Why become a member? ×

Buying from EU query

dmccombe7

Has anyone bought something from EU recently.

Just wondering how long it took to get delivered.

Handbox WB-100 was collected from HB on 5th Aug and despatched from Poland on 8th Aug but no change in status since.

I've never really bought from outside UK especially since Brexit so no exxperience of how long things take these days.

Anyone offer any insight or advice.

Dave

• Like 1

I bought a Helicon case from Poland - it took ages (maybe about three weeks?) to arrive, due to the Ukraine situation, Brexit and covid.

The further good news is that when it arrives, you'll probably have to pay VAT, import taxes, window tax etc etc etc

Sorry, this probably isn't what you wanted to hear!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, StingRayBoy42 said:

I bought a Helicon case from Poland - it took ages (maybe about three weeks?) to arrive, due to the Ukraine situation, Brexit and covid.

The further good news is that when it arrives, you'll probably have to pay VAT, import taxes, window tax etc etc etc

Sorry, this probably isn't what you wanted to hear!

Very little 'probably' about it, but I'm certain Dave knows that.

Hope the amp is everything you want. Your patience deserves a fitting reward.

• Thanks 1

I got a bass from the US which needed tax paid. NZ Post stuffed up the addressing of the letter of demand so the letter got returned to sender. Much consternation as tracking had stopped at arrival.

I'd say since you have tax due for sure there's every likelihood you'll be getting a letter of demand from someone once it hits your shores.

From the other end of the postal chain I’ve recently had items take up to four weeks to arrive here from the UK. Used to take about 6 days. 

And yes, import / customs duties might well happen. I just paid €16 to receive a £5 secondhand mic. And that took 30 days to get from Brighton to the south of France.

Things do seem to take longer now.

1 hour ago, meterman said:

... I just paid €16 to receive a £5 secondhand mic...

I had a tiny item to send to UK, and saw the paperwork involved. Luckily, I know a local Brit with a cottage nearby who travels regularly around Europe and the UK. He took my tiny packet to Blighty and posted it from there; job done. The item will come back to me, in time, posted to my buddy in the UK for him to bring across on his next visit. It's a slow process, but avoids all the bumf nicely. Cheers, Adam..! :hi:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I was aware of Import Tax and VAT on total cost of item and postage together but not "window tax".  What's that about ?

When i looked into HB amps i calculated the approx additional charges and for an all valve amp is excellent value for money and still a lot cheaper than other all valve amps available that i might look at.

The other deciding factor is the amp footprint that will let it sit on my 20" wide Mesa cabs.

@Steve Browning cheers mate its been a long wait for a new amp. I'll still be looking at a Mesa TT800 when they start shipping to UK again just as a back up or for ease of lifting. HB amp is only 16Kg so not bad at all.

Dave

Edited by dmccombe7

IIRC Window Tax was a old time thing about how many windows your house/premises had.

You can still see a lot of bricked up windows in older buildings to avoid paying it.

HTH Dave ?

Edited by 2pods
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, dmccombe7 said:

Has anyone bought something from EU recently.

Just wondering how long it took to get delivered.

Handbox WB-100 was collected from HB on 5th Aug and despatched from Poland on 8th Aug but no change in status since.

I've never really bought from outside UK especially since Brexit so no exxperience of how long things take these days.

Anyone offer any insight or advice.

Dave

Which courier was used?

There've been all sorts of shenanigans in Europe with various couriers going on strike - TNT in Germany for example spent about 2 weeks in June refusing to move anything which was a royal PITA for the company where I work. Our Polish factories have had some issues with couriers as well, still citing Covid but I'm not sure how much is actually down to that in reality vs other factors...

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Merton said:

Which courier was used?

There've been all sorts of shenanigans in Europe with various couriers going on strike - TNT in Germany for example spent about 2 weeks in June refusing to move anything which was a royal PITA for the company where I work. Our Polish factories have had some issues with couriers as well, still citing Covid but I'm not sure how much is actually down to that in reality vs other factors...

It was posted thru Polish National postal service which is linked to our Parcelforce. I can track it thru Parcelforce website.

Dave

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, 2pods said:

IIRC Window Tax was a old time thing about how many windows your house/premises had.

You can still see a lot of bricked up windows in older buildings to avoid paying it.

HTH Dave ?

Thought i was missing something on import costs. 😂

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, yorks5stringer said:

Buying from abroad? Haven't you heard, we've taken back control of our borders from the EU and nothing can get in or out unless the French staff at Dover say 'We we'.

Yep its working a treat for everyone. 

I'm sure there was a benefit in there somewhere, just wish i knew what it was :laugh1:

Dave

Just now, BigRedX said:

The big hold up at the moment (and has been since the beginning of last year) is getting stuff through customs. IME expect it to take up to a month to clear both sets of customs checks.

Cheers for the heads up.