Why become a member? ×

I fu©king love being in bands

Dankology

Apologies for the needlessly positive post - I know I certainly get more enjoyment from the more negative ones.

Last night was our third rehearsal after an unusally long Christmas break. I'd sent on two or three demos over recent weeks but we'd never actually got round to trying them out together. I gently pushed them forward after we'd warmed up a little and... my God: my cheesy, chintzy instrumental demos were swiftly transformed into *songs*. 

I don't know how they do it but our singer/drummer and guitarist just jumped in and there were instantly lyrics, melodies and structure - and it was good :) 

Interestingly the structure of one of them immediately changed with what I'd intended as a short outro becoming the verse, the verse the chorus and the middle 8 summarily dismissed. Listening back to the recording now I can't understand what's happening - how we're anticipating each other's moves and I definitely don't know what the bass player is channeling because I'm not sure I can play like that in real life.

And after that we jammed our way into what sounds like it could turn into another song. Then we tried an old one and made a complete pig's ear of it.

An utterly joyous, affirming and revitalising experience. And before anyone thinks I'm turning into some sort of hippy, I fully realise that whatever was conjured last night was the result of three people who have spent their whole lives playing and listening to music, spent years playing with each other (and listening to each other) and, crucially, being daft enough to just try stuff and not be worried about falling flat on our faces.

I thoroughly recommend it. But I really need some tales of unreasonable singers/guitarists/punters to bring me back down to earth now.

• Like 23
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Due to moving to the other end of the country a couple of years ago, I had to quit the 2 bands I was in (certain overlaps in the line ups meant no conflicts). Without doubt, it was the only regret in having upped sticks. In the last month or so, I’ve finally joined another band locally and although not necessarily the genre I would have chosen, I’m so happy to be back playing with others. First gig next month and I’m really looking forward to it.

• Like 3

I love playing in bands but I also love having my free time. Although I’m in 3 bands at present I still have more free weekends and nights in the week than on band duty. I’ve been in bands where pretty much every weekend was gigging and it’s just not for me anymore.

• Like 2

Partner totally doesn’t get it. It’s “pi55ing around with guitars” (I know, totally insulted, liked I’d be seen dead with a 6 stringed toy version of a bass) but major moment of my life was playing live for first time and watching the glasses behind the bar rattle as I sound-checked and playing along with a guitarist to a song that had people up and dancing, and thinking “I’m making that happen” 

“would you do it again?” She asked .. “in a New York minute” I replied 

• Like 4

I just joined another band, as in my original band our lead guitarist left and his replacement can only rehearse every other week. Since the new guy is very good, we agreed to switch from weekly rehearsals to every other week. Hence why I wanted to fill in the downtime, so I joined another band that is playing a different genre. They rehearse every other week as it happens.

I’ll have to manage any potential gig clashes, but I love the overall vibe I get from playing in bands. 

• Like 1

I've posted on other threads that one of the main reasons I love gigging is that interaction you get between band members when everything is cooking. It doesn't always happen, and it takes time and effort to get to the point where it could happen. But when it does, whether you're writing, recording or playing a gig, it is priceless. I've experienced it enough to know I want more. 

I totally get the OP's post and the reason for posting it. If that makes me a hippy, well, yeah, maaaan. 😃

• Like 5

10 hours ago, Geek99 said:

Partner totally doesn’t get it. It’s “pi55ing around with guitars” (I know, totally insulted, liked I’d be seen dead with a 6 stringed toy version of a bass) but major moment of my life was playing live for first time and watching the glasses behind the bar rattle as I sound-checked and playing along with a guitarist to a song that had people up and dancing, and thinking “I’m making that happen” 

“would you do it again?” She asked .. “in a New York minute” I replied 

Nutshell 🙂

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Franticsmurf said:

I've posted on other threads that one of the main reasons I love gigging is that interaction you get between band members when everything is cooking.

That moment when everything syncs perfectly it feels like you've gone from a group of individuals with a common interest to one being, kind of like Voltron 😄

It's pure magic when it happens and better than any drug I've tried.

• Like 4

I love it when that happens. 

I walked into practice a couple of weeks ago and said "I've got this bass riff going through my head. It's kind of surf rock meets The B52's". Then started playing the riff. The rest of the band joint in, including the singer with some ad-lib lyrics and it was exactly what I had in my head. 

I'm still constantly amazed by being able to create music with other people. 

• Like 4