Why become a member? ×

Even Now Music Can Still Shock

Jason Karloff

If 'shock' and 'novelty' are the criteria these days, it's high time I put together my 'anima-jazz' troop, with a few goats and macaques, maybe a cockatoo or two. I'm not sure what 'bass' roar I could coax from a water buffalo, but I will promise 'polyrhythms' galore, and an atonal soundscape. I'm hesitating to provide any form of percussion for the apes, as I fear the smaller ones could be used as projectiles, but what's a free jazz concert without a modicum of risk, eh..? Tickets available shortly from your local animal welfare outlet. Bring your own peanuts. -_-

Edited by Dad3353

5 minutes ago, Leonard Smalls said:

I'll come!...

In that case I'll see if I can train the simians to aim a bit better.

If it's low notes that are required, we had an experiment in a very high barn, laying huge polystyrene panels across the beams, with a long length of piano wire fixed to the centre. By adjusting the suspended weight attached, 'notes' could be 'tuned'. We could hear the tones, but it was extremely difficult to record them; too low pitched for the semi-pro gear available to us at the time. Inexpensive fun, though, and a learning project. Long tubes were made, too (think Alpine horns...), but enormous volumes of air were needed to get 'em to sound. I have a compressor now, though, soooooo... Hmm... Time to break out the pvc cement again, maybe... :friends:

53 minutes ago, Leonard Smalls said:

I know someone who was so into his valve driven SET hifi he made concrete horns that went 20m into his garden... It went surprisingly low for about 8w/channel!

He wasn't that well-known audiophile George Izard, of Erering by any chance..? :/

When i was young i enjoyed bands that were unusual / experimental and not run of the mill. Started with pop in my early teens then rock, prog, jazz rock and listening to bands like Greenslade, Bruford, Patrick Moraz, Mahavishnu and a few others that pushed boundaries much the same as the youngsters in the above vids are doing these days. One of my first proper bands used to jam a lot at rehearsals and we would come up with some of the weirdest noises over a rock solid drum and bass line. Guitarist and keys would just get lost in themselves in a good way. Happy days too.

As i got older i started to prefer a nice vocal or musical melody in whatever style of music i listen to.

IMHO i think this style of music is more for a younger generation who still have an imagination to take them to places most of us oldies have long forgotten about.

Young girl is obviously a great drummer and i enjoyed them but all credit to any band that is making the effort to play what they want to play. That for me is what its all about.

Dave

When I was younger, I went to concerts, shows, festivals, clubs etc and saw/heard a lot of original, sometimes ground-breaking musicians playing all sorts of genres, many (or most...) of which had yet to have names. Back in those heady days, if I'd come across folk playing as in those videos above, I'd have thought them to be just noisy trash players, whatever skills they may or may not have possessed. Rubbish then is rubbish now. If anyone enjoys any of that, good luck to 'em, but it scores very low marks in my book, as it would have done 'back in the day'. ¬¬

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, Dad3353 said:

Rubbish then is rubbish now

One man's rubbish is another's gold...

A mate of mine once found a pair of fully working Quad 405 power amps and matching pre in a skip just off Hammersmith Grove!

And while we may agree on Magma, I'd be quite happy to bung any incarnation of the Jeffersons in the skip, unless it's in the original reggae 😁

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, cetera said:

I wouldn't call any of it 'shocking' tbh. Decent drummer on the first vid but she was all about hitting hard, which any drummer can do tbh...

Kind of what I thought, I didn't actually see anything 'special' there - she can do the job, but nothing shocking. I figured that maybe people liked girl drummers. Our drummer breaks the sticks all the time, which isn't so great when you have to get the PA louder than him!

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Bolo said:

Not that many people that are front person, drummist and lead vocals competently all at once.

Let's see you do better (really, I'd love to see your videos)

Oooooh! Are we back to the 'music is a competition' thread?

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Doctor J said:

The only shocking thing is if people are still shocked by women playing competently in rock and metal bands.

Absolutely. I think that in the past there may have been a transitionary period when it was understandable to highlight the skills of female musicians, but I like to think we are beyond that now and don't need to highlight any more.

However, based on vids that get shared on social media it seems like a lot of people are not so much shocked, but impressed by a woman doing rock instrumentation well.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Doctor J said:

Which ones?

Mind answering the other question first? Who all can you recommend that make interesting music as multi instrumentalist? That's what started this thread, the cool performance by Brutus.

Now it just looks like you're virtue signalling (I think that's what it's called these days) and reprimanding people for being impressed by a female musician. 

• Confused 2

So me, then, I wasn't sure who your question was directed at. Ok. I think you misinterpret the sentiment of what I said but, hey ho. She's a cool player in a cool band. I don't see where the shock comes in, though. I don't find it shocking that a woman can do this. Are you suggesting I should? That being said, I don't see anything in her drumming which should cause shock either. There's no virtue signalling going on. I am genuinely surprised if you find exception in women kicking donkey in rock bands. Perhaps we have been exposed to different music over the years.

26 minutes ago, Nail Soup said:

Absolutely. I think that in the past there may have been a transitionary period when it was understandable to highlight the skills of female musicians, but I like to think we are beyond that now and don't need to highlight any more.

However, based on vids that get shared on social media it seems like a lot of people are not so much shocked, but impressed by a woman doing rock instrumentation well.

I'm an oldie but yes i agree i'm usually impressed when i see women playing rock or prog when really i should be judging solely on their ability as a drummer and in this case the main singer too.

We dont see a lot of lead singer / drummers whether that be male or female and for me its an art in its own right. To co-ordinate hands. feet and vocals is an amazing level of musicianship.

I cant sing and play so i'm not one to criticise anyone that can do more than one thing at a time. I have become my own hypocrite there 😂

Dave

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bolo said:

Not that many people that are front person, drummist and lead vocals competently all at once.

Not many, no. But overall still quite a few. Our drummer sings, but only a few songs.

3 hours ago, Bolo said:

Let's see you do better (really, I'd love to see your videos)

If you are saying 'here is a good singer and drummer' then yes, for the music she is doing she does it really well, no problems. But that wasn't the statement, the statement was that she was shockingly good, and no, there is nothing there that I haven't heard.

If the statement is are you a better drummer and singer, then no on both counts, I play bass and sing (I don't frontman, but then I didn't see her do that either), I don't play drums at all. If singing better than me is shocking, the world must be a very scary place!

• Like 3

19 hours ago, Nail Soup said:

Going by the videos YouTube are continually proffering me, middle-aged men are grateful for an acceptable opportunity for admiring hot / young women, when the only cost required is pretending to take their fluent competence for something extraordinary.

• Like 2

On 04/02/2023 at 11:11, Jason Karloff said:

https://youtu.be/5XgCfAK-3pA

If I was a drummer she would of just made me quit. 

Makes Keith Moon look like he was hitting his kit with feather dusters. 

Love the moment at 4.06 when she hits the cymbal and a huge chunk of drumstick goes flying. 

Never seen anyone destroy a drum kit quite like that. 

Well, that was effing wonderful. It takes a lot for new music to genuinely move me, that was something special.

On 04/02/2023 at 11:11, Jason Karloff said:

https://youtu.be/5XgCfAK-3pA

If I was a drummer she would of just made me quit. 

Makes Keith Moon look like he was hitting his kit with feather dusters. 

Love the moment at 4.06 when she hits the cymbal and a huge chunk of drumstick goes flying. 

Never seen anyone destroy a drum kit quite like that. 

Well, that was effing wonderful. It takes a lot for new music to genuinely move me, that was something special.

• Like 2