Why become a member? ×

How Long? Cables.

Chienmortbb

What Cable Length?  

35 members have voted

1. 1. I am making a cable for the raffle at the SW Bass Bash. I said I would make it 6 metres long but then began to think that I woud not use a 6 metre cable, so can you help by telling me your preference.

• 2 Metres
    • 3 Metres
    • 4 Metres
    • 5 Metres
    • 6 Metres
    • 2.5 Metres
    • 3.5 Metres
    • 4.5 Metres
    • 5.5 Metres

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 06/10/22 at 11:00

I am making a cable for the raffle at the SW Bass Bash. I said I would make it 6 metres long but then began to think that I woud not use a 6 metre cable, so can you help by telling me your preference.

Edited by Chienmortbb
Added half metre lengths added

30 foot, sorry, about 10 metres for me.  Anything shorter and you can guarantee that you will get to one or more gigs where the lead will not be long enough.  I've had to lend leads to guitarists on many gigs where they thought their 6 metre lead was long enough and it wasn't.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, itu said:

1) learn to coil the cable,

Agreed, it is a skill worth developing and makes life easier all round.

1 hour ago, itu said:

2) use quality silicone cable,

Again I agree, Sommer, Klotz or Mogami. Van Damme guitar cable has let me down several times over the years, so I never use it.

1 hour ago, itu said:

3) use plugs from Neutrik

Getting boring, but in general I agree. There are some good plugs made by others, but few have the quality range that Neutrik have. I also like many of Neutrik's budget range, Rean.

2 hours ago, itu said:

4) add a velcro to the amp end (Neutrik silent is in the bass end), and

Other hook and loop systems are available. I have Velcro on all my cables and put them on all the longer cables, I sold. I think I will offer it as a no cost option in future.

2 hours ago, itu said:

always have a spare cable in your bass case.

Or 2 or 3. Happy to make them for you…

On a serious point, I have been thinking about doing a thread on cables and connectors. It will have to wait until after the SW Bass Bash.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Chienmortbb said:

Or 2 or 3. Happy to make them for you…

While working in Outside Broadcasting, I made and fixed quite many cables: 1/4", Bantams, multicores at least up to 24 balanced channels, digital... We used connectors from LEMO (yes, those tiny ones), Amphenol & Souriau (yes, the big ones), Neutrik etc., so I think I am now able to build some cables. We also fixed mixers, as well as built and fixed patch bays in cars (very uncomfortable!).

Once we were building an OB car and went to a local dealer to buy two boxes of Neutrik XLRs. Came back to the office just to find out that we needed a few more boxes. The next week the same lady behind the dealer's desk said to us:

"You can solder them twice or even more, you don't have to buy a new one every time."

Thank you anyway, very polite offer from you.

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, itu said:

While working in Outside Broadcasting, I made and fixed quite many cables: 1/4", Bantams, multicores at least up to 24 balanced channels, digital... We used connectors from LEMO (yes, those tiny ones), Amphenol & Souriau (yes, the big ones), Neutrik etc.,

I used to work for Panasonic Broadcast, got to love those ******* Lemo connectors. I tried using Amphenol for guitar cables, but the good ones had a horrible cable retention systems that, to my mind, was not ideal. There were also as expensive as Neutrik. HiCon are OK, but again the range varies from superb to cheap and nasty.

• Haha 1