Why become a member? ×

Scott Devine reviews Rickenbacker

TheGreek

11 minutes ago, Waddo Soqable said:

You already know he's just going to say it's $hit. 

Despite his clickbait titles, he's generally not that negative about anything.

My guess is that like many people he hates the horse shoe pickup surround but then goes on to be mainly positive.

• Like 1

It's another one where he's talking to that bloke who looks like his American identical twin.

The first time I saw one of these I was really confused. It took me a while to realise that he wasn't talking to himself while putting on a American accent 

Edited by Cato
  • Haha 3

11 minutes ago, Cato said:

It's another one where he's talking that bloke who looks like his to American identical twin.

The first time I saw one of these I was really confused. It took me a while to realise that he wasn't talking to himself while putting on a American accent 

I saw a bit of one of those, and thought WTF why's he doing the fake yank voice.... 

• Haha 1

Always loved a nice Ric despite their quirks. Spent many years looking before I found my first 4001 , but that was back in the dark days before the internet. There were simply none for sale around Nova Scotia. 

Just now, Newfoundfreedom said:

Me neither. But I quite like Rickenbackers. 😁

I used to have a legit Yolana D bass Czechoslovakian made bass that was a copy of a Rickenbacker. I carved it to a different shape and to this day I regret it. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, SH73 said:

I used to have a legit Yolana D bass Czechoslovakian made bass that was a copy of a Rickenbacker. I carved it to a different shape and to this day I regret it. 

Yup. Sounds familiar. I had a well worn Ibanez copy which was probably better built than the original. I traded it in for £50 against a guitar when I was about 18. What was I thinking?! 

Just now, Newfoundfreedom said:

Yup. Sounds familiar. I had a well worn Ibanez copy which was probably better built than the original. I traded it in for £50 against a guitar when I was about 18. What was I thinking?! 

I was similar age, and liked the 1991 Metallica Black album era, so I modified the Ricky copy to match Newsteds bass. Still have it.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Newfoundfreedom said:

I'd love to see pictures of you have the time. 

(Apologies for the thread hijack. But it's kind of on topic 😆 )

The guitar sits collecting dust at my parents house. Has done for over 25 years. Will retrieve it eventually.

• Like 1

I'm a recent convert.  I'd always fancied one but thought they were too expensive to buy on a whim just to try.  It was as an itch I wanted to scratch, though.  Then I got lucky  and dipped my toe in the Ricken-water with a quality '70s MIJ faker that appeared on the 'Bay at reasonable cost and just fell in love with it.  Love how it looked, love how it sounded, love how it played.  But at over 10lbs  it (and the real ones) was too heavy for me and I had to move it on (these days 8.5lbs is my absolute limit, wide straps notwithstaning, less than 8lbs is ideal).  However all is well, courtesy of Davie @kodiakblair I now have a bitsa Retrovibe Renegade that is just the job as my Rickenbacker Itchenscratcher.  It looks quite a lot like a Rick, sounds quite a lot like a Rick, weighs 2lbs less than a Rick and cost £1500 less than a Rick.  Despite my love of all things Precision, my band actually prefer the sound of this in the mix so it is getting a decent amount of airplay.  Something about the tone in the middle of the neck I love.

Anyway, I'm sure Mr Devine would be mortified to hear I am not a fan of his faux chummy style and vertigo inducing filming so never watch his vids.

• Like 3

With all the recent Rickenbacker talk, I had a mental tot up of the ones I've had over the years, it's 3 real ones (one I'd completely forgotten about) and 3 fakers, a Hondo an Aria and a Rocktile ebay special. This doesn't include the one I'm butchering into a headless at the mo. 

I think they look and sound great and couldn't care less what weight they are, I never thought of them as heavy basses anyhow, the body for instance is a fairly thin slab. 

As mentioned elsewhere, what a pity they don't (and won't) do a "squier" equivalent made in the far east at an affordable price 

• Like 2

Good vid actually, pretty funny. They work well as a double act. More natural. 

One thing I picked up on though is the Peter Hook reference as a player. Hooky actually played a cheap faker because he couldn't afford a real Ric.

Hooky hated playing that bass so as soon he made enough money to buy a proper bass, he bought a Yamaha.

Edited by miles'tone
Typo
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, miles'tone said:

Hooky actually played a faker because he couldn't afford a real Ric.

Hooky hated playing that bass and and as soon he made enough money to buy a proper bass, he bought a Yamaha.

Similar story for Bruce Foxton.

He had a faker, Ibanez if I mind right. A real Ric was bought at Mr Weller's insistence, fitted his idea for the band's image.

Bruce moved on to a P-bass when given a choice. 

• Like 2