Why become a member? ×

Can anyone identify the make of this bass

bigmuff69

7 hours ago, ambient said:

I’ve never seen a Pangborn in real life. I did a Google search before I posted my reply; there doesn’t seem to be many examples of his work about.

To be honest, it would be asking a lot to have gone from this example - which I actually quite like - to the one featured in the very old magazine I have, with the dragon inlays and LED eyes, in just four years or so.

He did progress quickly.  The bass with the dragon inlays was a bit special though.  These are all Pangborns.  The earliest is the red bass and the newest one is the 5 string jazz bass (though that is pushing 30 years old now).

IMG_5404.JPG

Edited by GeeCee
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, GeeCee said:

He did progress quickly.  The bass with the dragon inlays was a bit special though.  These are all Pangborns.  The earliest is the red bass and the newest one is the 5 string jazz bass (though that is pushing 30 years old now).

IMG_5404.JPG

Are they your instruments?

The one in the centre of the group looks fabulous.

3 hours ago, ambient said:

Are they your instruments?

The one in the centre of the group looks fabulous.

Yes, that particular bass was owned by Steve Stroud who played with Buck Fizz (and married one of the women I believe) and then passed to another basschatter, Scojack.  Been through a few Basschatter hands since then.  Actually has a really nice neck and plays very well.  Obviously influenced by Jaydee.  The jazz bass is 36 inch scale (I think).  Bought from a pawn store in Florida.  Had Pat Wilkins work on that and he was quite impressed with it.  The red bass has an aluminium fretless fingerboard.  Bought on here and restored by Doug Wilkes.  It works, sort of.  Gives you an idea of the range of work he did though.  None of the instruments is the same.  The later stuff is better than the earlier stuff.  Apparently, he was working on headless basses with graphite necks in Germany in the early 90s and is now MIA.

Edited by GeeCee
  • Like 1