Why become a member? ×

PC interface help for beginner

ped

Hi guys

A friend of mine is looking at getting a bass. he already has some Vdrums.

We have chosen a bass (a Sire) and instead of an amp I've recommended that he gets a PC interface which he can use with some software and headphones, to play along with things and also feed his drums into the computer.

I don't know what to suggest because I'm on a Mac and haven't bought an interface for many years.

What would you suggest for a decent quality interface and what software would he need to use it?

Cheers

ped

Thanks, that was what I was thinking, but I didn't know if there was software bundled with the interface or anything. All I use is Garageband so never had to install recording software although I do have bad memories of trying to figure out Ableton ages ago

Will that mean my friend can play into the interface with headphones without needing to fire up software unless he wants to record? Like I do on my Mac, I just select it from the audio output menu and can play along with Spotify etc.

7 minutes ago, ped said:

Will that mean my friend can play into the interface with headphones without needing to fire up software unless he wants to record? Like I do on my Mac, I just select it from the audio output menu and can play along with Spotify etc.

I've never actually tried it.

I suspect there must be a way.

I'll give it a go when I get the chance if no one can give you an answer in the meantime.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, ped said:

Thanks, that was what I was thinking, but I didn't know if there was software bundled with the interface or anything. All I use is Garageband so never had to install recording software although I do have bad memories of trying to figure out Ableton ages ago

I couldn't make head nor tail of Ableton before I went through the tutorials. It's definitely not a plug in and start recording scenario.

The easiest recording software I ever found for PC was Cakewalk, but it got discontinued a few years back. It might be possible to find an old CD copy on ebay, assuming your friend's PC/laptop has a CD drive.

Edited by Cato

10 minutes ago, ped said:

I use the scarlett 2i2.

you can switch on monitoring to hear yourself and play along but it will be a dry signal with no amp or effects.

I use a cuvave cube baby to play along,  with headphones. only £40 ish and it can load IR, and has amps and effect and also bluetooths music.

a positive grid spark would be a great all in one solution.

Usb interface and speaker all in one and comes with press us studio one software.

• Like 1

Focusrite Scarlett is great. I have had one for ages. If space is an issue, then the iRig HD 2 is brilliant for plug in and play stuff. It also comes with a version of Amplitube, which has very basic recording ability.  

I have the Scarlett 18i8 and the iRig HD 2. I think that the Scarlett series is far more flexible but the iRig is so damn handy for headphone use.

For recording, Studio One Artist is fairly intuitive IMO. I far prefer that to trying to put anything together on Pro Tools. There is Reaper too but I found the learning curve and customisability a bit off-putting though the customisability is actually helpful for those who figure it all out. 

For just jamming on a PC, I have a basic version of Bias Amps and Amplitube which I chop and change from. The tones on Bias are varied but some of the bass ones (notably the Orange and Ampeg SVT) models are pretty decent. For £40 I have found it to be decent value. I haven't splashed the cash on the Ampeg stuff on Amplitube as I find that my Sansamp plugged into the interface is good enough! 

• Like 1

I started with a Presonus Audiobox 96 - 2 inputs and bundled with a full version of their Studio 1 software, which came with very usable plug-ins for effects. I'm still using the software and although I upgraded to a Behringer UMC for the 8 inputs, the Audiobox is still in use on my PC. 

• Like 2

IIRC you can use Amplitube as a standalone software processor without the need to faff around with a DAW which is only needed if you want to record or add drums.

So a Scarlett Solo and free Amplitube is all you need.

I've used Focusrite's Scarlett Solo and 2i2 and both are excellent and would be ideal. I use Cakewalk for my DAW as it's free but has more functionality than Audacity (which is still good though), such as being able to use plugins to replicate effects so you can try them out before spending more money on pedals.

2 hours ago, TheLowDown said:

An alternative to an audio interface is a headphone amp like the VOX amPlug2 if he just wants to keep things simple for jamming along to rhythms.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/amPlug2-AP2-BS-Headphone-Amplifier-Rhythms/dp/B00NAUKJTY/ref=sr_1_6

Indeed, these are very handy and you can plug your MP3 player/phone into it (assuming your phone has an aux socket, which alas my current phone doesn't so my amPlug is gathering dust at the moment 😡).

• Like 1

Yeah, sounds like a Scarlett will do what you need @ped, for transparency I do indeed work for Focusrite and I’m only here because our products have already been mentioned.

Scarletts come with everything you need to record, including DAW’s, plugins etc.

If you get a 2i2, your friend would be able to connect the bass to input 1, and assuming that the vdrums have a single output, the drums to the second output. If the drums have multiple outputs, then you’d need to consider an interface with more channels perhaps.

Anyway, as also mentioned, it would be possible to also just use the interface to play along with Spotify, you monitor your signal direct from the Scarlett, so zero latency. You only introduce latency if/when you monitor your signal via a DAW, and you’d only do that if you’re recording (sometimes) or wanting to hear your signal through an amp sim/effects etc. I would argue that if they’re a beginner, they won’t beed all that and just a dry signal along to Spotify will be grand.

Any other questions, feel free to drop a PM.

Si

PC, USB to a Focusrite Scarlet 2i2, to powered monitors.  See my thread elsewhere about cabling.

The PC needs to be on as the Scarlet needs to be powered (you can't jack in an external power source).

Finally, Cakewalk (in its current form) is alive and well.  It's 100% free and available from bandlab.com.

4 hours ago, NancyJohnson said:

Finally, Cakewalk (in its current form) is alive and well.  It's 100% free and available from bandlab.com.

I discovered that yesterday after @asingardenofmentioned it.

I honestly thought Gibson had killed it off.

I downloaded the most recent version from bandlab.com last night and it's as simple to get started as I remembered.

Within a minute or two of opening it for the first time I was putting down tracks on the 4 track recorder. I'm going to have a proper go on the 32 track at the weekend.

If @ped's friend is looking for a free DAW they can download then start recording more or less immediately I'd say Cakewalk is a great option.

• Like 1

I started with a Focusrite and it was great.

He will be able to hear a di signal without launching software but it might be a bit uninspiring. There are actually tons of free VST / Amp sims out there these days. Some need to be run in a DAW or a shell, but others run without the DAW being launched.

TBH though he can set up a Practice project in a DAW and just do a click or 2 to launch that when he wants to play. If the VST is already loaded on a track - boom, he's in business. Doesn't have to record while the DAW is open.

Reaper is a very powerful DAW that has an infinitely renewable demo period, but is only about £60 anyway. Very easy to use and YT is full of demoes and tutorials.

3 minutes ago, fretmeister said:

IHe will be able to hear a di signal without launching software but it might be a bit uninspiring. There are actually tons of free VST / Amp sims out there these days. Some need to be run in a DAW or a shell, but others run without the DAW being launched.

Indeed, I have  Gallien Krueger amp sim which can be run in a DAW or as a standalone app.

Taking a slightly different approach, some multi-fx's and preamp pedals will act as digital interfaces (plus some will have a headphone out) so if he wanted to get a more versatile and interesting setup without getting involved with DAW software, that could be an option. You can probably pick a reasonable multi-fx second hand for the price of the Scarlett interface.