Why become a member? ×

Thomann Tease

stewblack

6 hours ago, Woodinblack said:

That is what I would expect from HB sadly

Not me. Only one HB of all my collection is heavy. I'm surprised. Still he's a man pretending he's a lobster, we don't really need to pay too much attention to him.

Edited by stewblack
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, stewblack said:

Still he's a man pretending he's a lobster, we don't really need to pay too much attention to him.

Obviously not much - i don't watch hist stuff because of the lobster thing (and the fast chopping breaks between the sentances), I was just referring to the weight - as much as I don't like the gimmicks or the voice, I believe him if he says it is 10.4lb

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Woodinblack said:

Obviously not much - i don't watch hist stuff because of the lobster thing (and the fast chopping breaks between the sentances), I was just referring to the weight - as much as I don't like the gimmicks or the voice, I believe him if he says it is 10.4lb

But he's a lobster

• Haha 1

Any way all silliness aside I was responding to the suggestion that you weren't surprised it was heavy because it's a Harley Benton.

One heavy bass out of a collection of 12 doesn't seem heavy to me was my point. 

If this one is a lump it'll be a shame but not what I expected.

But he's a lobster

Thats what he says, but frankly I am not convinced. I don't think lobsters sound like that.

Any way all silliness aside I was responding to the suggestion that you weren't surprised it was heavy because it's a Harley Benton.

Got it, but my collection of HB basses is 2, and 2 others that I have played, and they were all chonks. 

They were all pretty good though, I must say. But already a bit over booked with basses.

Think my HB count went to 16.

Out of those only the 2 JB-75 and BZ-4000 could be classed as 'heavy' ; over 9.5lbs.

These new models don't have ash bodies but Poplar is not particularly light nor is Nepalese Alder ; using either for a large bodied bass like a Jazz won't result in a lightweight bass.

If folks want a Jazz under 10lbs look elsewhere.

• Sad 1

14 hours ago, stewblack said:

If this one is a lump it'll be a shame but not what I expected.

I think Jazz style basses tend to be heavier purely because their bodies are pretty big.

Between my girlfriend and I we own 4 HB basses. With regards to weight, the Precision is average -not heavy-, the 5-string Stingray style is quite light, the 5-string JJ55OP is average and the 5-string JP55OP is pretty light (I think it was 8.6 lbs, mayeb less, I can't recall).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mcnach said:

I think Jazz style basses tend to be heavier purely because their bodies are pretty big.

Between my girlfriend and I we own 4 HB basses. With regards to weight, the Precision is average -not heavy-, the 5-string Stingray style is quite light, the 5-string JJ55OP is average and the 5-string JP55OP is pretty light (I think it was 8.6 lbs, mayeb less, I can't recall).

This is one of the reasons I decided to buy my G&L Tribute JB2 last year. Jazz bass with a precision shape body. I only found out about it when I was looking for a light, inexpensive bass and found it listed on Bass Direct's lightweight basses page.