Why become a member? ×

Show us your rig of choice for the weekend ** Basschat edition**

bassace97

Mine from NYE, I was giving the MarkBass a shakedown as I use that as my back up amp to my DB750, the MB has been super reliable but a couple of months back it stopped working mid gig, I finished that gig by DI'ing from my Darkglass Alpha Omega straight to the PA (it sounded pretty good tbh), hence the Trace Elliott on standby.

I'd had the MB amp checked by a tech who could find nothing wrong, so that got me to thinking that maybe the power strip on the back of the rack case was faulty, swapped that out for a new one and thankfully problem solved.

D14F12B2-82AF-4654-B78C-D1D6C233D86B.jpeg

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/10/2022 at 00:32, DGBass said:

Same as it ever is... at the last gig and the next gig. A long chassis ABM, a P-Bass and a big high power folded horn cab for venue shaking bass 😁 

426604249_Screenshot2022-10-12at00_25_10.thumb.png.a2c2785041c2c1a7cf1d7bdba2c08da5.png

I used to have one of those Musicman boxes. Wonderful device.  Got it from the Bass Centre in the late eighties. Came in a flightcase, ex Entwhistle apparently. Due to lack of space after a subsequernt flat move  I had to sell both that and my 810 Trace box (made in Essex). Sorriest move I ever made. regret it to this day....

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, W1_Pro said:

I used to have one of those Musicman boxes. Wonderful device. 

I've owned two of these over the years. First one was given to me for free by a retired player back in the late eighties/early nineties and was gigged for over a decade until I sold it on. The second current one in the pic was also donated by an old guitarist aquaintance of mine who rescued it from a skip around 2013. It was fully restored a year later and been my go-to cab since.  Just makes a wonderful deep bass sound and currently at 23kg its not bad considering its size. The originals were 75 watt 8 ohm cabs ( RH115-75) and this one is pimped slightly with an 18mm baffle instead of the original thin fenderish spec 12mm one, a modern high performance 400 watt Neo driver and combi speakons to bring it up to date. I would agree, wonderful and fairly scarce devices these days with plenty life in them yet. 

1 hour ago, DGBass said:

I've owned two of these over the years. First one was given to me for free by a retired player back in the late eighties/early nineties and was gigged for over a decade until I sold it on. The second current one in the pic was also donated by an old guitarist aquaintance of mine who rescued it from a skip around 2013. It was fully restored a year later and been my go-to cab since.  Just makes a wonderful deep bass sound and currently at 23kg its not bad considering its size. The originals were 75 watt 8 ohm cabs ( RH115-75) and this one is pimped slightly with an 18mm baffle instead of the original thin fenderish spec 12mm one, a modern high performance 400 watt Neo driver and combi speakons to bring it up to date. I would agree, wonderful and fairly scarce devices these days with plenty life in them yet. 

So thats a single 15? Mine was the 2 12 version. I was never sure that it wasn't actually a guitar cab funnily enough, but it certainly did the business in terms of sound. 

It had electrovoice 12's in it iirc. Made in Buchanan, MI. They were the days.....😃

36 minutes ago, W1_Pro said:

So thats a single 15? Mine was the 2 12 version. I was never sure that it wasn't actually a guitar cab funnily enough, but it certainly did the business in terms of sound. 

It had electrovoice 12's in it iirc. Made in Buchanan, MI. They were the days.....😃

I seem to remember the MM cabs were marketed for either bass or guitar. 

Got an old catalogue somewhere - Clapton’s band all used them in the late 70’s.

Either standard MM drivers (Eminence maybe?) or EV as an option. As you

say, 1x15 or 2x12 configurations available.

• Like 1

On 18/01/2023 at 21:09, Thor said:

I’m considering giving this a run out on Friday night, not sure about the cab, it’s a monster to move around and have heard conflicting reports regarding performance.

740CC847-94A4-42CE-91F3-99EB34CBC2BA.jpeg

How do you find the VBA400? Did it get it's run out ?

30 minutes ago, bassace97 said:

How do you find the VBA400? Did it get it's run out ?

Absolutely awesome, really pleased with it, I used the GS412 with it as the Bassman cab pretty much fills the load area of my car.  I’d been mulling over getting a valve amp for a while and almost pulled the trigger on a SVT - this thing goes into overdrive and just sounds like I was hoping and wanting it to, yes it’s super heavy at 76lbs, almost double the weight of my DB750 (and that’s pretty heavy at 46lbs) but totally worth the effort😊👍🏻🤘

C1545755-56B0-48C1-97A4-678FB207D23F.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Thor said:

Absolutely awesome, really pleased with it, I used the GS412 with it as the Bassman cab pretty much fills the load area of my car.  I’d been mulling over getting a valve amp for a while and almost pulled the trigger on a SVT - this thing goes into overdrive and just sounds like I was hoping and wanting it to, yes it’s super heavy at 76lbs, almost double the weight of my DB750 (and that’s pretty heavy at 46lbs) but totally worth the effort😊👍🏻🤘

What is the tone like compared to an SVT? I see these come up from time to time and I've always been intrigued by them.  Don't see many big bands using these, the only one I can think of off the top of my head is Doves.

I’d say it’s not as dark as an SVT (although that could be to do with the cab) - I’ve heard folks say the EQ on these can seem a bit limited, I did have the deep switch and bright switch engaged, left the table and bass controls at noon and boosted the mids a touch - to my ears it sounded quite articulate for a valve amp, despite plenty of overdriven tones, I was digging in hard during a couple of Nirvana covers and you could clearly hear the difference.

Really pleased with it👍🏻😊

On 21/01/2023 at 21:12, Thor said:

I just had a go with a VBA400 at band practice and it was a monster! A big change from my GK Fusion S head!

• Like 3