Why become a member? ×

Pickup replacement - cost?

TheGreek

21 hours ago, Paul S said:

terminal-block_LRG.jpg.webp

My hands shake too much to do any soldering but something like this works just fine.

If you have the space for this then also look at WAGO lever type electrical connectors. Don't even need a screwdriver - just wire cut / strip.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, rmorris said:

If you have the space for this then also look at WAGO lever type electrical connectors. Don't even need a screwdriver - just wire cut / strip.

I used some little push/pull connectors when I hardwired my East preamps, way easier than screwing into a Lego style block.  

Wago connectors are fantastic, it has to be said.  I've never considered using them in a guitar application.  I've got to put a humbucker into a guitar later this week.  Top tip!

2 minutes ago, NancyJohnson said:

I used some little push/pull connectors when I hardwired my East preamps, way easier than screwing into a Lego style block.  

Wago connectors are fantastic, it has to be said.  I've never considered using them in a guitar application.  I've got to put a humbucker into a guitar later this week.  Top tip!

Yes. It's always worth a look at what's available from the electrical trade. Space can be an issue obvs and compatibility with stranded wire depending on the connector. Although you can use ferrules or just "solder it solid" as best suits in those cases. No need to worry about a n IEC compliance inspection 🙂

3 hours ago, rmorris said:

Yes. It's always worth a look at what's available from the electrical trade. Space can be an issue obvs and compatibility with stranded wire depending on the connector. Although you can use ferrules or just "solder it solid" as best suits in those cases. No need to worry about a n IEC compliance inspection 🙂

Brief update.  I just installed a Tonerider Generator humbucker in the bridge position on an Epiphone Phantomatic...there just wasn't the space for two Wago connectors in the cavity, so I ended up going the old route and using the same connectors I'd used to install the John East preamps.  They're on Amazon (https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B06WGM9W7S/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1).  They're like £7 for 20 pairs.

71jEaWmyuiL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

• Like 2