Why become a member? ×

Bass Pedal Chain/Order

Mike Bungo

Hi everyone

I'm needing a little guidance to get my pedals in the correct order and listed below is what I'm looking to add to my board

Tuner (This is obvious)

TC Electronic Nova Drive - Overdrive/distortion

EHX Bass Clone - Chorus

Ampeg Classic - Pre amp

Boss - SYB5 Bass Synth

Any thoughts on this 

Thanks Mike

Not a big FX user. 

But.

There's a dogma that suggests that drives and distortions go before the pre (or head) and that modulation fx go in the FX loop ( IF there is one)

However... do  you envisage using the synth and distortion together?

The synth will probably be wanting a nice, clean signal to help it track properly, so needs to go before the others if they're going to be used together. 

• Like 1

Tuner goes first only IF:

1) the bass is lo-Z ("active"), or

2) fuzz/dist/OD does not change its behaviour with lo- and hi-Z signals, or

3) the tuner is true bypass.

If the first and the second are true, it's up yours where the tuner is. Any buffers in between the bass and the effect may affect the behaviour of the effect. Same may apply to compressors, too. Trial is your best friend.

• Like 1

The general rule of thumb is tone and then time - so your chorus, being a time-based effect, is probably best at the end. 

Effects that depend on pitch tracking tend to work best with a clean and consistent signal, so on that basis I'd try the synth right at the front. 

The preamp is simulating the front end of an amp, so I'd start with having that after the drive. 

Tuner > Synth > OD > Preamp > Chorus would be how I'd start, but it's always fun to move things around and see how different pedals interact with one another. 

• Like 3

I run very little. Tuner first, overdrive (used only for one song, I prefer to use other controls for a bit of grit), Drop Box (I'm not lugging my 5 as well for only one song) and then put the preamp last as that feeds into our mixer and the 2nd feed into my monitor. As suggested above, there isn't a 'proper' order, on,y what works best for your circumstances and equipment.

I have a Zoom multi effects job as well but as great as it is its too easy to pink torpedo up on stage with it, even I can't go wrong with just a minimum of pedals in front of me.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Mike Bungo said:

Hi everyone

I'm needing a little guidance to get my pedals in the correct order and listed below is what I'm looking to add to my board

Tuner (This is obvious)

TC Electronic Nova Drive - Overdrive/distortion

EHX Bass Clone - Chorus

Ampeg Classic - Pre amp

Boss - SYB5 Bass Synth

Any thoughts on this 

Thanks Mike

Like other people have said, I'd recommend you to experiment with it a little bit. Tuner goes first though.
About the other pedals it all depends really, my instinct says:
Tuner -> SYB5 -> Overdrive/Dist -> Chorus -> Preamp
The reasoning behind that is that I'd considered the SYB5 a "source" more than an effect, something I'd then effect with the other pedals, so it goes first.
I'd put the preamp last because in my experience (with totally different pedals though) is better. I treat it as if it's the preamp on a bass amplifier, I put it last unless it has send/returns, at that point something might be connected there.
Also preamp outputs can be quite hot, so I'd check if my other pedals would be happy with that.
Anything else in the middle is up for discussion.

Edited by mario_buoninfante
  • Like 1

One day I am going to get around to putting a proper pedalboard together. In antici………pation of that day, I have built a little switch box. It is basically two loops - A and B - and the switch changes which loop goes first. Because there doesn’t seem to be a definitive order for pedals, I thought such a switch would come in handy for experimenting for myself.

It’s just a box, half a dozen sockets, a couple of LEDs, some wire and a footswitch. Very simple to knock up if you can solder.