Why become a member? ×

Compression.

DTB

21 minutes ago, nilorius said:

No? Then what for compression is built? It evens the louder and quiter sound to one volume level (depends on settings). Anyway - compression is more for guitars than basses.

If that’s the case why would my Hartke bass amp have one built in before the eq section?

23 minutes ago, Dad3353 said:

Well, with bold statements of the sort, there's not much else of a response to give, I'd say. Compression, just like any effect/treatment, has its place, and is very useful in the right circumstances, for bass, guitar, vocals, drums (I'm a drummer...), so saying 'it's all in the fingers' is a bit... simplistic. I don't know if you've read through the pages on the subject linked above; there's much to learn there, for those ignorant of what, exactly, compression is, and what it can do. Worth a look, or not..? :friends:

Well, i agree. But i have tried a compression and it's just not for me, especially when playing bass solo.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, nilorius said:

Well, i agree. But i have tried a compression and it's just not for me, especially when playing bass solo.

That's fair enough; other players have different needs, experiences and styles. No-one is obliged to use Fx of any sort, and personal choice comes into it. If you don't need or want it, that's fine. B|

Edited by Dad3353

2 minutes ago, Dad3353 said:

That's fair enough; other players have different needs, experiences and styles. No-one is obliged to use Fx of any sort, and personal choice comes into it. If you don't need or want it, that's fine. B|

As always - You find the way!

I don’t use any effects when playing guitar. Just straight into a nice valve amp. 
Kind of carrying over onto my bass playing. There’s something I like about going straight into the amp, even my tuner is on a spur from the mixer. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DTB said:

I don’t use any effects when playing guitar. Just straight into a nice valve amp. 
Kind of carrying over onto my bass playing. There’s something I like about going straight into the amp, even my tuner is on a spur from the mixer. 

Natural valve compression?

• Like 4

27 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

Just for reference, careful that spelling of au fait, as what you wrote is considered an offensive term in places!

Thanks. I had to Google that to find out. My bad spelling! I'll never spell au fait wrong again. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Buddster said:

Thanks. I had to Google that to find out. My bad spelling! I'll never spell au fait wrong again. 

Spellings between languages is great isn’t it?

I wished all my skate friends on Facebook a happy new @rsehole one year instead of happy new year coz i left an accent off in Spanish. 

• Haha 7

Years ago, I tried a BB Sonic Maximiser and whilst it tightened the sound up I just thought that it didn't sound like me playing. Not a very good description, but I A/Bd it several times and preferred it out of circuit. It went back to the shop.

Edited by NikNik

21 hours ago, nilorius said:

No? Then what for compression is built? It evens the louder and quiter sound to one volume level (depends on settings). Anyway - compression is more for guitars than basses.

Chat to an audio engineer about how he uses compression for bass and mixes in general, and believe me, he will.  To say you don't need it as you can control it with your fingers is just as the other member put it really, not accurate.

• Like 6

7 hours ago, NikNik said:

Years ago, I tried a BB Sonic Maximiser and whilst it tightened the sound up I just thought that it didn't sound like me playing. Not a very good description, but I A/Bd it several times and preferred it out of circuit. It went back to the shop.

BBE sonic maximiser is an aural exciter, not a compressor, it uses EQ and phase cancellation to enhance higher harmonics and clean up mud. I'd not expect one to have much effect on bass unless you're going for some ultra clean fretless Micheal Manring type sound.

• Like 1

On 25/01/2023 at 10:33, Lozz196 said:

I don’t use compression live, have tried many times but just don’t like it.

However for home practice I like it. I wouldn’t say it covers up poor technique rather than really highlights it, and as such it improves technique as a result.

I have Lozz's Keely Bassist and it's always on. 

In particular its good to have the amp gain high so your soft playing is still loud but soft and rounded and as you get louder and dig in, the attack and hard dynamics still come through but don't overdrive the input. 

It's a case of using it very subtly. 

• Like 1

On 26/01/2023 at 17:47, Dad3353 said:

Well, with bold statements of the sort, there's not much else of a response to give, I'd say. Compression, just like any effect/treatment, has its place, and is very useful in the right circumstances, for bass, guitar, vocals, drums (I'm a drummer...), so saying 'it's all in the fingers' is a bit... simplistic. I don't know if you've read through the pages on the subject linked above; there's much to learn there, for those ignorant of what, exactly, compression is, and what it can do. Worth a look, or not..? :friends:

Many of You puts the compression as a superb pedal, but can't explain the goods of it. Anyway it goes to the way that you like it, but don't exactly know the goods/bads of it.