Why become a member? ×

Andy Rogers short-scale custom build - *SOLD*
£745
Taunton UK

scrumpymike

Our Andyjr1515 built this to the same spec as my main gig bass (also built by Andy) as a backup. I've never had to use it in anger though as my other AR bass has been 100% reliable so I've decided to turn it into GAS vouchers 🙂.

Compact, lightweight and a one-off in design terms, this bass is in top condition. Strap balance is perfect and the fast, slim neck makes it a sweet player. Functionally it's hugely versatile thanks to the 3 'lippy' pickups plus 7-way switching* that allows all pickups to be selected individually or in any combination. Each position gives you a distinctly different, totally useable voice, and I use all 7 on gig bas number 1 to suit various numbers in our covers band.

Price includes a mint Gator shell case and a white-pearloid scratch-plate alternative to the ebony one fitted if you want to bling things up a bit. Strings are virtually unused La Bella flats.

I'm happy to meet for mutually convenient handover within an hour's drive from Taunton or pack for shipment provided buyer arranges and pays for delivery.

* Via 5-way slider switch and push/pull volume knob

Rascal Lyte Mkll finished.jpg

Rascal Lyte Mkll finished2.jpg

Rascal Lyte Mkll finished3.jpg

Edited by scrumpymike
  • Like 27

• scrumpymike changed the title to Andy Rogers short-scale custom build
1 hour ago, basscki said:

Where does a strap attach? Could be my eyesight but I can't see any strap buttons in the photos.

GLWTS

Well spotted! They're in the usual places, see below. I already had some Schaller strap-lock pins and the pic's were taken before I fitted them into the holes Andy had pre-drilled.

DSC_0133.JPG

19 minutes ago, Pinball said:

Beautiful!

Is this based on "Rascal" electrics?

It is. The Fender Rascal was a great bass spoilt by a stupidly-shaped body. Fortunately they were kind enough to publish a Fender Rascal Bass Service Sheet that included a wiring diagram - with one mistake that Andy spotted.

Edited by scrumpymike
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, scrumpymike said:

It is. The Fender Rascal was a great bass spoilt by a stupidly-shaped body. Fortunately they were kind enough to publish a Fender Rascal Bass Service Sheet that included a wiring diagram - with one mistake that Andy spotted.

Is the correct wiring diagram out there anywhere or could it be put on this forum? I just like to get into the techy stuff!

2 hours ago, basstone said:

Is the correct wiring diagram out there anywhere or could it be put on this forum? I just like to get into the techy stuff!

Original Fender doc attached. I'll see if Andy remembers what the fault was but in the meantime let's make it into a 'Techie Quiz' and see if anybody can spot it 🙂 

Fender Classic Player Rascal Bass 0140110308 Service Manual.pdf

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, BetaFunk said:

In what way is it stupidly shaped?

Aesthetically it's a bit Marmite-y but I didn't actually mind that. Just couldn't get on with the poor ergonomics, all down to fact that the bridge was so far from the bottom strap button. This added bulk/weight and shifted the fretboard further away from the player thereby negating two of the key s-s benefits. It also placed the bridge right underneath the fingers of the plucking hand.

The pic shows the original body below the bass Andy made using all the other Rascal parts. I asked him to re-body it a-la Precision Lyte and I think it works really well. - as does the re-shaped original body Andy used for the black bass. IMHO these are the Rascals that Fender SHOULD have made rather than taking the quirky 'form over function' route.

nFD1Qwul.jpg

Edited by scrumpymike
  • Like 3

7 minutes ago, scrumpymike said:

Aesthetically it's a bit Marmite-y but I didn't actually mind that. Just couldn't get on with the poor ergonomics, all down to fact that the bridge was so far from the bottom strap button. This added bulk/weight and shifted the fretboard further away from the player thereby negating two of the key s-s benefits. It also placed the bridge right underneath the fingers of the plucking hand.

The pic shows the original body below the bass Andy made using all the other Rascal parts. I asked him to re-body it a-la Precision Lyte and I think it works really well. - as does the re-shaped original body Andy used for the black bass.

IMHO these are the Rascals that Fender SHOULD have made rather than taking the quirky 'form over function' route.

Ah right yes I get what you mean. The Rascal I have I bought a few years ago after they were discontinued when walking into a shop just for a look and seeing it hanging there in mint condition for 400 quid which I thought was steal so couldn't resist it. Although I really like it it is a case of it probably being better looking than it is functional. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BetaFunk said:

Ah right yes I get what you mean. The Rascal I have I bought a few years ago after they were discontinued when walking into a shop just for a look and seeing it hanging there in mint condition for 400 quid which I thought was steal so couldn't resist it. Although I really like it it is a case of it probably being better looking than it is functional. 

£400 was a steal! At that price, you can afford to ask Andy to re-body it for you 😉 The Rascal neck is the best I've ever played.

• Like 2

On 18/01/2023 at 16:58, scrumpymike said:

Our Andyjr1515 built this to the same spec as my main gig bass (also built by Andy) as a backup. I've never had to use it in anger though as my other AR bass has been 100% reliable so I've decided to turn it into GAS vouchers 🙂.

Compact, lightweight and a one-off in design terms, this bass is in top condition. Strap balance is perfect and the fast, slim neck makes it a sweet player. Functionally it's hugely versatile thanks to the 3 'lippy' pickups plus 7-way switching* that allows all pickups to be selected individually or in any combination. Each position gives you a distinctly different, totally useable voice, and I use all 7 on gig bas number 1 to suit various numbers in our covers band.

Price includes a mint Gator shell case and a white-pearloid scratch-plate alternative to the ebony one fitted if you want to bling things up a bit. Strings are virtually unused La Bella flats.

I'm happy to meet for mutually convenient handover within an hour's drive from Taunton or pack for shipment provided buyer arranges and pays for delivery.

* Via 5-way slider switch and push/pull volume knob

Rascal Lyte Mkll finished.jpg

Rascal Lyte Mkll finished2.jpg

Rascal Lyte Mkll finished3.jpg

Buy with confidence..Mike is a great BC'er" & what a build from Andy!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, scrumpymike said:

The pic shows the original body below the bass Andy made using all the other Rascal parts. I asked him to re-body it a-la Precision Lyte and I think it works really well. - as does the re-shaped original body Andy used for the black bass. IMHO these are the Rascals that Fender SHOULD have made rather than taking the quirky 'form over function' route.

nFD1Qwul.jpg

Totally agree and well done on the improvements. Beautiful bass

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
  • scrumpymike changed the title to SOLD Andy Rogers short-scale custom build