Why become a member? ×

2022: basses bought minus basses sold equals.....

Munurmunuh

In, 

Kimbara Ripper copy

90s Encore P copy

Yamaha BEX4 

HB Telecaster + Retrovibe neck (for a bass project) 

Eastwood Hooky Pro 6

Yamaha BB734A 

Yamaha BB1100S fretless 

Warwick Rockbass Starbass 

Ashdown Saint 

Out, 

Yamaha BB1024X 

9 - 1 = 8 (there, are you happy now 😉

I am looking to sell some next year, honest. 😏

Edited by Maude
Didn't do my sums
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

Bought 10

Stagg EUB

Sire V5

Sire V7

Ibanez GSR205b

Harley Benton HBZ2005

Harley Benton JB75fl

Squier Affinity PJ (twice)

Squier P Made in China in 2008

Squier P Affinity made in Indonesia in 2000

Sold 5:

Cort B4fl

Sire V5

Ibanez GSR205b

Harley Benton HBZ2005

Harley Benton JB75fl

Returned 3:

Stagg EUB

Sire V7

One Squier Affinity PJ

Balance: +2

7 minutes ago, Ricky Rioli said:

It hadn't occurred to me consider bought-and-returned as worthy of being mentioned - for me it's just a sale that hasn't completed. I did it twice in 2022, not a figure I'm very proud of, tbh, but necessary as, too my dismay, neither was right for me.

There's no shame in that - I'd say it's actually laudable to stick to your guns, having the courage in your convictions and sending it back instead of meekly accepting that it'll not get played much, it languishing around the house until you can't stand the nagging feeling that you've been a bit of a fool any more then flogging it later.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Ricky Rioli said:

It hadn't occurred to me consider bought-and-returned as worthy of being mentioned - for me it's just a sale that hasn't completed. I did it twice in 2022, not a figure I'm very proud of, tbh, but necessary as, too my dismay, neither was right for me.

Well, for me these were meaningful events in that I learned from them (one of the things learned was that post-sale assistance is better provided by Thomann from Germany than by one popular shop here in London). To be fair, in all three situation I would have kept the bass or EUB had they not been defective (the Stagg had a unusable lumpy neck, a knob in the Sire was not working and the height of a pickup could not be adjusted, the PJ did not have a fully functioning truss rod). Still, sometimes having to return a defective instrument is an opportunity to reconsider whether GAS was fully justified

Bought 3, including a Harley Benton which may be the cheapest bass I've ever owned. Just.

Paid for 1, a Warwick with an ETA of early 2024, which will easily be the most expensive.

Sold 9, plus a stupidly heavy valve head, a load of empty cases I was tripping over and some studio bits.

I don't know if that's legally -6 until the order arrives, or morally only -5.

I'm actively thinning things down, though, so there's at least one more bass to go, and further review of amps, cabs and pedals.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Ed_S said:

don't know if that's legally -6 until the order arrives, or morally only -5.

Yeah I can't work that one out either. I ordered one in March, paid for it in August, thinking it was about to be finished, and am still awaiting it. I decided not to include it on the grounds that as soon as it arrives I'll be selling my Matt Freeman P.

If it's bought and paid for in the given year then it counts for that year. 

Well that's the abstinence thread rules. Which on the bright side means if you paid for it this year but won't receive it until next, then you're safe for next year's abstinence thread. 

34 minutes ago, Maude said:

If it's bought and paid for in the given year then it counts for that year. 

Well that's the abstinence thread rules. Which on the bright side means if you paid for it this year but won't receive it until next, then you're safe for next year's abstinence thread. 

Nah, I think the best I could ever hope for is some kind of break-even where I only spend money from sales of existing stuff on new stuff.