Why become a member? ×

Can anyone identify the make of this bass

bigmuff69

2 minutes ago, Frank Blank said:

Always worth running it past @Bassassin...

Already on it, & I'm pretty sure it's not any of the Fernandes or Kawai Alembic clones. Looks a bit hand-made & (dare I say it) a tad crude to be anything coming out of Japan in the '80s. Fernandes catalogue here, check p. 18:

https://www.fernandes.co.jp/fer_wp/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/1981_vol1.pdf

And conveniently, a BCer is selling a Kawai version:

I'd be inclined to think it's a luthier-made one off, and possibly (although people on here will know better than me) a very early Jaydee.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Bassassin said:

I'd be inclined to think it's a luthier-made one off, and possibly (although people on here will know better than me) a very early Jaydee.

My thoughts precisely, to me it looks like a Jaydee prototype but that's purely a response to seeing it with absolutely no knowledge whatsoever.

Edited by Frank Blank

14 hours ago, fleabag said:

There's a luthier called  John Soderlund , who goes by the name of JGS Guitars by i have no idea if it's the same guy that built yours

He only started his company in 2010 though, and not in the UK but in Pietermaritzburg, South Africa. This site pictures a fairly modern build with a serial number of #51: https://jedistar.com/jgs/ 

I Googled a bit, and apparently there is a Jim Cairnes who was a pickup designer for Burns, but also dabbled in luthiery. Maybe there's a trail worth investigating? https://jedistar.com/jim-cairnes/ 

Edited by LeftyJ

22 hours ago, yorks5stringer said:

Looks like you can plug your mic into it too....    😉                    

1 hour ago, RAR 1977 said:

I would have thought JD would be very miffed to have been associated with such a thing. Looks own made crud electronics even for 1978. Must need an external power supply  through the RadioSpares 5 pin DIN

Far more likely to be a balanced line output. However if it's like the one on the Overwater I used to own, it may require the jack lead to be plugged in to turn on the power which kind of defeats the object. 

On 05/09/2022 at 12:46, ambient said:

Ashley Pangbourne?

He built Alembic style instruments in the 1980s.

This is about the closest guess I have seen so far.  Ashley Pangborn started in the late 70's around the same time as Jaydee set up his own shop, which would fit with the date.  I have seen the electronics in early Pangborn's and they were definitely rather "home-made" looking too - he also used vero board and he used Omega brand pots.  Against, I would think the serial number would be too high if this were the 133rd instrument made by 1978.  Frankly, the best thing about Pangborn basses was the woodworking, which was excellent on his later instruments.  This one seems a bit crude, but the ergonomics on the early Pangborn basses also needed refining.  I have an early one where the break angle over the nut is simply awful, just defies common sense, so he also had a bit of a learning period.  I have never seen a Pangborn with an Alembic style headstock, but mine has a Musicman 3+1 arrangement so he wasn't averse to borrowing.  Like this one, Ashley used M4S Schaller tuners and the shape of the control cavity and what I assume is a battery cover also look to be about the same.  Coincidence, probably.  What brand are the pick-ups?

Edited by GeeCee
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, GeeCee said:

This is about the closest guess I have seen so far.  Ashley Pangborn started in the late 70's around the same time as Jaydee set up his own shop, which would fit with the date.  I have seen the electronics in early Pangborn's and they were definitely rather "home-made" looking too - he also used vero board and he used Omega brand pots.  Against, I would think the serial number would be too high if this were the 133rd instrument made by 1978.  Frankly, the best thing about Pangborn basses was the woodworking, which was excellent on his later instruments.  This one seems a bit crude, but the ergonomics on the early Pangborn basses also needed refining.  I have an early one where the break angle over the nut is simply awful, just defies common sense, so he also had a bit of a learning period.  I have never seen a Pangborn with an Alembic style headstock, but mine has a Musicman 3+1 arrangement so he wasn't averse to borrowing.  Like this one, Ashley used M4S Schaller tuners and the shape of the control cavity and what I assume is a battery cover also look to be about the same.  Coincidence, probably.  What brand are the pick-ups?

I’ve never seen a Pangborn in real life. I did a Google search before I posted my reply; there doesn’t seem to be many examples of his work about.

To be honest, it would be asking a lot to have gone from this example - which I actually quite like - to the one featured in the very old magazine I have, with the dragon inlays and LED eyes, in just four years or so.