Why become a member? ×

Blinding Lights electro-pop song done reggae style = confused audience? Opinions, please.

solo4652

I've recently joined a nascent pub covers band doing pop, soft rock, soul, funk. One song suggestion is to do Blinding lights by The Weekend in reggae style. I didn't know the song, but quickly discovered the original is an electro-pop number released in 2019, topping American charts for many weeks. Here's a reggae version:

I rather like that reggae version and would look forward to giving it a go. However, I'm wondering how well it would be received down at the Dog and Duck, given that it's pretty different from the original. Would it confuse an audience, do you think? Better to leave well alone, do you think?

• Like 1

I'd say it depends what your audience usually is in the Dog & Ducks you're playing in; the original style would maybe appeal to the teens and 20-somethings in there, but how many of those are there? Would they go for a reggae cover? I dunno... I'd think the over-30s (or over-40s/50s, etc) wouldn't know it from a hole in the ground as anything more than an obscure reggae number...there again, if you've a reggae crowd, they might not know the original but enjoy a bit of reggae.

The places I play, I think blank looks on both fronts would be the result, but then again that's just the Dog & Duck circuit I'm in...

We (covers band) do it in a fairly straight ahead rock style and it goes down pretty well.

How well a complete change of style/genre would go down really depends on your audience. I personally think that unless there's a famous cover of it in the new style/genre then I wouldn't bother.

Additional - the opposite is true of my originals band - we have a style so if we cover a song, we do it as us.  Guitar-based songs without guitars?  The few people who know us know what to expect :D

Edited by neepheid

And Post Modern Juke Box have made a living from retro-covering songs. Modern song, covered as if it was originally done in the 50s or the 30s.

It can be fun to do - and as Nigel Kennedy once said at a performance of Vivaldi's Four Seasons, if you want to hear the original, buy the record.

Edited by bass_dinger
Post Modern Duke Box?? Juke!! Juke, man.
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Aidan63 said:

Isn't the melody a rip off/sample of something from the 80s  in the first place

It's very 80s in style - the Simmons drums, the DX7-style synth... it's like the theme tune from some American 1980s cop show. :D Which is OK by me. Grew up on that sort of stuff. 

• Like 2

18 hours ago, solo4652 said:

I've recently joined a nascent pub covers band doing pop, soft rock, soul, funk. One song suggestion is to do Blinding lights by The Weekend in reggae style. I didn't know the song, but quickly discovered the original is an electro-pop number released in 2019, topping American charts for many weeks. Here's a reggae version:

I rather like that reggae version and would look forward to giving it a go. However, I'm wondering how well it would be received down at the Dog and Duck, given that it's pretty different from the original. Would it confuse an audience, do you think? Better to leave well alone, do you think?

I think it's OK for the opening set but I think as always it will depend on the delivery.

I really like the original and I like that reggae version equally. As I see it what % of Dog & Duck punters would know a Weeknd tune if it smacked them in the kisser? From what I see of your average Dog & Duck patron, probably less than 10%. Now, if you were to play in a student bar/venue then you'd be quids in. Fraid I don't care for that Feuerschwanz cover though.

Edited by Barking Spiders
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, fleabag said:

Just what I was thinking. If you're not a reggae band, or Dread Zep, you should not attempt reggae. 

My band plays Blinding Lights "straight" probably every gig. Is an ok song that most punters recognise but I don't think it's the one they're humming in the taxi home. You can play around with the baseline a lot though, so it's ok from a bassist point of view.

11 minutes ago, fleabag said:

Indeed, but these guys are just a pizz take. But damn good.  I've had the Un-Led-ED CD  for  nearly 30 years.

Performing the songs of Led Zeppelin in a reggae style and sung by a Las Vegas Elvis impersonator

That's the thing, you've got to be damn good to do that! Loved them for twenty or so years since someone played me them doing Immigrant Song. Same guy first played me Frank Zappa too. 

• Like 1