Why become a member? ×

Schecter - thoughts?

Black Coffee

6 minutes ago, TheGreek said:

Someone else had a similar query recently  - not sure of the outcome though. 

A friend who has been playing over 40 years had one and was very impressed. 

Not surprising really  - there aren't many bad new basses out there. 

Not sure if its me living in a music shop vaccuum or whether all of a sudden these have just appeared.

Not a brand im very familiar with.  

3 hours ago, Black Coffee said:

Been ogling some Schecter basses recently.

Anyone any experience? Thoughts? Experiences?

this looks dishy but I haven’t a hope of try before I buy anywhere in the wastelands of N Ireland …

CA5F8CD0-51C4-4067-A341-A6CAA1B6A669.jpeg

Cici Powell (aka Cici Bass on YouTube etc) plays one of these and it sounds pretty good:

7 minutes ago, MrDinsdale said:

85CB9A23-09F5-4527-BA0C-DBAC8CC926F9.thumb.jpeg.0aaa9b501cf821e7d9ba1757cf8680d8.jpeg

I've got a jazz and p that i love.

Actually been blown away by the jazz, plays and sounds excellent. I wish it had the luminilay like the Exotic but that's about my only criticism.

The Model T exotic looks fantastic, the PJ setup will give loads of tonal options too. 

I love the J-5. Old model and new model. I'd probably get one in the future (but not in the near future...)

What I got is a CV-5. Awesome quality and awesome sound. The neck feels amazing. But it is heavy. Really heavy. My Yamaha BB735 weights 4kg and the Schecter 4.9. But I'd recommend it any day. 

20221209_203124.jpg

• Like 2

Back in the 80s they were manufactured in the US and thought of as high end brand. They brought out superior versions of Jazzes and Precisions and were pretty expensive. These days I know nothing about them other than their prices look like they're in Squier/Sire territory which I assume means they're now manufactured in the far East.

1 minute ago, MrDinsdale said:

I don't know the weight of mine but i can say they weigh a lot less than my Warwick!

Funnily enough the Yamaha BB is the next bass on my list. Was actually considering a 434 as a lowish cost backup for my J4 when when I'm gigging again. 

They are great basses. I tried the 435 and was really good, but I preferred active (even though the schecter is passive :P) and I went with the BB735. It's my main bass, I love it. I also have a BB605. Can't go wrong with Yamaha (or Schecter)

• Like 2

1 minute ago, gjones said:

Back in the 80s they were manufactured in the US and thought of as high end brand. They brought out superior versions of Jazzes and Precisions and were pretty expensive. These days I know nothing about them other than their prices look like they're in Squier/Sire territory which I assume means they're now manufactured in the far East.

Mine is from Indonesia. I must say that Made in Indonesia usually says good quality. I'm sure it depends on the brand, but I have a lot of basses (three Yamahas, one Schecter and even a Squier) and they all are pretty good quality.

• Like 2

The only Schecters I've played are the 2 i own and I can't fault them. They're a league above the MIM equivalents I've tried (granted I've only played a few) and come with excellent stock hardware.

The only downside I have is that they don't hold value as well as a Fender but that's only an issue if you intend on selling it.

Of the two I've actually come to like the cheaper J4 more, the monstertone pickups are perfect for my needs. The P4 Exotic is incredible but my first p-bass and I'll admit I miss the articulation and snappiness of the bridge pickup. 

• Like 1

The J4 in Surf Green has tempted me a few times. I just can't get over the pickup routing. Circular ended pickups in square routes - leaving a lot of space. What is that about?

v85tjnrupCRqGVzZRbAbze-1200-80.jpg

Edited by 40hz
  • Like 1

I had a schecter guitar and it was really great. Good build quality, excellent spec. 

The downsides are the resale aspects. But I'm not sure we should buy instruments with that in mind. 

Personally i think their basses look great. The Banshee in particular. 

Edited by uncle psychosis
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, 40hz said:

The J4 in Surf Green has tempted me a few times. I just can't get over the pickup routing. Circular ended pickups in square routes - leaving a lot of space. What is that about?

v85tjnrupCRqGVzZRbAbze-1200-80.jpg

I felt the same (possibly to a lesser extent as i have one) but it's actually just the top of the pickup that is rounded, the base fills the cavity so there isn't a gap or anything. It's still a bit of an odd design decision on the pickups though. 

On 27/01/2023 at 12:28, Black Coffee said:

Been ogling some Schecter basses recently.

Anyone any experience? Thoughts? Experiences?

this looks dishy but I haven’t a hope of try before I buy anywhere in the wastelands of N Ireland … I heard a demo of this active P bass and it got enough crispness without an added Jazz pickup.I liked the sound.

CA5F8CD0-51C4-4067-A341-A6CAA1B6A669.jpeg

I bought a 5 string ff studio 5 waited 16 weeks for delivery.

Great bass Made in indosplop land

Body burst where the badly cut output jack is.

PMT said it had been dropped without even seeing it face to face. It had burst while stored in its case. Never got any help from them or Schecter.

One of the most skilled and over qualified carpenters I have ever met said it was bad use of grain in the wrong place.

Save your money buy a Spector Euro

That's the real name we are looking for.

Copied but never beaten as many on here will testify

Edited by Ralf1e
  • Like 1