Why become a member? ×

Tried listening to The Stranglers today....

Beedster

So, following on from recent forays into 70's Prog with Yes and Genesis I delved back into that other major force in 70's prog The Stranglers....

And wow I'd forgotten just how bloody amazing they were, and how prog they were (certainly far more prog than the punk label they had in '77/78 would suggest). Elements of Squire bass tone and Emerson keyboards? 

And this is just one of the best tracks ever recorded (in my humble opinion of course)

• Like 20

The Stranglers..... prog?!!??? 😲😱. Don't hear it myself. Sure the keyboards are reminiscent of the Doors. While the sound wasn't ever really punk, in the early years their attitude definitely was.  Some of their best tunes are from their mellow more pop phase with gems like Always The Sun, Skin Deep, La Folie, Life Shows No Mercy as well as the ubiquitous Golden Brown. Incidentally I've always considered Hugh Cornwell's guitar playing very overlooked. Many of their songs contain tasteful, melodic and pointful solos.

Edited by Barking Spiders
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Barking Spiders said:

The Stranglers..... prog?!!??? 😲😱. Don't hear it myself. Sure the keyboards are reminiscent of the Doors. While the sound wasn't ever really punk, in the early years their attitude definitely was.  Some of their best tunes are from their mellow more pop phase with gems like Always The Sun, Skin Deep, La Folie, Life Shows No Mercy as well as the ubiquitous Golden Brown.

The instrumental parts of side 2 of Rattus Norvegicus could be passed off as unreleased Yes tracks to anyone who wasn't familiar with The Stranglers.

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, BigRedX said:

The instrumental parts of side 2 of Rattus Norvegicus could be passed off as unreleased Yes tracks to anyone who wasn't familiar with The Stranglers.

Absolutely, absolutely!!!

Funnily enough my Stranglers revisit started on Sunday when I found my old Rattus Norvegicus t-shirt in a box and wore it to a BBQ, from where a few people asked what it was , from where I played some of it and from where I was damned if it didn't sound quite a lot like, as you say, some Yes bass and keys 👍

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Lozz196 said:

Yep, when the song starts it sounds like it`s on the stereo, but when the bass comes in it sounds like it`s actually in the room with you.

Glorious isn't it, grabs you by the throat and doesn't let go. An early Sounds review said something along the lines "The bass sounds like there's a barracuda in the room with you' :) 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Beedster said:

Despite the considerable competition at the time, circa 1977 JJB was and remains the most iconic of bass players. And that's before you factor in those extraordinary lines and the totally unique tone.....

image.thumb.png.7db7dfdb62739c45eb7a0190a8301b1f.png

I should point out that it was his Fender Precision his early sound was known for. The Yamaha BB2000 in that picture wasn’t particularly representative of his bass tone on the early albums but featured on later ones. 

And just in case anyone missed it on the BB Mega Thread, here’s the actual neck from the bass in the picture: -

C9A777B2-5789-4485-9CEE-F0F4487AB0BF.jpeg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BigRedX said:

that leaves just parts c and d of Down In the Sewer then. Cant hear anything remotely prog in songs like Ugly, Sometimes, Something Better Change, London Lady, No More Heroes, I Feel Like W** and Dagenham Dave. Take out the keys and they're pure punk especially with HC's sneering vocal style and J-J's aggressive bark

Edited by Barking Spiders
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Barking Spiders said:

that leaves just parts c and d of Down In the Sewer then. Cant hear anything remotely prog in songs like Ugly, Sometimes, Something Better Change, London Lady, No More Heroes, I Feel Like W** and Dagenham Dave. Take out the keys and they're pure punk especially with HC's sneering vocal style and J-J's aggressive bark

Interesting what we hear when we listen to music, just saw Stranglers described online as a rare example of a keyboard-led band, which isn't how I'd ever have thought of them until Sunday? I can hear prog in Heroes, Grip and Walk on By for sure :) 

1 hour ago, Velarian said:

I should point out that it was his Fender Precision his early sound was known for. The Yamaha BB2000 in that picture wasn’t particularly representative of his bass tone on the early albums but featured on later ones. 

And just in case anyone missed it on the BB Mega Thread, here’s the actual neck from the bass in the picture: -

C9A777B2-5789-4485-9CEE-F0F4487AB0BF.jpeg

Noticed it was a Yamaha after I posted it, don;t think I'd ever seen him without a Fender. Re that neck, I'd rebuild a bass around it if it was mine 👍

I'm on record on here somewhere as to that bass at 0:14 on Hanging Around being my trigger into decades of faffing about with basses...culminating (on the JJB side) with a signed Shuker JJB P turning up any time soon...

Imagine my disappointment (also on record here) when I went to see them a couple of months ago and JJB's sound was...gone. I'm hoping it was a one-night aberration (I've heard from elsewhere it was better on other nights), and they had switched to in-ears only for the tour, so that was probably it, but I was properly gutted...

• Sad 2