Why become a member? ×

Jools Holland Hootananny!

theplumber

25 minutes ago, jimmyb625 said:

George Ezra - "Rubbish! He's just swallowing his microphone and it's incomprehensible"

Andy Fairweather-Low - "what's that stupid old man doing? Why's he there?"

Gabrielle - "Why has she got that stupid haircut? This is awful."

(Stupid is an oft used description in this particular household)

Still, at least we've been allowed to have the volume back, as it was muted for about 10 minutes.

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, jimmyb625 said:

We're with the in-laws. So far everything has been "just awful". Poor old Sam Fender on Beeb 1 was also talentless apparently.

🙄

Yes We watched a bit of that before the fireworks, It was pretty dire

Edited by lonestar

56 minutes ago, theplumber said:

Whats up with Rolands eyes?

He's 40 years older and has ill-advisedly put eye shadow on the bags under his eyes.

What I found frightening is that I remembered the lyrics to "You to me are everything" despite the fact I disliked it at the time, and time has done nothing to change that. Gabrielle sounded rather ropey - she was singing in tune but the tune wasn't what it once was. George Ezra was neither country nor Western, whatever Jools might have said. I liked Cat Burns though (and a nice F bass her bassist was playing).

• Like 2

Fair do’s to that young bird with the funny hair cut, she’s got a set of lungs on her…..

(self esteem) 

the real thing, enjoyed the guy playing bass for them, quite a groove …

(i am a tad biased being a scouser)….

enjoyed the chap playing jazz rag guitar with the bird uk the duff singing…. He had a nice touch..

but if I never see ruby turner again it will be too soon…..

and yes, Jim Muir is the rather dull alter ego to the once hilarious vic reeves….

Edited by Wonky2
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, tauzero said:

We wondered if he'd had a mild stroke or Bell's Palsy.

Andy's wife is dealing with terminal illness at the moment, touring all cancelled and a very stressful time. May have a part to play! 

Edited by knicknack
  • Like 2
  • Sad 2

An update on my eschewing the Hootenanny for Radio Scotland and Get It On. New tradition started here, definitely doing that again. Yes, there were a couple of Jimmy Shand and Andy Stewart moments (😖) but it was mostly ace. The tunes coupled with the hosts was a great way to while the time away until 'the bongs' (30 seconds late, but that's streaming for you). Full disclosure, I also listen to Get It On during the week, so this was a bit of a no brainer really. The Hootenanny is such a tired formula that rarely springs any surprises, I'm surprised I stuck with it for so long but, then again, NYE TV is pretty bloody dire all round. Radio, the way of the future.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Wonky2 said:

Fair do’s to that young bird with the funny hair cut, she’s got a set of lungs on her…..

(self esteem) 

the real thing, enjoyed the guy playing bass for them, quite a groove …

(i am a tad biased being a scouser)….

enjoyed the chap playing jazz rag guitar with the bird uk the duff singing…. He had a nice touch..

but if I never see ruby turner again it will be too soon…..

and yes, Jim Muir is the rather dull alter ego to the once hilarious vic reeves….

Bird?

• Like 2

11 hours ago, tauzero said:

He's 40 years older and has ill-advisedly put eye shadow on the bags under his eyes.

What I found frightening is that I remembered the lyrics to "You to me are everything" despite the fact I disliked it at the time, and time has done nothing to change that. Gabrielle sounded rather ropey - she was singing in tune but the tune wasn't what it once was. George Ezra was neither country nor Western, whatever Jools might have said. I liked Cat Burns though (and a nice F bass her bassist was playing).

The bassist was possibly the most enthusiastic person at the whole event. I agree that Cat Burns was the highlight, but we lasted until about 12.04 before sacking it off and going to bed.

I saved myself the task of fast forwarding a recording of it by not bothering to save it. Job done!

As a slight aside, does anyone remember the start sequence to "Later' which seemed to show Jools sat on a model train?  Was watching something on YT and they were at the Hornby Factory train layout  and it looked just like the Later title sequence. Apparently Jools is a model train enthusiast

Edited by yorks5stringer