Why become a member? ×

Just curious!?

nilorius

1 minute ago, nilorius said:

. . . . thre are 20 bassists to choose that can play simple level, so how can i prove that i am better at least 15 from them??????????????????

Sometimes you can't. Sometimes being better doesn't matter to a bandleader. There are many other reasons that guys are asked to join bands.

Sometime you can the the best player in town and you still won't get the gig. If no one wants to use you, then you have to look very hard at your situation. Maybe you smell, turn up late, don't buy a round, have a nasty attitude or reputation. Or maybe you really aren't as good as you think you are. Or maybe it's none of those. I got kicked out of a band so the bandleader could get his mate in. His mate was nothing special, other than being a a mate! Being a mate is a surprisingly common reason for someone to be given the gig.

I see guys getting gigs I can do, and many that I could do better. So why aren't I getting those phone calls? Becoming prominent in a local scene can take hard work, it can take time and sometimes it never happens.

All you can do is be the best you can be. If that still gets you nowhere, the only thing you can do is start your own band.

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, nilorius said:

Finally, i think the best way is to ask the band, just before playing, "well, what way do You want me to play - very simple, narmal or advanced"?

The best thing to do is to leave your ego at the door and listen to what the band needs you to play, rather than just playing complex for the sake of playing complex.

If you genuinely are 'better' than the other players, it will be obvious even if you are playing simple lines.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, nilorius said:

Don't say you can!

Well, we've tried to explain it to you, but you won't have it.

We understand that rejection can be hurtful. You've been turned down by a band and you're not happy about it. However, you will do yourself no favours if you continue to insist that the problem lies with others and not with you.

You went to an audition, had an argument with the other musicians, tried to impose your way of doing things on them and they turned you down. No surprises there. You need to be able to get on with your band mates. Anyone who looks like being trouble is not even going to get the gig in the first place.

So you post on here and complain how unfair it is, claim that you're some kind of musical genius and slag off other bass players? I think I can safely say that none of us would hire you, based on what you have said today, even if you were as good as you claim, because you would be difficult to get along with personally.

13 minutes ago, nilorius said:

Finally, i think the best way is to ask the band, just before playing, "well, what way do You want me to play - very simple, narmal or advanced"?

Based on the sample of your playing that you provided, I would be wary about claiming you are an "advanced" player.

I don't expect you will listen to any of this. Your pride will not allow you to consider the fact that you have shortcomings, personally or as a player. It's rather sad.

Edited by Dan Dare
  • Like 5

Just now, chris_b said:

Sometime you can the the best player in town and you still won't get the gig. If no one wants to use you, then you have to look very hard at your situation.

The situation in which Jaco found himself, sadly :(

• Like 1

1 hour ago, nilorius said:

What about other bassists they couldchoose, there are plenty of weak, slow and smiling bassists around. If i play just standarts and simple grooves, i can't show them that i can be better.

But if you're showing off in a manner that doesn't fit the band, then you're not showing them you can be better.

This applies to most things, not just playing bass in a band.

• Like 1

I cooperate with 3 money bands which sometimes need full set up and they had no problems with my playing - never before and after pandemia period. All of them are pros and know what they are doing. Doesn't it sound wierd ? But after ALL. Thank YOU all for your advices, don't think anyone will change his mind, any way i will keep all Your sujestions in mind !!! Good buy!

14 minutes ago, nilorius said:

Competent players? What do You know about the start of that competent and professional band ? I think - nothing.

Well, actually, they told me that they tried out some bloke on fretless but he was really up himself, wouldn't listen to a word, and wasn't all that good. So they didn't bother with him and got someone else who could play simply if required, could do the complicated stuff but wasn't obsessed with it, and who got on well with everyone in the band.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, nilorius said:

S i said before - thre are 20 bassists to choose that can play simple level, so how can i prove that i am better at least 15 from them??????????????????

Easy: by listening to what's been played and contribute to the whole song making it sound good, and being a team player.

The busiest guys I know are good, but not necessarily the most proficient technically, however they're personable and dependable. 

You don't need to be the best technical player from the whole lot of bassists available, you just need to fit best with what they're doing, musically and as a person. Don't take it to heart if you get rejected, just move on and keep looking for that project that fits also what YOU want to be doing.

• Like 2