Why become a member? ×

Classic Bass No. 4

cytania

OK let's take it that the Fender Jazz and Precisions are fighting over the number 1 and 2 spots and that Rickenbacker fills number 3 in this chart. What's next?

I'm thinking basses real people played over the last half century, not prototypes and boutique beauties.

[quote name='cytania' post='471559' date='Apr 24 2009, 02:48 PM']OK let's take it that the Fender Jazz and Precisions are fighting over the number 1 and 2 spots and that Rickenbacker fills number 3 in this chart. What's next?

I'm thinking basses real people played over the last half century, not prototypes and boutique beauties.[/quote]

StingRay ?

[quote name='cytania' post='471559' date='Apr 24 2009, 02:48 PM']OK let's take it that the Fender Jazz and Precisions are fighting over the number 1 and 2 spots and that Rickenbacker fills number 3 in this chart. What's next?

I'm thinking basses real people played over the last half century, not prototypes and boutique beauties.[/quote]

Rickenbacker number 3?

[quote name='chris_b' post='471566' date='Apr 24 2009, 02:52 PM']Number 3 would be a Musicman Stingray, a Rickenbacher might scrape in at number 4 but fighting all the way with a Wal.[/quote]

Wal? Are you serious? How many people outside the bass community (or even in the bass community) would recognise a Wal...?

[quote name='alexclaber' post='471580' date='Apr 24 2009, 03:01 PM']3. StingRay
4. Rickenbacker

5. Alembic?

Alex[/quote]
I'd broadly agree with that in terms of use by bands. Alembics would probably trump Ricks in the studio given how popular they are in Nashville though.

[quote name='EBS_freak' post='471572' date='Apr 24 2009, 02:57 PM']Wal? Are you serious? How many people outside the bass community (or even in the bass community) would recognise a Wal...?[/quote]

How many people outside the bass community know the difference between a Jazz and a P?

[quote name='Lfalex v1.1' post='471671' date='Apr 24 2009, 04:28 PM']I suppose the initial question ought to be "what's the definition of classic?"[/quote]

Anything that's likely to prompt a flame war.

Here's my list:

1. Orig 51 Precision

2. Joint - post 57 P, Jazz and Stingray (on grounds that civilians wouldn't be able to tell them apart)

3. Rick

4. EB0 / EB3

5. T-Bird

Honourable mentions: Status, EB2, Hofner Violin, Shergold, Burns Tri-sonic, Dan Armstrong, Danelectro Longhorn

Edited by skankdelvar

[quote name='skankdelvar' post='471702' date='Apr 24 2009, 04:54 PM']Anything that's likely to prompt a flame war.

Here's my list:

1. Orig 51 Precision

2. Joint - post 57 P, Jazz and Stingray (on grounds that civilians wouldn't be able to tell them apart)

3. Rick

4. EB0 / EB3

5. T-Bird

Honourable mentions: Status, EB2, Hofner Violin, Shergold, Burns Tri-sonic, Dan Armstrong, Danelectro Longhorn[/quote]

+1
Very well put.

This'll teach me to start a thread on a Friday afternoon and then get caught up in work.

Stingray, has to be there of course. Why didn't I think of it? Probably because it arrived 1976 and probably took a few years to get going. Wouldn't have made it into the seconds pile punk and post-punk drew from... (my bedrock music)

Hofner is the look thing I guess. One I picked up last year was awful and the sound is stuck in the sixties...

Thunderbird, could be. Did the originals sound as good as recent issues? I always think of the tone as like a ball bearing shot from a steel cable catapult. Kapling!

Then of course isn't the FenderBird an inditement, saying 'Nice pickups, cool body shape, shame about the neck profile'?

Edited by cytania