Why become a member? ×

Newcastle

Bluewine

There's quite a long wikipedia article on the term 'Geordie'.

The short version is that the earliest recorded use of the term seems to be applied to miners from the Newcastle area.

There's no universally agreed on explanation of where it comes from but one candidate is that it stems from 19th Century miners from that area prefering the 'Geordie' lamp designed by George Stephenson to the Davey Lamps more widely used in other parts of the country.

Edited by Cato
  • Like 1

On 08/01/2023 at 07:49, Geek99 said:

@Bluewineis of the American persuasion and so may not yet fully understand the joys of ground-up cheap belly pork in puff pastry served in a paper bag 

Back in Jersey we had Jimmy Buffs. A pastry pocket stuffed with fried sausage, potatoes, onions abd green pepper. Believe it or not. also served in a greasy brown paper bag. Delicious !

Blue

• Like 2

On 08/01/2023 at 10:50, yorks5stringer said:

It's reasonable to assume that Greegs would not make a 'Vegan Sausage Roll' with animal fats in the pastry but hydrogenated veg fat. However I understand the sausage bit is Quorn which contains egg whites and is thus not Vegan anyway.

Ok guys, does this look even close. This is what we have. However, only found in New Jersey.

A Jimmy Buffs Sausage and Potato Sandwich.

Blue

FB_IMG_1673562658579.jpg

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Bluewine said:

Back in Jersey we had Jimmy Buffs. A pastry pocket stuffed with fried sausage, potatoes, onions abd green pepper. Believe it or not. also served in a greasy brown paper bag. Delicious !

Blue

You’re there, dude. Book that ticket right now 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, YouMa said:

I'm from Wylam where George Stephenson was born the Geordie name comes from the connection with him and a type of mining lamp.

I've lived in Wylam for nearly fifteen years now. Who pays for that printed village newsletter that comes through the door? I've often wondered.

Funny as I grew up in North Tyneside/Newcastle but had never heard of Wylam until I was about 18. Most of the people I work with think I live somewhere near the moon as they've never heard of it either. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Chris2112 said:

I've lived in Wylam for nearly fifteen years now. Who pays for that printed village newsletter that comes through the door? I've often wondered.

Funny as I grew up in North Tyneside/Newcastle but had never heard of Wylam until I was about 18. Most of the people I work with think I live somewhere near the moon as they've never heard of it either. 

You mean The Globe. Not sure mate but I have been in it when I dressed up as the Incredible Hulk for the Summer fair in 1985.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, YouMa said:

You mean The Globe. Not sure mate but I have been in it when I dressed up as the Incredible Hulk for the Summer fair in 1985.

Yes, it's full of shite these days. Nothing newsworthy for years now. 

Having just returned to the area after a trip to Hemel Hempstead and and London last week, I still regard Newcastle as a bit of a dump but still a decent place, about as good as it gets the in the UK. I was glad to be back. 

• Like 1

My Newcastle stories. . . .

It's the only place in the UK where, after asking directions, we had to drive around the corner and ask again. None of us understood a word!

After a gig we were looking for the road out of town. It was late and we stopped at a bus stop to ask a guy the way. He opened the passenger door, pushed in and started giving us directions. We drove the cheeky sod to his front door!! Then he told us how to get to the motorway.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, chris_b said:

My Newcastle stories. . . .

It's the only place in the UK where, after asking directions, we had to drive around the corner and ask again. None of us understood a word!

After a gig we were looking for the road out of town. It was late and we stopped at a bus stop to ask a guy the way. He opened the passenger door, pushed in and started giving us directions. We drove the cheeky sod to his front door!! Then he told us how to get to the motorway.

Haha when I was a kid north of the Tyne, we did a gig in the deep south .... Jarrow. Me dad who was driving us did the exact same thing. Picked up a complete stranger, dropped him off at his destination and then took directions from him to the venue. Its definitely a thing up there!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Huge Hands said:

That stupid "roundabout within 6 roundabouts" or whatever it is was enough for me when I last visited Hemel....

High Wycombe's got one of those. several small roundabouts around a larger one. I always hold my breath when I'm negotiating that one.