I talked to them about replacing the pots)

On 08/02/2023 at 12:39, WalMan said:

it seems that there is no space in the back position because the shaft & legs on the new pots are shorter, so the board is pulled closer to the front, and there is a capacitor on the board in roughly the same position that will likely snag on the new mid pot.

Or you could wire the ppt up via 3 very short wires, rather than directly on the pcb …

but I think you are possibly right in not modding if it’s not easy to do simply 

4 hours ago, LukeFRC said:

Or you could wire the ppt up via 3 very short wires, rather than directly on the pcb …

but I think you are possibly right in not modding if it’s not easy to do simply 

Indeed. The other possibility we talked about last night was cutting down the shaft of the extra pot that came from Zon and finding a way to fix it in the cavity so that the split shaft presents flush to the hole that was originally in the back plate for the mid control originally on the board. Depends whether the old mid pot will go back easily or not, but then it would be broadly back the way it was before with the Mid control on the board and adjusted through the backplate.

• 2 weeks later...

We ended up back at as it was with a couple of tweaks to get the board to fit, but essentially it is unchanged.

Email from Joe Zon following up on a couple of queries as to how to make it fit

Thought I’d address this directly.

The way I mod the old basses is by removing the treble and mid control from the board and reconnecting them with wires. I then drill another hole forward to the where the treble control was positioned. With the extra hole, the mid control now lives where the treble control did and the treble control lives in the newly drilled hole.

Regarding the jack, this is a bit tricky. You have to pull the jack through the hole in the body and then insert the board. Snug the board down and then push the jack in. Getting the wires around the board can be difficult, but doable. If the jack contacts the board, a portion of the board can be cut away, as long as the traces (silver lines) are not damaged.  As long as the little white nib on the inside of the jack can move freely and the plug stays intact, you’ll be fine.

If necessary, we could zoom with the repair person to solve this together.

Just waiting on a meet up to pick up the bass 🙂

No way to rewire the bass and treble controls onto a stacked pot? Or use a circuit that isn't the standard Zon/Bartolini one? Something like an East Uni-Pre wouldn't irritate any future buyers as long as it was cleanly installed as it's clearly an upgrade from the stock setup.