Why become a member? ×

50s style P bass, single coil, tele headstock. Any lightweight, non-slab ones?

Paul S

7 hours ago, Paul S said:

I was wondering if there were any that fitted the bill.  Superficially looking like a 50s but lightweight with an arm contour.  Just curious :) 

Muchas gracias

Squier Classic Vibe? Although I'm not sure about weight; I had the old Chinese white-blonde one and it weighed a bloody ton.

• Thanks 1

Yes, I believe that is the thing with these - quite a lump.  I wonder about the MIJ Fender versions.

The  Bach ones Davie suggested might be getting stock in the new year but the guy who answered my email said shipping costs into the Uk now are crazy high.  

Still, I am not exactly down to my last bass so am in no hurry.

6 hours ago, Paul S said:

Have you dealt with them or even own one?

Limited dealings with them.

There was a £20 difference paying in Czech crowns to paying in euros , when I questioned it there was some talk of them using a different exchange rate. Work around would be invoiced for crowns 🙂

Requested invoice was never sent 🤔

Next attempt was to buy a bundle of necks in a blow out sale, "we prefer to sell parts locally" was the response.

Asked Czech fella at work what he thought the deal was, Jan reckoned they were getting shafted over currency rates and looking at ways to deter UK business.

Plan then was I'd get Jan to do the order but his sister became terminally ill so he returned home; poor bugger ☹️  

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Paul S said:

Thanks Davie.  Now they look very interesting, although the one I would be most interested in is out of stock.  Have you dealt with them or even own one?

I bought a 5 string Telebass one quite a few years ago but returned it as the build quality was not good and there were a number of minor blemishes too. I believe they import the bodies and maybe necks from Asia and assemble them in Czech Republic. I seem to remember there was something wrong with the bridge too.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, yorks5stringer said:

I bought a 5 string Telebass one quite a few years ago but returned it as the build quality was not good and there were a number of minor blemishes too. I believe they import the bodies and maybe necks from Asia and assemble them in Czech Republic. I seem to remember there was something wrong with the bridge too.

I remember looking at the 5 string versions online around the same time and even the website shots looked pretty poor in terms of dodgy finish and weird gaps.  I was about to pull the trigger on one too but then backed out.  Glad I did by the sounds of things!

Edited by Huge Hands

Oh well, Bach to the drawing board :)  

Looks like it is the '54 P bass body I am after, didn't realise the distinction until I did a bit of reading this afternoon.  I guess I could always put a bitsa together - looks like lightweight bodies are available.  Sell a couple of basses to fund it, maybe.  :scratch_one-s_head:  

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Paul S said:

I guess I could always put a bitsa together

It's the best way .

Get yourself up the merchants. Dressed 5x2 pine will cost £25, that's a 4.2M length and enough for 3 bodies 🙂 

I've templates so it's no trouble to run another one off. Plenty of pickups out there for small money. 

It's a doddle 👍

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, kodiakblair said:

It's the best way .

Get yourself up the merchants. Dressed 5x2 pine will cost £25, that's a 4.2M length and enough for 3 bodies 🙂 

I've templates so it's no trouble to run another one off. Plenty of pickups out there for small money. 

It's a doddle 👍

I am sure it's a doddle if you have the skill, tools and steady hands!  I am sadly lacking in all those departments  :lol:

But - it looks like there are off-the peg lightweight bodies to be had.  I can't work wood but can screw things together :)  

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 23/11/2022 at 16:44, Paul S said:

Yes, I believe that is the thing with these - quite a lump.  I wonder about the MIJ Fender versions.

The  Bach ones Davie suggested might be getting stock in the new year but the guy who answered my email said shipping costs into the Uk now are crazy high.  

Still, I am not exactly down to my last bass so am in no hurry.

I think the MIJ Fenders are a slab. I can't say for sure, but this looks like a slab to me.......

https://www.fenderfever.com/bass/fender-mij-traditional-original-50s-precision-bass-2022-butterscotch-blonde-1

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Bassfinger said:

Were it not a moot point now I would have suggested the Squier Classic Vibe 50's Precision. Single coil, transition shape, not too weighty, sounds very convincing, and very pretty with the vintage tinted neck finish.

I looked at these, and the HB PB-50, but both are too weighty for my fragile back, sadly.  This one is under 8lbs (hopefully). :)   

• Like 1