Why become a member? ×

Crass things pop and rock stars say/write in public, part 1 of many no doubt

2 hours ago, Barking Spiders said:

It's one thing being genuinely talented but a total dickw@d but another thing when you're the latter but with all the talent of something you've scraped off the bottom of your shoe. Liam Gallagher's without doubt the worst singer from a successful band of the last 50 years. As for his brother's c@ck songs where do you start the list of cr@pitude? The meaningless drivel that pass for lyrics? the rudimentary guitar, bass and drums accompaniment? Noel's shyt3 guitar playing?. Soz people, Oasis are one band I genuinely do hate and I get carried away.

The guy from RHCP is worse than Liam

Damned with faint praise

8 hours ago, Bagman said:

The guy from RHCP is worse than Liam

Damned with faint praise

Too close to call but yes he's total shyte too and pretty much the main reason I've never been able to stomach that band either. If they'd had a decent singer they'd have been 1000x a better band. Mind you, there are many other bands who'd have been much better with a decent vocalist e.g. Led Zep, Black Sabbath, Dream Theater, Axl Rose, Smashing Pumpkins, Smiths, Springsteen, AC/DC, Cure, Megadeth, Rush, Happy Mondays....

1 minute ago, Barking Spiders said:

Too close to call but yes he's total shyte too and pretty much the main reason I've never been able to stomach that band either. If they'd had a decent singer they'd have been 1000x a better band. Mind you, there are many other bands who'd have been much better with a decent vocalist e.g. Led Zep, Black Sabbath, Dream Theater, Axl Rose, Smashing Pumpkins, Smiths, Springsteen, AC/DC, Cure, Megadeth, Rush, Happy Mondays....

Maybe I am missing something but I would have thought the flaws, complexities and life experience of the individuals in a band (particularly the songwriters) shape the art they produce so I really can’t agree that any of the above bands would have been better with a different singer. 

I also don’t get when society started to take the opinions of people that kick bladders up and down a football pitch or sing for a living seriously let alone comment about it on the news. Really strange world where rock stars are meant to be PR experts and brand ambassadors. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, tegs07 said:

Maybe I am missing something but I would have thought the flaws, complexities and life experience of the individuals in a band (particularly the songwriters) shape the art they produce so I really can’t agree that any of the above bands would have been better with a different singer. 

I also don’t get when society started to take the opinions of people that kick bladders up and down a football pitch or sing for a living seriously let alone comment about it on the news. Really strange world where rock stars are meant to be PR experts and brand ambassadors. 

I take your point as one or two of my fave bands have front men with errm 'singular' sounding voices e.g. Talking Heads but it kinda works. As for those I mentioned, plus The Stones and CCR, while the vocals are what do my head in most there are other reasons I don't care for them e.g. some of the band members are utter dickw@d$ 

2 minutes ago, Barking Spiders said:

I take your point as one or two of my fave bands have front men with errm 'singular' sounding voices e.g. Talking Heads but it kinda works. As for those I mentioned, plus The Stones and CCR, while the vocals are what do my head in most there are other reasons I don't care for them e.g. some of the band members are utter dickw@d$ 

I doubt if there are many bands I really like that I would want to share a house with or date my daughter. Coldplay seem like a nice bunch of lads though but I wouldn’t want to listen to their music.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, tegs07 said:

I doubt if there are many bands I really like that I would want to share a house with or date my daughter. Coldplay seem like a nice bunch of lads though but I wouldn’t want to listen to their music.

Indeed, though I disagree about Coldplay. They are nice blokes, who also make music I prefer listening to than those others ☺️. I do wonder whether all those people who diss Coldplay have listened to their albums, particularly the early ones. But that's another topic for another day

32 minutes ago, Leonard Smalls said:

I remember seeing an early Coldplay supporting Muse at London Astoria (shows how long ago it was). They were a complete snoozefest!

Still, each to their own!

I saw them top the bill at Glastonbury 2016 and they were excellent. They've probably upped their game over the years and are maybe better suited to playing big stadiums

4 minutes ago, Barking Spiders said:

I saw them top the bill at Glastonbury 2016 and they were excellent. They've probably upped their game over the years and are maybe better suited to playing big stadiums

If only they had a decent singer...

:ph34r:

😁

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, PaulWarning said:

a singer that has a 'distinctive' voice  can make a band, other wise they'd all sound like an X Factor winner, whether they're someone's taste is purely personal opinion, I like Liam Gallagher's voice for instance 

Its all in the song writing and live performance. If I had to pick my favourite musician of all time it would most likely be Tom Waits. The best description I have heard of him was he has a voice like a worn out shoe.

As for behaviour most of the bands that I really relate to tend to be comprised of flawed and dis-functional individuals that find some from of release or expression through music. I certainly don’t look to them for moral guidance or social etiquette!

• Like 2

7 hours ago, tegs07 said:

As for behaviour most of the bands that I really relate to tend to be comprised of flawed and dis-functional individuals that find some from of release or expression through music. I certainly don’t look to them for moral guidance or social etiquette!

Exactly. Many artists leave a lot to be desired as people, but that's fine. We don't have to associate with them and can just appreciate their art from a distance. "Shut up 'n play yer guitar", as Frank Zappa (someone you probably wouldn't have wanted to meet if some of the stories about him are true) put it. 

10 hours ago, PaulWarning said:

a singer that has a 'distinctive' voice  can make a band, other wise they'd all sound like an X Factor winner, whether they're someone's taste is purely personal opinion, I like Liam Gallagher's voice for instance 

You're probably right with regards to rock. It's a genre chocka block with distinctive vocalists which from a technical/musical standpoint are found a bit wanting. On the other hand I've never heard any equivalent in Soul. Every single soul singer I've heard can sing well whether solo stars, lead singers in bands or vocal groups. If I were to make a list of my top 20 singers pretty much every one would be a Soul artist. Much of the greatness of many Soul songs is down to the quality of the vocals. Anything less and they'd sound a bit shyte.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, PaulWarning said:

Lou Reed never had a good voice, but it was perfect for what he did with the Velvet Underground. 

• Like 1

On 30/06/2022 at 14:52, Barking Spiders said:

Eight years ago this month Justin Bieber was in Amsterdam and made a visit to the Anne Frank house. On leaving he signed the visitors book writing "Truly inspiring to be able to come here. Anne was a great girl. Hopefully she would have been a belieber."

In the annals of acts of crassness committed by 'stars' this has to be at the top. I mean, where do you start? Any other anecdotes of embarrassingly stupid things they've done or said in public

I totally agree that in terms of crassness it takes some beating but, as one commentator pointed out at the time, at least he was interested enough to actually go to Anne Frank's house!

I remember going to see Kid Creole and the Coconuts at some point in the early 90s.  My expectations were low but they blew me away.  August Darnell can't really sing very well but he has unbelievable charisma and stage presence - scantily clad Coconuts notwithstanding, it was hard to take your eyes off him. [/random memory] :) 

52 minutes ago, Paul S said:

I remember going to see Kid Creole and the Coconuts at some point in the early 90s.  My expectations were low but they blew me away.  August Darnell can't really sing very well but he has unbelievable charisma and stage presence - scantily clad Coconuts notwithstanding, it was hard to take your eyes off him. [/random memory] :) 

I've seen them live twice, both among the very best gigs I've ever seen. That's the thing about AD. Don't think I've seen a performer with his level of charisma and presence. The Coconuts were as sexy as hell to the point I could barely take my eyes off them  either and the band was tighter than a gnat's chuff. Rare gigs which have you coming out of the show feeling really good about life. Plus the music is great fun with witty lyrics.