Why become a member? ×

NBD: Excitement then disappointment … and now happiness

SamIAm

Just now, naxos10 said:

That Kala 5 string looks really nice Smanth.

I would think the wider neck probably feels better and easier to play than a skinier 4 string uke?

The string spacing is not too different to my 4 string ubass ... but it has a 23 inch scale length (rather than 21.5) and I find that a tad better.

S'manth x

Just now, Ralf1e said:

Its a better model than mine. Mine is a Kala SUB 5 string

But I love them as well.

Mine too. I'd have preferred a Cali as you can get them in fretless, unlike the SUB, and I prefer fretless for rubber-string basses.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ralf1e said:

Its a better model than mine. Mine is a Kala SUB 5 string

But I love them as well.

|They look suspiciously so much like the ones Harley Benton are now selling I wonder if it is the same overseas maker

6 minutes ago, Ralf1e said:

|They look suspiciously so much like the ones Harley Benton are now selling I wonder if it is the same overseas maker

Visually it is.  I reached out to Kala and they told me it was a First Generation CA Solid Body built in May 2014. Ash body, Maple neck and Rosewood 0 radius fingerboard.  It has Hipshot tuners and MiSi electronics.  The only thing I changed was popping on a set of Thunder Browns (Which are awesome!) and adding some more side marks using a paint based marker pen.

S'manth x

Edited by Smanth

20 minutes ago, Ralf1e said:

Possibly, but the body shapes aren't that similar - the top and bottom horns are quite different. They curve in towards the neck much more on the HB than on the Kala. IMNSHO the HB horns are better looking, but HB don't make a 5-string solid bass uke - yet. Come to that, Kala have abandoned the SUB.

The HB does look very like another bass uke though - https://www.basscentre.com/bass-centre-ashbory-bass.html although I'm not sure if stocks of that will ever be replenished, and they're not doing a 5-string version (I asked them a few years ago).

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Smanth said:

Visually it is.  I reached out to Kala and they told me it was a First Generation CA Solid Body built in May 2014. Ash body, Maple neck and Rosewood 0 radius fingerboard.  It has Hipshot tuners and MiSi electronics.  The only thing I changed was popping on a set of Thunder Browns (Which are awesome!) and adding some more side marks using a paint based marker pen.

S'manth x

Sorry we got overlapped I was talking about the SUB not your cali bass when I said it was like the  Harley Benton.

I actually tried a cali up at our friends in Warwickshire but it didn't seem right. Young feller asked me how you getting on with it. I said  doesn't feel right. His answer was. If it doesn't feel right then its not leave it.

I left with a Warwick thumb bolt on that wasn't even on the shop floor. Loved it. Loved it so much I have now given it to my grandson and he is loving it and making good progress with it. He is still only 15 not been playing more than 18 months. Bloody show off lol. So glad to help him on the journey.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Smanth said:

Not sure ... I'd backordered ordered one from Thoman who are currently quoting 5-7 weeks and they seem to still be available at a couple of US sites.

S'manth x

DV247 have changed theirs to late March now so who knows, might be worth emailing Ibanez so you know what your options are.

I'm currently waiting for a very specific discontinued bass to appear on the used market (also an Ibanez) for a non ridiculous price and it's a bit frustrating!

• Like 1

20 hours ago, lemmywinks said:

I'm currently waiting for a very specific discontinued bass to appear on the used market (also an Ibanez) for a non ridiculous price and it's a bit frustrating!

I spent years waiting for an ibanez Artcore 5 string semi hollow to appear, everything turns up eventually

• Like 2

As am I :search:+

2 hours ago, Woodinblack said:

I spent years waiting for an ibanez Artcore 5 string semi hollow to appear, everything turns up eventually

Certainly hope so 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Chienmortbb said:

Sales figures do not lie. For a big brand like Ibby, the bean counters will tell them to stop selling a model if sales are poor. 

At least they dare every once in while making some really unusual innovating stuff available on the market, and at fairly reasonable prices considering, if usually only for a limited period of time (I guess until the main chunk of the niche segment of customers at that given time potentially interested in the given niche product in question has been supplied, and sales then as a result dips), despite clearly being a niche product, which is a lot more to say than of by far most other similar big corporate guitar/bass companies their size.

They actually bother catering the more niche segment of their customers (hard to blame them for only doing so for as long as it is actually profitable, they are after all a business and not a charity organization).

Edited by Baloney Balderdash
  • Like 2

18 hours ago, Chienmortbb said:

Sales figures do not lie. For a big brand like Ibby, the bean counters will tell them to stop sellling a model if sales are poor. 

They're still making the cheaper (and also fretted) version of the bass I want so I guess they've found a price point where it's sustainable.

• SamIAm changed the title to NBD: Excitement then disappointment … and now happiness

Well, I’m happy to report that Muziker have done me right.

After reporting the damage, they offered me £100 refund, which I have accepted (I’d paid £238 + Duty Paid Shipping).

Apart from the cosmetic damage around the bottom strap pin, I am really happy with ‘Ibby’. The neck is a nice profile with a smooth finish and nicely cleaned fret edges. The pups sound pretty good and seem noise free. She is light (for sure under 3kg) with on,y a small amount of neck dive. The tuners are OKish, tho the E unit is a bit stiff … I’ll probably swap in some new, black, lighter ones at some point (and probably black knobs and bridge).

First she needs a setup to lower the action and sort intonation and then I’ll use some superglue to reattach the surface bits that have come away … I’ll probably also need to get something to fill in any little gaps and then polish up the area.

Thanks all for your ideas and support.

S’manth x

• Like 16