Why become a member? ×

John Taylor Signature Dingwall Combustion

Napalmnun

On 12/09/2022 at 11:37, Lozz196 said:

See what you mean re the Rio vibes @Eldon Tyrell, that`s a pretty nice touch, discreet enough to not be off-putting for a non-DD/JT fan who just likes the bass itself. 

Agreed Loz - Fender should take note of this type of approach and drop the West Ham crest from the Steve Harris sig.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, LewisK1975 said:

Agreed Loz - Fender should take note of this type of approach and drop the West Ham crest from the Steve Harris sig.

I 2nd that about the Steve Harris bass. The WH livery is the only reason I don’t own one. I wish the made either the blue sparkle, the blue crackle, or even the lesser known candy apple red one which was the inspiration to customise my ‘86 P bass. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, mattbass6 said:

I 2nd that about the Steve Harris bass. The WH livery is the only reason I don’t own one. I wish the made either the blue sparkle, the blue crackle, or even the lesser known candy apple red one which was the inspiration to customise my ‘86 P bass. 

@mattbass6, here is a used one in royal blue in case you are interested (not my bass, no affiliation with the seller):

https://richtonemusic.co.uk/fender-mij-steve-harris-precision-bass-royal-blue-metallic-bag-2nd-hand/  

• Like 1

22 hours ago, LewisK1975 said:

6 minutes ago, mattbass6 said:

But then what makes his bass any different from any other P-Bass?

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, BigRedX said:

Exactly. Given that football is quite an emotive area, I never thought it made a great selling point having the Hammers logo on it, but if it wasn’t there, it wouldn’t be the same as Steve Harris’ bass. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, BigRedX said:

It makes it Steve Harris’s bass because it is based on his specs. His no.1 was originally black, then he got it resprayed blue sparkle which I gave to say, is still the colour mist Maiden fans from that time, prefer. He also has a ‘59 resprayed in black and white chequers.

Like any signature bass, what makes them a signature bass……. The spec, and the signature. 

56 minutes ago, Eldon Tyrell said:

@mattbass6, here is a used one in royal blue in case you are interested (not my bass, no affiliation with the seller):

https://richtonemusic.co.uk/fender-mij-steve-harris-precision-bass-royal-blue-metallic-bag-2nd-hand/  

Oh my! I’ve always wanted one of those. If my house move goes according to plan, and that is still there, I will go for that. Thank you buddy ☺️

1 hour ago, mattbass6 said:

It makes it Steve Harris’s bass because it is based on his specs. His no.1 was originally black, then he got it resprayed blue sparkle which I gave to say, is still the colour mist Maiden fans from that time, prefer. He also has a ‘59 resprayed in black and white chequers.

Like any signature bass, what makes them a signature bass……. The spec, and the signature. 

But it's still just a P-Bass with a paint job. Close your eyes and it's no different to any other.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Eldon Tyrell said:

£1500!! Blimey, that's double what I paid for mine new!

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, BigRedX said:

But it's still just a P-Bass with a paint job. Close your eyes and it's no different to any other.

As it would be with or without the WHU crest on it, which was my original point in response to Lozz, it IS off-putting for many.  More to the point, ANY P Bass, be it black, white, red, blue or sunburst is just a paint job.  We all have our preferences.  I've yet to meet anyone who doesn't consider aesthetics AT ALL when buying a guitar / bass..

The SH sig also has the Mirror Pickguard, and I think now his SPB-4 Seymour Duncan pickup, plus his signature rotosound Flatwounds.  All unique to that model..

• Like 1

Yes I agree that aesthetics are absolutely important. I am a Gus owner after all. However I fail to see what the attraction is for a signature bass that has no distinguishing features from the standard model other than the colour and/or graphics.

For me the whole point of having a signature bass is that it would offer something noticeably different in terms playability or sound.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, mattbass6 said:

Oh my! I’ve always wanted one of those. If my house move goes according to plan, and that is still there, I will go for that. Thank you buddy ☺️

At £1500?!! I'm sure you could pick one up for less than that, my friend. 

3 hours ago, BigRedX said:

It's different to my P Basses in so much as it weighs a ton due to the maple body and it's got a neck on it like a tree trunk, as well as strings so taught that they will turn an ordinary man's fingers to mincemeat.

If these signature models are an accurate representation of what Steve Harris plays then it only heightens my admiration for a formidable bass player. These basses are definitely a niche product, regardless of the WHU decal.

I suppose you could put a sticker of your own preferred club crest over it, or if you can afford it get the Fender Custom Shop to make you one with a picture of your favourite snooker player on it. Probably wouldn't be quite as rock and roll, though.

• Like 1

On 14/09/2022 at 13:09, LewisK1975 said:

Just make your own :lol:

A guy I know built one as a tribute to Steve Harris, but painted it in the colours of his local pro club ADO Den Haag. I think he later also added a custom decal with the Fender badge but in his local dialect (in The Hague that would be "Fendâh"). I think it's awesome B|

Foto-MZEIJFR7.jpg Foto-MVPVDOKJ.jpg

• Like 5

The guy who installed the frets on those basses in the OP should be fired!

Not one single straight one!

Must had been heavily drugged up.

Also one thing is to have crappy quality control, but at least don't display the failed units. 9_9

:crazy:

Edited by Baloney Balderdash
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 13/09/2022 at 15:49, Misdee said:

My only reservation about Dingwall basses is how much sense the fanned frets ect make for a four string bass. Otherwise I am all-in on one of these.

It's not just about the B.  The E and A on my NG3 sound really balanced.  You still get great tension with lighter strings.  My NG3 is tuned down a whole step with standard gauge strings.  The effect of downtuning seems far less pronounced than standard scale length basses.  Not necessarily better, just different.

I like the colour of the JTDD but not so much the stripes even though they're not a deal breaker. It's missing at least one string for my tastes though.

Re the Steve Harris P, I'm concerned if I had a soccer club logo on it, I'd want to fall over all the time and cry whilst holding a leg.

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...