Why become a member? ×

PC interface help for beginner

ped

Thanks yeah I did wonder about a multi fx unit, that's what I do myself and whilst I won't recommend he spends money on a Roland VB99, I think a Stomp or similar would be great - I think recording and using the computer might be last on the list of requirements after being able to hear the bass and play along with things. 

So - cheapest multi Fx with audio interface?

On 18/01/2023 at 14:46, TheLowDown said:

An alternative to an audio interface is a headphone amp like the VOX amPlug2 if he just wants to keep things simple for jamming along to rhythms.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/amPlug2-AP2-BS-Headphone-Amplifier-Rhythms/dp/B00NAUKJTY/ref=sr_1_6

Indeed, or the NUX Mighty Plug. It's actually supposed to act as a USB interface as well for recording.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/NUX-Mighty-Headphone-Amplifier-Bluetooth/dp/B08HR3XBZ2/ref=pd_lpo_1?pd_rd_w=cPfpX&content-id=amzn1.sym.2d229339-2f42-4596-a90d-b81a4f52d6d3&pf_rd_p=2d229339-2f42-4596-a90d-b81a4f52d6d3&pf_rd_r=AY4B1HK86P6WGVWTZ3AN&pd_rd_wg=bglyf&pd_rd_r=969bbeda-fae3-40f8-b221-1d4fa153e19f&pd_rd_i=B08HR3XBZ2&psc=1

• Like 1

If you want only to hear your live bass and prerecorded drums on your pc through headphone - you don't need usb and good pc. Just buy a 4 chanell mixer, connect with your bass, stereo input from pc output and plug your headphones. You will get your sound eq and all this will be analog way.

Edited by nilorius

I think something desk based would work best as he’s probably going to be at his computer when playing and it would be easier plugging into a device linked with the computer. I did think a mixer might be useful but I think that might complicate things at this stage. I have a NUX I could send him for starters though, good call. Didn’t realise that was an interface too. 

1 minute ago, ped said:

I think something desk based would work best as he’s probably going to be at his computer when playing and it would be easier plugging into a device linked with the computer. I did think a mixer might be useful but I think that might complicate things at this stage. I have a NUX I could send him for starters though, good call. Didn’t realise that was an interface too. 

I just don't understand why he wants usb interface - what for, if he will not going to use live monitoring and recording ?

Ok we have a plan. He’s buying a Sire V5 and I’m sending him my now redundant Nux plug (and some strings etc). When he’s ready to involve the computer we’ll tackle that later. He mostly plays his drums along with music so will prob do the same with the bass, and it sounds like the kids are taking over his home office so the portability and size are a definite bonus. Thanks for all the great advice chaps 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1