Why become a member? ×

Thomann Tease

stewblack

25 minutes ago, PaulThePlug said:

deco? meaning?...

'Decoration only- unplayable'

Instead of returning batches of QC fails Thomann would sell the instruments as ornaments 🙂

They went for pennies, I bought a 4 string acoustic bass for £30; it's QC fail was the label saying " 5 string fretless" 😀 It was common to see deco listed on eBay as 'new' for full price, a small "D" stamped into the body and neck put paid to that deception.

The deco fad lasted for a wee while then the factories tightened up standards, the few that get through now wind up in Thomann's summer flea market day. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Ralf1e said:

Sorry if this offends but look at Crimson Guitars and see how he  worked out the weight prob for his daughter.

Bored holes in it using common tools we can buy for our drills. Punched it full of holes job done. But then it will neck dive on you.

Shave the neck oops not so easy but that will need to be done as well.

Saw a video yesterday about these compared to a Squier CV and a Mex Jazz. It was quoted as being too thick.

Sound good they all did. Just glad I bought a Squier 70's CV at the weekend not one of the others.

Can't speak for anyone else but I don't see anything offensive in that. The Jazz is the only HB bass I've ever had that was too heavy. However if he took out so much wood he made it neck dive that's on him!

Edited by stewblack
  • Like 1

On 12/10/2022 at 18:54, paul_c2 said:

Sell a bass to pay for the repairs?

Oh sorry, have I said something I shouldn't have, accidentally......

Yes …. Those are the words that Stewblack, much like the Knights who say Nii! Must not hear !

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Ralf1e said:

Sorry if this offends but look at Crimson Guitars and see how he  worked out the weight prob for his daughter.

Bored holes in it using common tools we can buy for our drills. Punched it full of holes job done. But then it will neck dive on you.

Shave the neck oops not so easy but that will need to be done as well.

Saw a video yesterday about these compared to a Squier CV and a Mex Jazz. It was quoted as being too thick.

Sound good they all did. Just glad I bought a Squier 70's CV at the weekend not one of the others.

You don't offend at all!!

If I tried to take any sort of power tool to a bass then I'm sure the results would be offensive to everyone here. My DIY skills are shockingly bad and mostly just involve swearing at inanimate objects. I'd love to have a go at modifying a bass outside of a few things I can do with a screwdriver, but it's not for me I'm afraid 😁

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Geek99 said:

Yes …. Those are the words that Stewblack, much like the Knights who say Nii! Must not hear !

You should probably appease him; I don’t think a shrubbery will cut it, but you could lay a trail of cheap effects pedals for him to follow, gloating with delight at each new acquisitions and then taking them off to his lair in acacia avenue, where he enjoys rolling around in piles of them like some demented dragon in a multi-episode fantasy movie about Rings 

• Like 1

Such an approach would surely end up like this!?

None shall pass (up a new f/x unit)

The Black Knight (or stew in this case) ALWAYS triumphs!

I do wonder tho if Patsy's coconut horse f/x are available in any f/x systems ... 🤔

S'manth x

Edited by Smanth
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, stewblack said:

Can't speak for anyone else but I don't see anything offensive in that. The Jazz is the only HB bass I've ever had that was too heavy. However if he took out so much wood he made it neck dive that's on him!

He didn't have a problem with neck dive that I recal. That was just my observation as to what might happen if you bored large holes into a new guitar or bass

Forstner bits will do the job nicely using a drill stand or pillar drill. Not something you want to do to your vintage instrument unless you describe it a radical relic job.

Edited by Ralf1e

5 hours ago, stewblack said:

Yeah me too. I didn't realise how much I like them, but there's no getting away from it, I love them.

Part of the reason I'm saving for a pricey custom aged sandberg, they do a matching headstock option (300euro though) that has the same degree of aging. Worn hardware, ciggy burn, scuffed edges etc.

• Like 1