Why become a member? ×

Well, they didn't do that when I last went to a gig....

yorks5stringer

O2 branded venues are almost universally sh!te, have been for a while. Overly expensive, usually poor sound, no physical ticket alternatives and a lot of them take a cut from the bands merch.. up to as much as 25%.

https://www.nme.com/news/music/the-big-moon-call-out-venue-for-taking-cuts-of-merch-sales-and-announce-alternative-pop-up-store-3318896

One benefit of getting old and having an unconventional taste in music is most of the bands I want to see live are playing smaller venues and a lot of them are so much better and cheaper (tickets and beer) than the bigger O2 and similar venues. 

I'm also really fortunate to have one of the best independent venues in the county 10 minutes walk away. I'll go and see loads of bands I wouldn't normally in there because it's close, convenient, cheap and really good sound. They also occasionally get the odd big band like Foo Fighters and McCartney. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SteveXFR said:

I'm also really fortunate to have one of the best independent venues in the county 10 minutes walk away. I'll go and see loads of bands I wouldn't normally in there because it's close, convenient, cheap and really good sound. They also occasionally get the odd big band like Foo Fighters and McCartney. 

Presumably the Cheese and Grain, Frome? Or are you keeping it a secret in case we pee on your leg?😂

8 hours ago, leschirons said:

I need to get into jazz so I can also play sitting down

I played at the Morecombe punk'n'ska fest this year sitting down! Though I suspect I could get away with it due to having a broken leg! Perhaps the answer is to put on a snap-on cast on the way to the gig?

• Haha 2

21 hours ago, BassBunny said:

The worst imho, booking service is Dice, which appears to be gathering traction for small to medium sized venues.

Booked to see John Cooper Clarke at the newly reopened CIS in Manchester.

You can't get your tickets/QR code until 2hrs before the doors open. You have to "activate" the tickets at the 2hr point and then the QR code appears. I tried to find a way of printing them beforehand, but no joy. Had to activate on a Metro tram on the way into town. 

There is a slight upside to this process in that you can email the tickets to someone for them to use before they are activated.

The only reason for this that I can think of, is to try and cut down on scalping.

• 2 weeks later...

As a post script to the gig, one of my 'jokes' when I'm asked where I parked for an inaccessible gig is "Bus Lane"...just got a nice letter from Bristol Parking Enforcement asking me for £35 for driving in a bus lane at 11.08 after the gig. I have no defence other than I am not familiar with the city roads, which I don't think will work!

Still got a nice B/W photo of my car  in leafy Bristol....!

18 minutes ago, yorks5stringer said:

As a post script to the gig, one of my 'jokes' when I'm asked where I parked for an inaccessible gig is "Bus Lane"...just got a nice letter from Bristol Parking Enforcement asking me for £35 for driving in a bus lane at 11.08 after the gig. I have no defence other than I am not familiar with the city roads, which I don't think will work!

Still got a nice B/W photo of my car  in leafy Bristol....!

Both Bristol and Bath fund all council services by motoring charges :)

I got a £35 fine in bath for passing through a 'busses only until 18:00' lane at 17:58, following 3 other cars.

14 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

Both Bristol and Bath fund all council services by motoring charges :)

I got a £35 fine in bath for passing through a 'busses only until 18:00' lane at 17:58, following 3 other cars.

Since Bath has gone all anti car I just don't go there any more. It costs a fortune to park, the traffic is terrible and if you so much as fart out of key you'll get a fine of twelfty million pounds. 

45 minutes ago, SteveXFR said:

Since Bath has gone all anti car I just don't go there any more. It costs a fortune to park, the traffic is terrible and if you so much as fart out of key you'll get a fine of twelfty million pounds. 

Probably all true. On the other hand, bristol has a new scheme where they charge double for on street parking now to encourage you to use the bus. And with that also, it has scaled back bus services as noone is using them, and they have a bus strike.

Its the carrot and the stick approach, except they are all out of carrots

2 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

Probably all true. On the other hand, bristol has a new scheme where they charge double for on street parking now to encourage you to use the bus. And with that also, it has scaled back bus services as noone is using them, and they have a bus strike.

The VOI e-scooters are a good alternative whilst I await the delivery of a Swytch kit. Driving in Bristol has always been a pain.

8 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

I went to Brizzle on Sunday and couldn't find anywhere to park on a street that didn't have double yellow lines. The nearest car park was a long walk from where I wanted to go.

It's hardly surprising everyone does their shopping online. 

Anthrax, right?

I hate those phone tickets, I never have my glasses on to get into the Ticketmaster app, and what are you meant to do if your phone runs run out of battery?

I have never been to Bristol 02 before, was rather bemused by the airport security style scanners, could do without emptying all the shizzle out of my pockets though ...

Sold out gig, wasnt it. Absolutely rammed. I couldn't find my way around or figure out how to get upstairs/downstairs when I first came in, it was so crowded. But as luck would have it, I had a wander in the general flow of direction, got a spot down on the rail AND I caught a pick (yay!)

This handing out the water biz after the show is abit nanny state but I can't knock it. Still went straight to the bar and downed another pint of tap water before I left.

The week before I was at Birmingham 02 for Carcass. No scanners but had to empty out all the pockets for a wand wave on the door. The security guy tried to take my hairbrush off me, said I couldn't go in with it. Following a brief discussion, he conceded with a "Don't hit anybody with it, alright?!" and off I swan into the venue. I was wearing a bullet belt but hey, better watch out for my Tangle Teaser there, folks.

I give up ...

20221007_011041.jpg

Edited by DawnPatroller

24 minutes ago, DawnPatroller said:

Anthrax, right?

I hate those phone tickets, I never have my glasses on to get into the Ticketmaster app, and what are you meant to do if your phone runs run out of battery?

I have never been to Bristol 02 before, was rather bemused by the airport security style scanners, could do without emptying all the shizzle out of my pockets though ...

Sold out gig, wasnt it. Absolutely rammed. I couldn't find my way around or figure out how to get upstairs/downstairs when I first came in, it was so crowded. But as luck would have it, I had a wander in the general flow of direction, got a spot down on the rail AND I caught a pick (yay!)

This handing out the water biz after the show is abit nanny state but I can't knock it. Still went straight to the bar and downed another pint of tap water before I left.

The week before I was at Birmingham 02 for Carcass. No scanners but had to empty out all the pockets for a wand wave on the door. The security guy tried to take my hairbrush off me, said I couldn't go in with it. Following a brief discussion, he conceded with a "Don't hit anybody with it, alright?!" and off I swan into the venue. I was wearing a bullet belt but hey, better watch out for my Tangle Teaser there, folks.

I give up ...

20221007_011041.jpg

Watch out for raised itchy skin bumps with a black centre...