Why become a member? ×

Schroeder, Bergantino

truegeminis

As many people, I have made the decision that I'm tired of carrying around big heavy gear between home and car, car and venue and back again.

I made the leap with respect to my amp and purchased a Markbass F1 from Mark at Bass Direct who very kindly let me play through the variety of Bergantino cabs he had and by the end of the afternoon I'd sort of settled on the AE112.

My other option was the Schroeder 1212L which I tried in the Bass Gallery.

My only reservation on the Bergantino's is that most people seem to use 2 1x12's and my budget would only run to one for the foreseeable future. (At least until I can convince the missus that spending £6-700 on another cab is justified!)

Can anybody who already uses these cabs tell me/reassure me that a Berg 1x12 would be sufficient for most gigs? I play in a couple of function bands and a 6-piece ska band (2 guitars, drums, bass, sax and trumpet). I'd say that the majority of gigs I do have the bass D.I.'d, but just in case I want a cab that is going to cope.

I think I just need a bit of reassurance before ditching the heavy 4x10.

Also, the schroeder has the tilted speaker which I'm sure helps when using it as an on stage monitor (if stood on its side), but what's the best solution if using just a 1x12?

Any opinions, experiences are greatly appreciated.

I don't think an AE112, as good as it is, will be enough to replace a 4x10, unless your bands are very quiet or you go through the PA as well. Another AE112 or an AE210 would cover every situation you'll ever face.

Edit: Just reread your post!! As a personal monitor the AE112 should be great.

Edited by chris_b

my shuttle 6.0 and one Neox was more than enough for my church band and i used it for an outdoor event. the church band is Piano, sax, volin and 2 guitars, no drums though and in both cases the master never went over 11. One efficent 12" can do quite alot :)

You might want to take a look at Alex's [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showforum=73"]Barefaced[/url] cabinets too, the people who have them seem to hold them in high regards and they seem to be marketed as capable 4x10 replacements.

[quote name='truegeminis' post='470613' date='Apr 23 2009, 12:37 PM']Can anybody who already uses these cabs tell me/reassure me that a Berg 1x12 would be sufficient for most gigs? I play in a couple of function bands and a 6-piece ska band (2 guitars, drums, bass, sax and trumpet). I'd say that the majority of gigs I do have the bass D.I.'d, but just in case I want a cab that is going to cope.

Any opinions, experiences are greatly appreciated.[/quote]

Hi, I use 2 Berg 1 X 12 cabs with a Mark Bass F1 head. I play in a pretty loud Rock band most of the time and I would not leave the house without both cabs. That said I'm often just using backline.

I did however use just the one cab on a function the other day and it was fine in terms of volume.

I've never tried just one cab when using the house monitors, but I suspect it'd be fine

Depending on how loud the Ska band is I think you could probably get away with one cab but the headroom you get with both cabs is excellent.

I must say that I've not tried the Schroeder cabs but the F1 / Berg combination is the best compact rig I've ever played through.

Hope that helps

I'd like to know the outcome of this. Also, what in reality does Berg make that competes against a full weight normal 4x10?

Im thinking of getting a lightweight rig as well as my normal rig. Definitely getting the lightweight head, but Id like to know what Berg would match a 4x10......or indeed what matches an 8x10. I mean in terms of sheer air movement etc. I cannot see how 2 1x12s do the same....but im probably in the dark about it.

Thanks!

[quote name='Musicman20' post='473659' date='Apr 27 2009, 08:09 PM']Also, what in reality does Berg make that competes against a full weight normal 4x10?[/quote]

Well the ae410 is a [b]tiny[/b] 410 that blows all the rest I've ever heard away IMO. Not heavy for a 410 either, and incredibly compact.

A pair of ae112s will keep up with a 410 in reality I think (haven't actually a/b'ed at a gig myself)

A pair of ae210s more than = an ae410 (slightly deeper sound apparently, I have a/b'ed them with an ae410 and its a tiny difference IMO)

The HT112ER mini stack is pretty much equal to the ae112 ministack - if not a bit more depth and that non-neo thing going on

Oh and the HT210 is spectacular for a 210, its not up to a high end 410, but its the best 210 I've ever heard. Really would love to get the HT115 to put underneath it!

[quote name='Musicman20' post='473659' date='Apr 27 2009, 08:09 PM']Also, what in reality does Berg make that competes against a full weight normal 4x10?[/quote]

Just as Simon said the AE410 competes extremely well with full weight 4x10"s - in fact I'd bet on it being almost as loud as two cheaper heavyweight 4x10"s in some cases. Most lightweight cabs are using the latest in bass guitar loudspeakers and in the vast majority of cases these new models can move more air than the older heavy magnet speakers. Choose the right lightweight cab and you could get the same output from half the cone area and a third or quarter the weight of your old cabs!

Alex

I use a LMII & recently got an AE112- am AMAZED at the power of the AE112... I have an Aguilar GS112 also & the BErg is MUCH louder & just as good if not better tonally.
For what U R doing ONE AE112 MAY just do it- it IS a LOUD (& light) 112, & if U R going thru the FOH PA then NO worries. But 2 of the AE112's & U got a rig that'll handle almost ANYTHING!!! The Berg AE112 is so nice I'm gonna sell the GS112-even tho together they sound nice, but the Bergie is just drowning it out.

MUSICMAN 20 Berg make MANY-well a couple of 410's IIRC, but the NV610 Bergantino is IMO the BEST 610 out there & as far as I've tested beats ANY 810's also. Apparently it was designed to sound like the OLD Ampeg 810 straightback cab, & since I know of No-one with one of those I cant compare, but I DID A/B test the NV610 with a (modern)Ampeg SVT810E & the NV610 KILLED it - TOTALLY!!!!! tone, handled more volume, lighter, smaller, easier to transport, lift....................etc... No comparison IMO!!
AND as I used to own an Ampeg SVT410HLF cab I can compare it to that too- again NO comparison. The SVT410HLF was Heavier & harder to move about, didn't sound as clear or articulate, {but still the Berg sounded more 'vintage' (?)} Ampeg410 was heavier than the NV610 also!!!!!!
BUT if U R after a light 410 the AE410 looks pretty good to me!
Yeah I like Berg. cabs, but only coz they've proven themselves to me!

• 3 weeks later...

Just an update. After swapping messages with WoT and some further thinking I'm going to go for Bergantinos. Just have to keep saving for a second one (if necessary).

The fact that Mark at BassDirect is such a pleasure to deal with helps too.

Edited by truegeminis

I use a LMII with a Berg AE112 and my intention was to add in the 2nd cab at a later date. I haven't needed to and I've had this rig for about a year now playing pubs and the occasional function. If I ever did need more I could always DI it but I've not had to do that either. One AE112 operating close to the max puts out a hell of a volume.

I'd say go for the Berg and if you find yourself having to DI often then that's your cue to add a second. However I think you'll be surprised at home much you can get done with just the one.

+1 for Bass Direct though, just the sort of company you want to deal with

[quote name='truegeminis' post='491863' date='May 18 2009, 09:09 PM']Just an update. After swapping messages with WoT and some further thinking I'm going to go for Bergantinos. Just have to keep saving for a second one (if necessary).

The fact that Mark at BassDirect is such a pleasure to deal with helps too.[/quote]

I had a feeling you'd be persuaded by all the positive waves man :)

I'm positive you wont be disappointed at all.

[quote name='51m0n' post='492492' date='May 19 2009, 04:44 PM']I had a feeling you'd be persuaded by all the positive waves man :rolleyes:

I'm positive you wont be disappointed at all.[/quote]

I know. I tried the Bergs out at Bass Direct last month when I bought a new amp. I really liked them but just couldn't bring myself to part with all that money at once. Plus I was all set on the Schroeder 1212L until I'd tried the Bergs so I had to take some time and advice from everyone here just to confirm I was making the right choice. :)

[quote name='truegeminis' post='494228' date='May 21 2009, 01:41 PM']I know. I tried the Bergs out at Bass Direct last month when I bought a new amp. I really liked them but just couldn't bring myself to part with all that money at once. Plus I was all set on the Schroeder 1212L until I'd tried the Bergs so I had to take some time and advice from everyone here just to confirm I was making the right choice. :)[/quote]

Ha ha, another one succumbs to Marks outlandish sales technique of letting you try out amazing gear until you cant live without it :rolleyes:

Congratulations mate, I really hope its everything you need, at least until you can save enough for the second ae112!

Enjoy it :lol:

• 3 weeks later...